Constant Networking Access

Please confine these topics to things that would be of general interest to those who are interested in FAH which don't fall into any other category.

Moderator: Site Moderators

divery4eyes
Hardware configuration: E2180 @1.08, 2Gb ddr2, 500Gb hd, Last XP, 8800 GT 1835 shader
AMD Athlon x2 2200, 2GB DDR2, ?? GB HD, Last XP, GT 240 1600 shader

Constant Networking Access

Post by divery4eyes »

Hi guys, I have a question that maybe some one here can answer.

I have six machines at home. Two wireless, four on a Linksys switch.
All of these feed off of a Linksys router which is in turn hooked up to a cable modem.
Looking at the switch, there seems to be constant activity.
Yes i know that the client has to send back data, but this is constant.
It is almost as if there is someone accessing the pc.
I have installed Network Magic on the bedroom computer and it tells me whenever one of my neighbors gets on my internet.
There seems to be no other intruders.
All windumb computers run AVG and Malwarebytes, the other two are Notfred.

I dont know that much about networking, so I have asked the local network admin who runs the school districts network and he was clueless.
Does anybody here know?
over 30,000 werk units
"Everyone is in the same boat. Grab an oar, and paddle some WU's." -RAH

Still GPU folding with 8.2 teraflops
toTOW
Site Moderator

Re: Constant Networking Access

Post by toTOW »

You might try to capture the data packets with Ethereal to know where they come from, where they go, and what protocol they are ...

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
P5-133XL
Hardware configuration: Machine #1:

Intel Q9450; 2x2GB=8GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460; Windows Server 2008 X64 (SP1).

Machine #2:

Intel Q6600; 2x2GB=4GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460 video card; Windows 7 X64.

Machine 3:

Dell Dimension 8400, 3.2GHz P4 4x512GB Ram, Video card GTX 460, Windows 7 X32

I am currently folding just on the 5x GTX 460's for aprox. 70K PPD

Post by P5-133XL »

First suggestion: Turn off all the folding on the machines attached to the switch, does that stop the switch activity? I suspect not. Folding only accesses the outside network when getting and sending WU's (not all the time).

Next, observe the specific lights on the switch: It should be indicating which machines/ports are having activity, not merely that there is activity somewhere on the switch. If you are talking about the switch portion of Linksys router, look at the lights where the plugs are because they will blink when there is activity on that indivdual port. Also, almost all network cards on your PC's will blink when there is network activity using that specific PC. You can also go to each PC's task magager (ctrl-Alt-Del then choose task manager) and on the networking tab, it will have a graph showing network traffic for that machine that you can configure to show bytes sent/recieved by going to view->columns.

Hopefully, that will give you some tools to try to pin the problem down.
divery4eyes
Hardware configuration: E2180 @1.08, 2Gb ddr2, 500Gb hd, Last XP, 8800 GT 1835 shader
AMD Athlon x2 2200, 2GB DDR2, ?? GB HD, Last XP, GT 240 1600 shader

Post by divery4eyes »

Thanks guys. Another question for you.
Of the four that are wired, two are notfred, and one of those is a single core. Now lately the single core has almost constant network access. Using Wireshark, I see the router constantly asking who is on this IP address, the pc responds back with the ?MAC address?
The router then goes through all available IP addresses and starts back over again. It just seems that this one pc(single core, running Notfred) gets, dare I say hammered all day long. Is there any way to correct this? Would limiting the number of IP addresses, available in the router help any?

By the way, Newegg has a 8800GTS for 79.99, that is a good deal right? If so, I am getting it when payday comes :e)
over 30,000 werk units
"Everyone is in the same boat. Grab an oar, and paddle some WU's." -RAH

Still GPU folding with 8.2 teraflops
bruce

Post by bruce »

When you downloaded notfred, did you specify an IP address or do all of your clients use DHCP? You might have conflicting IP addresses on your LAN.