alancabler OK? [yes]

Please confine these topics to things that would be of general interest to those who are interested in FAH which don't fall into any other category.

Moderator: Site Moderators

alancabler

Re: alancabler OK?

Post by alancabler »

theMASS wrote:I've hit the vicious cycle point with the heat from the 20+ cores @ home, the Air Conditioner is killing me. and it's getting hard to explain why these "old" PC's keep moving to the office
Being in SoCal, you probably don't try too hard to keep your toes warm, eh?
theMASS wrote:If you want any/all of it PM me an address, I'll send em your way...
Thanks for your kind offer!
Lgringo wrote:Welcome Back! I may even consider retracting the "rotten old fossil" label!
Uh... pardon me, but is that really your picture?
No one's seen me, so am I at liberty to ask "look who's talkin' ?"
On the brighter side, look at 7im.
Facts are not truth. Facts are merely facets of the shining diamond of truth.
Lgringo

Post by Lgringo »

alancabler wrote:
Lgringo wrote:Welcome Back! I may even consider retracting the "rotten old fossil" label!
Uh... pardon me, but is that really your picture?
No one's seen me, so am I at liberty to ask "look who's talkin' ?"
On the brighter side, look at 7im.
No, I'm not that good-looking yet. Maybe by 2025 (if man is still alive, if woman can survive) :-| ... according to a web (& Albuquerque newspaper) article, he's Ed Fredrickson at NMSU:
http://www.nmsu.edu/~ucomm/Releases/200 ... cattle.htm
http://ucommphoto.nmsu.edu/newsphoto/EdWithCow33.jpg
Don't know if he would approve of being my "alias" on this forum, but he's very likely OK with it (my trusty male intuition). At least it now allows a few more people to learn about his research on "Criollo critters".
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

alancabler wrote:Very strange failure- must have overheated some small CPU circuit because the machine starts to boot, then dies- works w/a lesser CPU, so mobo, etc. apparently OK.
Did you check your PSU ? And CPU VRM ?

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
alancabler

Post by alancabler »

toTOW wrote:
alancabler wrote:Very strange failure- must have overheated some small CPU circuit because the machine starts to boot, then dies- works w/a lesser CPU, so mobo, etc. apparently OK.
Did you check your PSU ? And CPU VRM ?
Sorry for this "late" answer toTOW, I'd forgotten about this, and only recently discovered why I lost that CPU. The mobo, PS and all other components were ok- just lost CPU (immediately replaced with another one laying around).

I'd moved some rigs around a few days before the ice storm, and inadvertently plugged the dead machine into an unprotected AC line jack on the UPS instead of a protected/UPS jack. With all the surges and spikes,
the freaky- flukeys whacked my CPU.
Facts are not truth. Facts are merely facets of the shining diamond of truth.