A cure for cancer?

Please confine these topics to things that would be of general interest to those who are interested in FAH which don't fall into any other category.

Moderator: Site Moderators

JimF

A cure for cancer?

Post by JimF »

A small team of Israeli scientists think they might have found the first complete cure for cancer.

“We believe we will offer in a year’s time a complete cure for cancer,” said Dan Aridor, of a new treatment being developed by his company, Accelerated Evolution Biotechnologies Ltd. (AEBi), which was founded in 2000 in the ITEK incubator in the Weizmann Science Park. AEBi developed the SoAP platform, which provides functional leads to very difficult targets.
“Our cancer cure will be effective from day one, will last a duration of a few weeks and will have no or minimal side-effects at a much lower cost than most other treatments on the market,” Aridor said. “Our solution will be both generic and personal.”
https://www.jpost.com/HEALTH-SCIENCE/A- ... one-578939
verlyol
Hardware configuration: system 1: AMD FX6300 on Ubuntu 17.04 LTS

Re: A cure for cancer?

Post by verlyol »

I read last night this announcement ... However, this method still has to go through all phases of clinical trials.
But it seems that is quite revolutionary .... Especially that this is a global treatment for all cancer.

I dedicate my participation to my grandmother died in 1992 because of Parkinson's disease
and to my friend Benoit died of leukemia February 18 2012 ...he was 40 years old.
JimF

Post by JimF »

It will be interesting to see what role Folding can play; peptides are related to proteins.
verlyol
Hardware configuration: system 1: AMD FX6300 on Ubuntu 17.04 LTS

Post by verlyol »

yes it is possible that some simulations were necessary to have this result. In this case In this case, folding@home's work could help...

I dedicate my participation to my grandmother died in 1992 because of Parkinson's disease
and to my friend Benoit died of leukemia February 18 2012 ...he was 40 years old.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

For a more practical view of this story - https://www.iflscience.com/health-and-m ... -true/all/

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
JimF

Post by JimF »

Well, if you assume that it won't work as they describe, then you can certainly criticize them for not providing supporting data. It depends on how you interpret "offer". And if they are applying for patents, as they state, they won't want to say much publicly about the details for a while.

But as for "playing with the hopes", etc., what does that buy them? Maybe they want to inflate the price of their company? Or maybe they think they have made a great discovery, and don't want to delay lining up partners for their project. I think too many assumptions are being made on both sides with too little data for now.
ProDigit

Post by ProDigit »

A friend on facebook posted it last week.
I was actually surprised. It's "MAY" have found, not "HAS" found.
If they had found a cure, we'd be folding for nothing (at least on the cancer department); or it will be a very small batch to fold (just see how the medicine folds with proteins, and that's it).
Ricorocks

Post by Ricorocks »

Just when you think you have the fast ball down pat, life throws a curve ball. Strike 3. We all want them to succeed, but that curve ball may strike them out. Good err knowledge come from failed attempts, so great if they get it, if not we inch fwd.