Anothe Newbie question

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Pronto

Anothe Newbie question

Post by Pronto »

We have a 'spare' PC which is not ocnnected to the Internet.
Is it possibly to persuade F@H to dump its results onto a floppy disk/CD and upload from that disk onto my machine at home which IS connected and running F@H ?
It seems silly not to put the spare to some good use.
Pronto
uncle fuzzy

Re: Anothe Newbie question

Post by uncle fuzzy »

Welcome to the forum, Pronto.

Check the procedure I posted here.
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r189439 ... ting?r=674
It's based on one that was in the wiki, but I couldn't find to link. It will allow you to use the computer on line to feed the one that is off line. I'm not quite done polishing it, but it works as written, Come back if I confused you.
Proud to crash my machines as a Beta Tester!

toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
Pronto

Post by Pronto »

uncle fuzzy wrote:Welcome to the forum, Pronto.

Check the procedure I posted here.
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r189439 ... ting?r=674
It's based on one that was in the wiki, but I couldn't find to link. It will allow you to use the computer on line to feed the one that is off line. I'm not quite done polishing it, but it works as written, Come back if I confused you.
Thanks, Fuzzy.
I've had a look at the Wiki on sneakernet (thanks, TOW) and will read it again (I'm not too knowlegeable about computer-speak and thus confusion is a permanat state of affairs). :e?:
Both computers run Win XP. Computer A is at home, and Computer B is the unconnected remote site. Computer B is one I see twice a week (except Bank Holidays, etc.). Computer A just sits there in the spare room at home and gets on with it.

Without getting into the Registry (that makes me nervous), is there no "lift WU from" and "dump to disk" facility as an alternative to "send automatically" ? And is it going to happen sometime ?

I think I'd better explain. I teach at my local Air Training Corps squadron. (the ATC is an organisation for 13-18 yr olds). We have three computers that only do any work on two nights a week, and we've just installed a Wireless network to which my computer (at the other end of the building) is not yet set up). So it can do the work, but getting that work in and out of that computer may be problematic.

Naturally, I'm going to to put the idea of supporting F@H to the Boss, but I doubt he'll agree to permanant setting up of the PCs if we are not present, hence the request to dump to disk.

I hope I've made sense to you.

Ta Ta.
Pronto
uncle fuzzy

Post by uncle fuzzy »

Each machine is IDed by the Stanford servers and that ID is tied to the WU they send you. You'll actually have to install a client on the remote machine and then export the registry ID to your home machine before you can get a WU to run on the remote. Using the exported registry entry is the only way I know of to trick the connected computer into thinking it's 2 different machines.

At least you don't have to mess around with making registry entries, just find the right one and export it once. Your home computer is the one that you'll be switching IDs back and forth.
Proud to crash my machines as a Beta Tester!

bruce

Post by bruce »

First, be sure you have (written) permission to install FAH on computers that you do not own.

Download the uniprocessor client to your Internet-connected computer. For N remote computers, install it in N+1 different directories. (One for that computer, one for each of the others.) Open the registry with regedit and search for the key "UserID" when you find it, export it. (This does not change the registry but creates a file that can be carried to the other computers.) Create shortcuts to each of the N+1 directories and add the -local command line flag. Configure each copy with a different MachineID.

On each of the other computers, double-click on the file that was exported from the registry and add that key to each of their registries. Everything else that is needed is in each of the N directories which can be transported back an forth as needed. When one computer finishes, you must leave it idle until it's results have been moved back to the primary computer for uploading. Only then can you get a new assignment. (Never two WUs for the same client.
You'll actually have to install a client on the remote machine and then export the registry ID to your home machine before you can get a WU to run on the remote.
You mean that you export the registry ID from your home computer and import it to each of the others.
Pronto

Post by Pronto »

Thanks guys. I'll have a word with the Boss and see what we can do.
Pronto