Using Folding@home to track a stolen computer

Please confine these topics to things that would be of general interest to those who are interested in FAH which don't fall into any other category.

Moderator: Site Moderators

Shizuka

Using Folding@home to track a stolen computer

Post by Shizuka »

Just a few days ago, a computer in a lab I work in was stolen. It had Folding@home SMP on it, and has a static IP. It's possible to use folding@home to track the computer if it reconnects to get or upload a work unit, right?
Evil Penguin

Re: Using Folding@home to track a stolen computer

Post by Evil Penguin »

Maybe... Why don't you PM Bruce about this?
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

Yes it's possible ... it has been done once, you can read the story here : viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2777

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
John Naylor
Hardware configuration: Q9450 OC @ 3.2GHz (Win7 Home Premium) - SMP2
E7500 OC @ 3.66GHz (Windows Home Server) - SMP2
i5-3750k @ 3.8GHz (Win7 Pro) - SMP2

Post by John Naylor »

The Pande Group have released information before but only with specific details and only directly to the police (they needed proof of identity of a police officer like name, email or w/e and a case number last time they did this.)

EDIT: Bollocks toTOW beat me :( lol
Folding whatever I'm sent since March 2006 :) Beta testing since October 2006. www.FAH-Addict.net Administrator since August 2009.
bruce

Post by bruce »

SolidSteel144 wrote:Maybe... Why don't you PM Bruce about this?
All of the information that I have is contained in the discussion referenced by toTOW.
P5-133XL
Hardware configuration: Machine #1:

Intel Q9450; 2x2GB=8GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460; Windows Server 2008 X64 (SP1).

Machine #2:

Intel Q6600; 2x2GB=4GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460 video card; Windows 7 X64.

Machine 3:

Dell Dimension 8400, 3.2GHz P4 4x512GB Ram, Video card GTX 460, Windows 7 X32

I am currently folding just on the 5x GTX 460's for aprox. 70K PPD

Post by P5-133XL »

Yes, it is possible to track individual machines. Previous issues such as this have required that the police contact Vijay Pande directly. Because of privacy issues, he will only give data to the police. You will need to supply the police his contact info; and the User name/team name ip address etc..
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Unfortunately, I have no clue whether the computer's uploaded any WUs to Stanford since I have multiple machines at home running FAH, meaning I can't easily tell whether Stanford has any information on where the computer is. While I don't have police contact info now (I should get it soon.), is it possible to identify the machine in question and keep an eye out for it?
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

We don't have these kind of discussions in the open forum. You should be having a private conversation with law enforcement, and they will discreetly talk to the project staff.

I will say this... if that machine sends in another work unit, the IP address will be logged with Stanford. And Stanford will be more than happy to share that info with law enforcement.

I'll send you a list of computers that turned in work units in the last 30 days, and a PM with more details.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.