IBM Seeks to Build Computer Brain as Smart as a Cat

Please confine these topics to things that would be of general interest to those who are interested in FAH which don't fall into any other category.

Moderator: Site Moderators

tipoo

IBM Seeks to Build Computer Brain as Smart as a Cat

Post by tipoo »

Hey, i figured the people on the F@H forums might be more interested in science than the other forums i've been on, i thought this was an interesting read:

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=13502

"The new effort differs from efforts to establish so-called neural networks. Neural networks, which seek to simulate connections of neurons and can approach learning-like behavior, and artificial intelligence are inherently different from the attempt to create a full brain. Says Mr. Modha, "The issue with neural networks and artificial intelligence is that they seek to engineer limited cognitive functionalities one at a time. They start with an objective and devise an algorithm to achieve it. We are attempting a 180 degree shift in perspective: seeking an algorithm first, problems second. We are investigating core micro- and macro-circuits of the brain that can be used for a wide variety of functionalities."

The result is more of a synaptic network than a neural one. The key component to which the brain owes its flexibility is the synapse. Synapses connect neurons together in the brain and it is these connections that help us think.

Experts worldwide are intrigued by the project, but fear that the US government is underfunding it. Still, says Christian Keysers, director of the neuroimaging center at University Medical Centre Groningen, "It's an interesting effort, and modeling computers after the human brain is promising.""

Catnet, anyone?
bapriebe
Hardware configuration: HP xw4600 workstation (4GB)+Q9650+Sapphire Vapor-X HD4890,
HP Z600 workstation (4GB)+2xXEON E5540+Sapphire HD5770,
HP ML350 server (4GB)+2xXEON E5520+Diamond HD3850

Re: IBM Seeks to Build Computer Brain as Smart as a Cat

Post by bapriebe »

tipoo wrote:The goal is replicate behavior in simulations. The long term goal is to create a "brain" on the intelligence level of a cat.
So for several millions of US$, we get a computer that sleeps all day and won't do what it's told? :mrgreen:
tipoo

Post by tipoo »

bapriebe wrote:
tipoo wrote:The goal is replicate behavior in simulations. The long term goal is to create a "brain" on the intelligence level of a cat.
So for several millions of US$, we get a computer that sleeps all day and won't do what it's told? :mrgreen:
yea, they should have gone for dog-intelligence.

dognet, anyone?
spazzychalk

Post by spazzychalk »

bapriebe wrote:So for several millions of US$, we get a computer that sleeps all day and won't do what it's told? :mrgreen:
i thought that was windows
John_Weatherman

Post by John_Weatherman »

spazzychalk wrote:
bapriebe wrote:So for several millions of US$, we get a computer that sleeps all day and won't do what it's told? :mrgreen:
i thought that was windows
meeow! :lol: