Researchers Unleash More Computing Power Against Coronavirus

Please confine these topics to things that would be of general interest to those who are interested in FAH which don't fall into any other category.

Moderator: Site Moderators

tcphillips
Hardware configuration: [img]http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/sigs/sigimage.php?u=296154[/img]

Post by tcphillips »

WSJ - 3/30/2020

I dunno...I think I already know where all the cool kids hang out...

Other supercomputing projects are taking a backseat as the sector turns to prioritizing treatments and vaccines for Covid-19
The Texas Advanced Computing Center is home to two of the world's most powerful supercomputers—Frontera, pictured, and Stampede2—which researchers are using to study the novel coronavirus.

By Sara Castellanos
March 30, 2020 7:00 am ET

The world of supercomputing is pivoting to the novel coronavirus, with some other projects being paused as researchers focus on finding treatments and vaccines as well as studying the spread of the virus and assessing the impact of social-distancing measures.

“This is everybody’s highest priority right now,” said Dan Stanzione, executive director of the Texas Advanced Computing Center. Typical supercomputing research projects related to predicting hurricanes and earthquakes are running more slowly in order to prioritize Covid-19 projects.

Supercomputers can have tens of thousands of processors that work together to perform large calculations. Some calculations on supercomputers can be completed in one day, versus hundreds of years to run on a laptop with only a handful of processors, Mr. Stanzione said.

Approved researchers have free access to supercomputers under an initiative announced earlier this month involving Energy Department national labs, technology companies and academic institutions.

Combined, the approximately 30 supercomputing systems that are part of the Covid-19 High Performance Computing Consortium represent more than 330 petaflops of computing capacity. A petaflop allows for 1,000 trillion, or one quadrillion, operations per second.
Rommie Amaro, a researcher at University of California, San Diego, used a supercomputer based at the Texas Advanced Computing Center to investigate the structure of the novel coronavirus.

The Texas Advanced Computing Center, part of the consortium, is home to two supercomputers, Frontera and Stampede2, as well as other smaller ones, all of which researchers can access remotely. About 100 researchers across the country are using the center’s computers for about 10 different Covid-19 research projects, including those that involve epidemiology and vaccines. They began their work roughly a month ago, Mr. Stanzione said.

Lauren Meyers, a professor of integrative biology at the University of Texas at Austin, is using the center to model the transmission of the virus between people in various regions to get a better understanding of how the disease is spreading. “When cases are reported from different countries, often the data aren’t telling us the whole story,” Ms. Meyers said.

For example, one of Ms. Meyers’s supercomputing models suggested there were probably more than 11,000 cases of Covid-19 in Wuhan, China, center of the pandemic outbreak, by the time officials there imposed lockdown measures in January. At that time, Wuhan had reported about 425 cases, she said. The Chinese Embassy in Washington didn’t respond to a request for comment.

Ms. Meyers is also using supercomputing models to evaluate the impact of various social-distancing measures enacted by state and federal policy makers, she said. The goal is to provide policy makers with information about the consequences of relaxing or strengthening those measures, she said. So far, the models suggest that the U.S. could expect to see “many weeks or even months of various kinds of interventions” to protect people from the virus, Ms. Meyers said.

Researchers at Argonne National Laboratory in Lemont, Ill., are using supercomputers to study the spread of the virus within communities and the evolution of the virus, in addition to other projects such as finding new antiviral drugs and accelerating vaccine development.

Supercomputing partnerships between researchers, government officials and technology companies underscore that there is an urgency to accelerating humanity’s understanding of the virus, said Chirag Dekate, senior research director at research firm Gartner Inc.

Some of the machines that researchers have access to are orders of magnitude more powerful and faster than computing resources typically used by enterprises, including pharmaceutical companies, Mr. Dekate said.

About 25 researchers from Oak Ridge National Laboratory, the University of Tennessee and other national labs and universities are using Summit, an International Business Machines Corp. supercomputer, to find drugs that could potentially treat the pneumonia-like disease caused by the virus. It is likely that more than one drug will be needed to treat the disease because the virus could evolve to become resistant to certain drugs, said Jeremy Smith, director of the University of Tennessee/Oak Ridge National Lab Center for Molecular Biophysics.

The main advantage of the Summit computer is speed; Summit has the computing power of approximately 1 million laptops all working together to solve the same problem, Mr. Smith said. Still, he said it is uncertain how long it will take to find a Covid-19 treatment.

“That’s the infuriating aspect of this. It’s scientific research, and you never know whether you’ll be successful in reaching your end goal,” he said.

1 x i5 - stock GTX 1070 ti + RTX 3070
1 x e3550 - stock 1 x GTX 750 + 1 x GTX 950

...recovering engineer.
Nathan_P
Hardware configuration: Asus Z8NA D6C, 2 x5670@3.2 Ghz, , 12gb Ram, GTX 980ti, AX650 PSU, win 10 (daily use)

Asus Z87 WS, Xeon E3-1230L v3, 8gb ram, KFA GTX 1080, EVGA 750ti , AX760 PSU, Mint 18.2 OS

Not currently folding
Asus Z9PE- D8 WS, 2 E5-2665@2.3 Ghz, 16Gb 1.35v Ram, Ubuntu (Fold only)
Asus Z9PA, 2 Ivy 12 core, 16gb Ram, H folding appliance (fold only)

Re: Researchers Unleash More Computing Power Against Coronav

Post by Nathan_P »

330 petaflops, thats less than half the F@H network!
WTS

Post by WTS »

Nathan_P wrote:330 petaflops, that's less than half the F@H network!
It may be too early to tell, but has the F@H project produced results that can be used to fight the Coronavirus yet?
Reality is what you stumble over when you walk around with your eyes closed.
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

WTS wrote:...It may be too early to tell, but has the F@H project produced results that can be used to fight the Coronavirus yet?
F@H is taking steps in that direction:
https://foldingathome.org/2020/03/30/co ... culations/
https://foldingathome.org/2020/04/03/ca ... in-action/
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
kwthom

Post by kwthom »

Y'know...I was just coming around to ask a very similar question - and see the moderation team has pointed us toward answers...

...from one of the web pages posted above...
Of course, please bear in mind that this work is at the bleeding edge of science. We’re throwing everything we’ve got at COVID-19, but we can’t say for sure if/when our work will lead to treatments.
I think, those of us with any amount of STEM knowledge or understanding, accepts this as a very valid outcome.

Of course, we would like to think that all of this will help derive the answer.

Then again, maybe it's an answer for something else.

Thanks for keeping us informed! ;)
WTS

Post by WTS »

kwthom wrote:Y'know...I was just coming around to ask a very similar question - and see the moderation team has pointed us toward answers...

...from one of the web pages posted above...
Of course, please bear in mind that this work is at the bleeding edge of science. We’re throwing everything we’ve got at COVID-19, but we can’t say for sure if/when our work will lead to treatments.
I think, those of us with any amount of STEM knowledge or understanding, accepts this as a very valid outcome.

Of course, we would like to think that all of this will help derive the answer.

Then again, maybe it's an answer for something else.

Thanks for keeping us informed! ;)
Perhaps this crisis will inspire some young person to go into research when they reach college. We can always use more scientists, they don't grow on trees! In the end, it's not just our computers and labs that win the virus wars, it's people, scientists, teachers, and old fashioned education. Someday, I know, F@H and the scientists will win a Nobel Prize. Perhaps this is the project that will put them over the top. I hope, someday, someone will donate a really powerful supercomputer, along with the support needed, to work with the distributed computations, every bit helps.
Reality is what you stumble over when you walk around with your eyes closed.