Code: Select all

Connecting to your Folding@home client
Need help?
Is Folding@home installed?
Is Folding@home running?
Try reloading this page.
Try connecting directly.
More help. 
Folding@home or FAH doesn't show in Task Manager, so it's not running.
I tried reloading the page, same result. I re-downloaded the installer and installed again, rebooted and it's the same.
If I try to connect to 127.0.0.1, I see "127.0.0.1 refused to connect"
I run Windows 10 Firewall Control and of course Windows Defender Firewall. I turned them both off, but that made no difference.

Tried reinstalling again while watching Task Manager - when I check Start Folding@Home and click Finish, FAH does not appear in Task Manager as an app or a service.

Any idea what's going on here, please?
uyaem

Re: FAH won't run, won't connect

Post by uyaem »

Depending on your selection during installation, FAH needs to be started manually - which is necessary if you also want to use your GPU for folding. (If installing as Windows service, it lacks permissions to access the GPU).
Make sure you use the shortcut in the start menu (or on your desktop), so that FAHClient gets started using the correct working directory. By default, it will also open a browser window showing the web client.
CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X (1x21 CPUs) ~ GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 1660 Super (Asus)
roygrubb

Post by roygrubb »

uyaem wrote:Depending on your selection during installation, FAH needs to be started manually - which is necessary if you also want to use your GPU for folding. (If installing as Windows service, it lacks permissions to access the GPU).
Make sure you use the shortcut in the start menu (or on your desktop), so that FAHClient gets started using the correct working directory. By default, it will also open a browser window showing the web client.
Thanks for your reply uyaem. I had been starting it manually from the desktop shortcut and from the Start menu with the result described in my original post. I even tried starting it from
C:\Program Files (x86)\FAHClient\FAHClient.exe
None of these worked.

I'm pleased to say that I eventually got it running by uninstalling including deleting data and reinstalling. My guess is that something was screwed up in the data.
uyaem

Post by uyaem »

I case of an unclean shutdown (or maybe in your case) it can happen that config.xml gets corrupted, I've had this happen once.
When I clicked the shortcut in Windows, simply nothing would happen (no error, no FAH).

I managed to fix it by copying the latest config file from %APPDATA%\FAHClient\configs to %APPDATA%\FAHClient, then renaming it to config.xml, without losing any work/data.
Just in case it happens again. :)
CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X (1x21 CPUs) ~ GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 1660 Super (Asus)
bruce

Post by bruce »

I'll make another guess. (I may be totally off-base. Feel free to ignore this post if doesn't apply.)

If you have edited confix.xml manually, you probably made some slight syntactical error somewhere. While config.xml seems to be a man-readable file which can be edited. it is actually a machine-readable file from FAH's perspective. If there's a syntax error, FAHClient will immediately shut down without leaving any trace of why. Reinstalling including data will fix the problem, of course, until you try to edit the file again.

I STRONGLY recommend that you use FAHControl to make all changes to config.xml. It won't accidentally misplace a > or a </ or even a "
roygrubb

Post by roygrubb »

uyaem wrote:I case of an unclean shutdown (or maybe in your case) it can happen that config.xml gets corrupted, I've had this happen once.
When I clicked the shortcut in Windows, simply nothing would happen (no error, no FAH).

I managed to fix it by copying the latest config file from %APPDATA%\FAHClient\configs to %APPDATA%\FAHClient, then renaming it to config.xml, without losing any work/data.
Thanks will note that in case.
roygrubb

Post by roygrubb »

bruce wrote:If you have edited confix.xml manually
Not guilty m'lud :)
roygrubb

Post by roygrubb »

bruce wrote:Posting FAH's log:
How to provide enough info to get helpful support.
Link noted, thanks.
misko_dzurik

Post by misko_dzurik »

need help, too, please. after having my laptop off for a few days, fah does not work. i am getting this message: "The Folding@home software on your computer has most likely stopped.

Please restart it, then reload this page". i do restart it, i do reload the page - and i am getting the same message again and again and again. i downloaded neweste version of the client, restarted the laptop - no difference.
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

Hijacking someone else's problem thread hurts them and you. They deserve our undistracted attention to their problem.

Since your problem is unrelated, some one who can't help them may have already quit reading this thread as outside their expertise and never see your problem.

I strongly encourage you to start your own thread and for you to post the first 200 lines of your log file.
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=26036
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
roygrubb

Post by roygrubb »

misko_dzurik wrote:need help, too, please. after having my laptop off for a few days, fah does not work. i am getting this message: "The Folding@home software on your computer has most likely stopped.

Please restart it, then reload this page". i do restart it, i do reload the page - and i am getting the same message again and again and again. i downloaded neweste version of the client, restarted the laptop - no difference.
I had exactly this problem (I started this thread). This worked for me: Uninstall fah including deleting data and then reinstall. You will not lose your points, provided you have a record of your passkey.
olli

Post by olli »

uyaem wrote:I case of an unclean shutdown (or maybe in your case) it can happen that config.xml gets corrupted, I've had this happen once.

I had the same problem on a (Ubuntu) Linux machine...
This was the solution! - Thx for this!
Howto (easy way)
Open Terminal (ctrl+alt+t)
Type:

Code: Select all

sudo nautilus
followed by your password
when Nautilus opens, go to the root folder and do a search for "fah"
go to folder "fahclient" in var/lib, navigate to "configs" and copy one of the configXXXXXXXX.xml files bi rightclick -> copy (XXXXXXX stands for Date and time)
now navigate to the folder fahclients in etc and paste the file there. Then rename the existing config.xml to something like configold (just to have it!) and rename the freshly pasted file to config.xml
now restart your machine and it should work again!