PS3 Uses 5x more Electricity than Fridge [Not true]

Please confine these topics to things that would be of general interest to those who are interested in FAH which don't fall into any other category.

Moderator: Site Moderators

bruce

Re: PS3 Uses 5x more Electricity than Fridge [Not true]

Post by bruce »

Yes, the Catholic Church apologized to Gallileo a good many years after Sputnik failed to crash into "the sky, which separates Heaven from Earth" -- and the Church of England has apologized to Darwin a good many years after DNA was discovered. (This will cause some problems for the Creationists, but there are a lot of less-vocal Christians who have accepted evolution for a long time.)

People desire certainty and that makes new ideas difficult to accept. We can poke fun at "the church" where some of those people still see the world in different terms than we do, but we are just blind in other areas and we're never able to see our own blindness. Stockholders and CEOs are so focused on reporting a profitable quarter four times a year that they're unable to look at the big picture. US automakers were blind to what might happen if the world suddenly stopped buying Hummers. Bankers were blind to the dangers of high-risk mortgages and now they're stuck with "toxic assets" Politicians have been so focused on getting reelected (i.e.- no tax increases) that they failed to notice the deterioration of our roads, bridges, schools, etc. Now we've we elected a president who decided that the solution to all our problems were new jobs, and infrastructure provided a logical way to create jobs. The Opposition is busy pointing out that he's blind to how to pay for it.

Some folks (let's call them "anti-green" which fits within the topic we're now discussing) are busy pointing out our blindness. We can argue with them over the details, but unless we listen carefully and accept that their viewpoint has some merits, too, we're only refusing to accept our own blindness.
kelliegang
Hardware configuration: L1:Dual Core 1.6ghz, 1GB Ram
L2:
PC1&2:P2 3.2ghz, 1GB Ram, Gforce 6800 :(
PS3

Post by kelliegang »

We seem to be chasing our tails here.

Ah the beauty of the internet.... where are we?
Assuming regulation/oversight of the current system is LEGITIMATE, purchasing "greenpower" from your energy supplier should result in an increased proportion of OVERALL energy in the grid being sourced from renewable sources.
Unless you're using less than 1200kwh of energy per quarter, solar power is financially unsuitable. Assuming your energy supplier isn't charging extra cents per kwh for green energy [and instead is charging a flat fee as many of them do] you would be financially better off to buy green power rather than install solar panels.

Unfortunately I am apparantly remaining ignorant to my blindness at this stage because I haven't even been able to determine what the opposing viewpoint is ;)
GJA
Hardware configuration: PS3

Post by GJA »

Can we jump to the bottom line? How much can I deduct from my taxes per WU? :)

WIll it be less of a deduction if I use my PS3 to roast marshmellows while folding? :D
Folding for team NJ Folding, id 163034
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

0. WUs have no intrinsic value, and therefore are not tax deductable.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
kelliegang
Hardware configuration: L1:Dual Core 1.6ghz, 1GB Ram
L2:
PC1&2:P2 3.2ghz, 1GB Ram, Gforce 6800 :(
PS3

Post by kelliegang »

In Australia at least the laws are very clear on tax-deductable donations...

A "Service" can not be tax-deductable and as loaning of your computer's processing power to Stanford University equates most nearly to a "service rendered" there is no deduction to be made.

Bottom line, run folding@home from your computer whilst you are logged into a work network and you can claim that part of your energy bill... though if work is not also being accomplished at the same time [work for which you earn an income] then you're SOL and just making a flat donation.
GJA
Hardware configuration: PS3

Post by GJA »

#%&%$#!

I'm just going to have to do this for fun. Any body want a marshmellow?
Folding for team NJ Folding, id 163034
spazzychalk

Post by spazzychalk »

true dedication to the cause. good show