The Simplest Things...

Please confine these topics to things that would be of general interest to those who are interested in FAH which don't fall into any other category.

Moderator: Site Moderators

Caocao8888

The Simplest Things...

Post by Caocao8888 »

can be the hardest to do, according to a Russian expert in my field of expertise. As a completely non-technical person, I have been very disappointed at the dearth of simple, easy-to-understand, clear instructions for folding. A plaintive request from one newbie recently asked for basic instructions for the PS3, for example. Triangle, go to information, go to project was the message, with a stinging emoticon, and some snide words to boot.

Since I myself have just bought a PS3, and with the FAH application working nicely, I decided to follow the succinct three-step instructions from the wise sage to see what new insight I could learn, only to find that step one did not lead to step two at all! Did I have a newer version of FAH? An older version? Ask at your own peril is the clear message.

A more pressing question for me these past few days is wondering if I can run a CPU client with my currently running GPU client. I have a new computer-only my second ever, and I pray to God my last-where I have an XFX nVidia 7801, an Intel 2 Duo E8600 (3.33GHz), XFX GeForce GTX 280, and WIndows Vista Ultimate 64-bit SP1.

The nicely paid technical expert who put my rig together was dead set against my downloading the beta client for my nVidia card, but I am a motivated folder who is doing this in memory of his mother, who had multiple sclerosis and two different forms of cancer during her life. [If personal details are not allowed on this board, please delete the offensive details.] However, I was able to toggle between three different sites, because only by using the combined instructions and merging a few clear sentences here and there was I able to accomplish my task, with no problems at all after three weeks of 24/7 usage.

My CPU is just loafing along, but while I am under the impression that I can run a second client, the instructions and comments I have read on the subject on the subject are lacking. So I am reluctant to louse up what is, so far, a trouble-free setup. What about some screen shots along with some well-written step by step instructions? Many techies seem to have studied English with the same person who writes those computer desk assembly instructions.

I know that there are a lot of people like myself out there who want to do more with folding, but no one seems ready, willing, or able to help. Even at the university where I have taught for twenty-five years, I find that not as many young people (other than computer science majors, of course) understand computers or how to use them beyond the most basic level.

By the way, if you are ever on my turf, drop by a class. We use up to five Western languages and one Asian language during the course of instruction, and it is a wonderful learning experience for most students. My knowledge, training, and experience are not used to eradicate the enemy like in some virtual reality, but to bring people together to learn. Try it. It's fun.
Foxery
Hardware configuration: Intel Core2 Quad Q9300 (Intel P35 chipset)
Radeon 3850, 512MB model (Catalyst 8.10)
Windows XP, SP2

Re: The Simplest Things...

Post by Foxery »

Gee, I wonder what it is about you that makes people give snide, curt responses. :?

Anyway, how about the official setup guides hosted by Stanford? Some dedicated folks from this forum have taken the time to make these very short and very clear:
http://folding.stanford.edu/English/Guide
There's nothing about the single-CPU client or the GPU client that should take anyone more than 5 minutes to go through. If you have specific questions, all you need to do is ask.
Core2 Quad/Q9300, Radeon 3850/512MB (WinXP SP2)
codysluder

Post by codysluder »

Caocao8888 wrote:My CPU is just loafing along, but while I am under the impression that I can run a second client, the instructions and comments I have read on the subject on the subject are lacking. So I am reluctant to louse up what is, so far, a trouble-free setup. What about some screen shots along with some well-written step by step instructions? Many techies seem to have studied English with the same person who writes those computer desk assembly instructions.
First, I should congratulate you for ignoring the advice of the expert and getting the (beta) gpu client running. You've already been directed to the installation guides and hopefully have already installed a second client (cpu) client. The real limitation is going to be your CPU. It takes a certain fraction of one cpu core to move data to/from the gpu client. The cpu client, on the other hand, will use 100% of a cpu core so with a second client, you should be using between one and two of your cpu cores -- between 50% and 100% of your machine. If your cpu utilzation is close to 55%, you could probably consider a third client to fully utilize the other cpu core, but you'll need to be sure to set the priority of the GPU client higher than for the cpu clients so it gets all that it wants. The choice between two and three clients is yours, of course, and there's nothing wrong with what you're doing now.
Caocao8888

Post by Caocao8888 »

Cody, I did use the installation guide in installing the uniprocessor client in my old computer, and it was indeed a simple process. For the dual-core processor in my new setup, though, do I have a choice to install the SMP client-"expect a much more complex experience and much more work to keep the client running"- or can I just play it safe and run the classic client? If it is the latter, would it be the Systray or the console version? I am running the GPU Systray version, and the present CPU usage is about 17%, with occasional spikes, I guess when the CPU is sending information to the GPU, as you pointed out.
bruce

Post by bruce »

There are variations, but 17% of a CPU to send data to the GPU is reasonable.

Personally, I'd recommend you run one GPU client plus as many uniprocessor clients as it takes to increase the total utilization to almost 100%. You can use one systray client and the others should be console clients. Each client must be installed in a separate directory and each must be configured with a different MachineID.

If you have a dual core CPU, then the first CPU client will use 50% bringing your total to 67%. You can leave it at that or you can add a third client -- your choice.

If you add a second CPU client, that will give you enough work for 117% so something will have to slow down. I recommend you set the GPU client to a priority of Low (slightly higher) and leave the CPU clients at Idle (Lowest possible). That way the GPU client will always get it's 17% and one or both of the CPU clients will run slightly slower than they would if nothing else was running.
Caocao8888

Post by Caocao8888 »

Ah, that's very useful and clear advice. Thank you very much.

Both cores of my home rig are are now working at 100%. I feel all warm inside and outside, probably due in part to the heat generated. But since the HOA condo dues include electricity, I let everything run 24/7.

GPU client at home
CPU systray traditional at home
CPU console traditional at home

PS3
PS3

CPU systray traditional at work