Help with Stolen Laptop

Please confine these topics to things that would be of general interest to those who are interested in FAH which don't fall into any other category.

Moderator: Site Moderators

helpme

Help with Stolen Laptop

Post by helpme »

My laptop was stolen a couple of weeks ago. I have been checking my FAH stats because I knew my computer was about ready to send a completed packet back to the server. The thief must have turned it on and connected it to the internet last week, because Thursday night it sent a completed packet back to the FAH server.

Does anyone know how I can get any information about where my computer sent that information from? I have reported it to the police and I hope they would be willing to help, but they obviously don't have the time to do some of this kind of work for every stolen laptop. If I could get this information, I think they would be more willing to spend more time helping me.

Thanks
Ivoshiee
Site Moderator

Re: Help with Stolen Laptop

Post by Ivoshiee »

I sent you a PM.
ICE_9

Post by ICE_9 »

Keep this up to date. I would love to hear how this works out.
http://www.hardforum.com

Team [H]ard OCP.
helpme

Post by helpme »

I was able to contact someone at F@H that could provide the IP address to the local police department. Hopefully the police will help me out from here.
VijayPande
Pande Group Member

Post by VijayPande »

Just a reminder, we will release private info like an IP address *only* to to the police, as we do not want to give out information on potentially false pretenses. In this case, the donor gave us the full contact information (including officer name, phone, address, email, and case number) and this allowed us to a) verify that this was indeed a police officer and b) give the requested information.
noorman
Hardware configuration: Folders: Intel C2D E6550 @ 3.150 GHz + GPU XFX 9800GTX+ @ 765 MHZ w. WinXP-GPU
AMD A2X64 3800+ @ stock + GPU XFX 9800GTX+ @ 775 MHZ w. WinXP-GPU
Main rig: an old Athlon Barton 2500+ @2.25 GHz & 2* 512 MB RAM Apacer, Radeon 9800Pro, WinXP SP3+
Location: Belgium, near the International Sea-Port of Antwerp

Post by noorman »

Any follow-up on this ?
- stopped Linux SMP w. HT on i7-860@3.5 GHz
Folded since 10-06-04 till 09-2010
helpme

Post by helpme »

There is a detective at the campus police department that deals with computer/electronic cases. I guess he was in the process of getting a subpoena to get the identity of the IP address. That was a couple of weeks ago, and I still haven't heard anything else. I'm going to try to contact the detective again this week and see what progress has been made.