Permission to re-use the "Even while you sleep" video

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Re: Permission to re-use the "Even while you sleep" video

Postby wuffy68 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:41 pm

gunnarre wrote:If we're provided, say, an .srt-file with the English captions, it should be easy to translate it.

Yup, that's what I plan to do in addition to fixing the URL at the end of the video - although rather than translating the text verbatim in the transcript, I plan on using more formal English in the transcript ...

Like instead of:

"Cancer takes 2 of 8 of us.", we can say "Cancer takes nearly two out of eight of us." (I know it's more like 22% today, but that's what the original video says) ... and since "Bazillion" isn't a thing in every language ... we can settle on "Trillions", etc. etc.

Basically anything to make it more universal.
1x nVidia 1070, 1x nVidia 1060 3g,
1x nVidia 970, 2x nVidia 960,
1x nVidia 555, 1x AMD R7, 2x AMD 295,
6x i5 CPU-only rigs
wuffy68

Postby iero » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:46 pm

wuffy68 wrote:
gunnarre wrote:If we're provided, say, an .srt-file with the English captions, it should be easy to translate it.

Yup, that's what I plan to do in addition to fixing the URL at the end of the video - although rather than translating the text verbatim in the transcript, I plan on using more formal English in the transcript ...

Like instead of:

"Cancer takes 2 of 8 of us.", we can say "Cancer takes nearly two out of eight of us." (I know it's more like 22% today, but that's what the original video says) ... and since "Bazillion" isn't a thing in every language ... we can settle on "Trillions", etc. etc.

Basically anything to make it more universal.

I think with "Bazillion" they were going for a quintillion vibe? Maybe? :shock:
GPU only
Rig1: Ryzen 3 3100/RTX 3060 Gaming OC 12GB/16GB 3200MHz-Aiming for 24/7
Rig2: Ryzen 3 2200g/RX 480 Gaming X 4GB/8GB 3000MHz-Aiming for 12/7
Folding since 05/02/2021
iero

Postby bruce » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:26 pm

iero wrote:I volunteer to translate any material needed from English to Greek. I know some French too, but I haven't used em in ages, so that's out of the question. :lol:
Finding support for European languages shouldn't be difficult.

Back in the days when this video originated (more or less) Dr. Pande recruited native speakers with a goal of translating everything, not just the video. The translation team was eventually abandoned. The only member I remember who is sill around is toTOW who runs his own FAH website in his native French. (If I think about it for a while, I'll probably remember others.)

The fundamental requirement is that folks should volunteer to translate TO a language in which they are fully fluent.
bruce

Postby wuffy68 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:58 am

iero wrote:I think with "Bazillion" they were going for a quintillion vibe? Maybe?

I think you're right that its higher than my initial stab in the dark, but the number of actual proteins maybe lower than a quintillion (could be totally wrong since I got tired of searching for a definitive answer) It seems like studies have only come out in the last 10 years to try nailing down that number, and many articles I've seen confuse the number of individual molecules in a cell vs number of proteins. Then there's confusion - are we counting individual amino acids, polypeptides (when are enzymes not proteins?), are we including H2O in molecular count? etc, etc.

I found something that said there are about 15 billion cells in an average human body

Napkin math using yeast as an example (in lieu of human cells):

15B * 42m = 630 quadrillion

https://www.drugtargetreview.com/news/2 ... %20precise.
(no idea how reputable the article is)
wuffy68

Previous

Return to Discussions of General-FAH topics