Hardware configuration: CPU: i5 4670@3.40GHz
Mainboard: ASUS TUF Gryphon Z87
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 2x8GB
HDD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Red 1'000GB
GPU: Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060

Promoting F@H - Rules

Post by matitaccia »

Dear all,

I’m thinking of promoting F@H, I have therefore created our team webpage, which is very simple and not getting spontaneous views, as it is unknown. I have been thinking of different ways of how I could promote the team and of course the whole project as well, but I kept wondering if there are specific rules that should be respected. For example I would like to use the Stanford University Logo: to should I ask permission to do so? I would like to use the faqs official faqs as they are but translate them as well: am I allowed to ‘copy paste’ the English version? I know the best would be to link directly to the original FAQs but I really would like to avoid the end user to change site for reading the FAQs. Switching sites is, in terms of user experience, suboptimal.

I have also been thinking of printing flyers to distribute locally, maybe at hardware shops. Are there any specific rules that should be respected?

Or use social media to promote,would it be ok? And should I pay for Facebook or Google advertisement would that bother anyone besides my wallet?

Also if someone has already had experience with the promotion process please share ideas. For the moment being the biggest issue I get confronted with is the ‘fear of something installed on my computer which may send my personal data to third companies’. Someone even told me Standford might very well use our computers for mining crypto currencies without us even knowing it. Genius. :-)

Thanks for any information or experience you would like to share.

Best regards,

Matitaccia

Sustain scientific research with the power of you computer. Join the Swiss Folding Team!
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Re: Promoting F@H - Rules

Post by foldy »

For those suspicious they may like to hear the project is already running for 15 years and there was never personal data leaked or resources misused. And there are real people behind the project https://pande.stanford.edu/people/

Currently crypto mining is popular, so guys doing that may switch to FAH if they know they can get valuable curecoin/foldingcoin too.

Another group with fast GPUs are the gamers. They may like to get the EVGA payback bucks.

If someone likes folding for cures and has some money to spend then he may want to build a dedicated folding rig running 24/7 - great hobby.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

Some of your questions have been asked in the past, I will look to see if I can find links to them and the answers given then.

As best as I can recall, yes you would need permission from Stanford University to use their logo. That is not something that the Pande Group can give you permission to use on anything you distribute or post. Some symbols and logos have been provided that you do have permission to use, for example one is provided on this page - http://folding.stanford.edu/support/miscellaneous/.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
boristsybin
Hardware configuration: 4x1080Ti + 2x1050Ti

Post by boristsybin »

well... is this "bubble" protein picture free? can we use it to make some stickers?