A journalist reporting on F@H

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

jmanier

A journalist reporting on F@H

Post by jmanier »

Hi,

I'm doing a Chicago Tribune story on distributed computing, including F@H, and would like to talk with someone who has put the program on a computer at home. (I spoke today with Vijay Pande, who said it would OK for me to post here... if you have to move my post to a better location please do.)

My interest is mainly in non-scientists, though any F@H user would be a great help. If you'd like to chat please send me an email at jmanier@tribune.com, or call me at the Tribune, at 312-222-4830.

Thanks very much,
Jeremy Manier
Science and Medical Reporter
Chicago Tribune
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

I'd be happy to help you if you need the point of view of a French folder ;)

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
v00d00
Hardware configuration: FX8320e (6 cores enabled) @ stock,
- 16GB DDR3,
- Zotac GTX 1050Ti @ Stock.
- Gigabyte GTX 970 @ Stock
Debian 9.

Running GPU since it came out, CPU since client version 3.
Folding since Folding began (~2000) and ran Genome@Home for a while too.
Ran Seti@Home prior to that.

Post by v00d00 »

Yes i can give you the lowdown as well. I currently run the client on Windows and Linux, both SMP and UniProc.

As far as the chat goes, it might be as well to use the FAH room at freenode, unless you want to do it via email, pm, or on here.
jmanier

Post by jmanier »

I'm not familiar with freenode... but if you give me directions I could find you there. Otherwise people can just eail me at jmanier@tribune.com

Oh, and I'm also interested in people running this on the PS3, since Vijay said that's accounting for a lot of the processing these days.
bruce

Post by bruce »

You might want put the phone call on the Tribune's bill since the two responses that you've gotten are from France and from UK. (v00c00 and toTOW: You might send jmanier a PM with your phone number and a suggested time for him to call. Then he can decide.)

There are lots of folks here state-side, too. Perhaps some folks in the Chicago timezone might be easier to reach but it's up to them to volunteer. (Central Standard Time = GMT -6 hours)
ICE_9

Post by ICE_9 »

I will drop a line on our teams forums. Hopefully some of them may reply.
http://www.hardforum.com

Team [H]ard OCP.
v00d00
Hardware configuration: FX8320e (6 cores enabled) @ stock,
- 16GB DDR3,
- Zotac GTX 1050Ti @ Stock.
- Gigabyte GTX 970 @ Stock
Debian 9.

Running GPU since it came out, CPU since client version 3.
Folding since Folding began (~2000) and ran Genome@Home for a while too.
Ran Seti@Home prior to that.

Post by v00d00 »

bruce wrote:You might want put the phone call on the Tribune's bill since the two responses that you've gotten are from France and from UK. (v00c00 and toTOW: You might send jmanier a PM with your phone number and a suggested time for him to call. Then he can decide.)
Hence why i suggested using irc on freenode. Its easier to deal with a transcript, than to deal with a tape recording (unless the OP is really old school). Alternatively maybe Ventrillo or Skype if voice is really required (IP is cheaper than a standard phone call).

But i second Bruce's suggestion to find someone stateside. If not, either toTOW or myself will sort it out for you.

Whats your deadline?
Jmarks
Hardware configuration: A) Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6 Motherboard, 2gig ocz PC6400 memory, 1 80gig hard drive sata II, 1 250gig sata II hard drive, 256 ATI READON X1300PRO video card and a Intel Q9450 CPU. Win XP running SMP.
B) Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6 Motherboard, 4gig Adata PC6400 memory, 1 250gig sata II hard drive, SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 2600XT 256MB video card and a Intel Q9450 CPU. Win XP running SMP.
C) Intel P35 mother board, 4 gig g gyles PC6400 memory, 1 250gig sata II hard drive, 256 ATI READON X1300PRO video card and a Intel E66000 CPU. Win XP running SMP.

Post by Jmarks »

I am from NJ. I am disabled so I only have a 2 to 3 hour window when I am able to talk without my medication kicking in. So I will need to call 8:00 am Eastern time.

I will call the phone listed today if I do not talk to you, you will need to reply to this post to tell me what day you want me to call if at all.

Jon
anko1
Hardware configuration: Old Faithful CPU: Windows Graphical 5.03; Intel Pentium 4 Processor 540
(3.2GHz) HT;Windows XP
Big Red: Windows SMP Console 6.29; Windows GPU console 6.20r1; Intel Q9450 2.66G; ASUS P5Q 775 P45; [BFG 9800GTX+ old graphics card] NVidia GeForce 8800 GTX [as of 5/9/09]; Windows XP Pro SP3
Lenovo Think Pad: Windows 6.29 w/ SMP; Windows GPU Console 6.20r1 systray; Intel QX9300; NVIDIA Quadro FX-3700M; Windows XP Professional

Post by anko1 »

I'm in CA, if you want to talk to a real novice, non-compute savvy user. :wink: Let me know and I'll email you my phone number.
Ultra Nexus

Re: A journalist reporting on F@H

Post by Ultra Nexus »

jmanier wrote:.......would like to talk with someone who has put the program on a computer at home....
jmanier wrote: Oh, and I'm also interested in people running this on the PS3, since Vijay said that's accounting for a lot of the processing these days.
Remember that on a PS3, there isnt any "installing" to do, like on a PC.
alancabler

Post by alancabler »

Chicagoland folding donors are especially encouraged to contact Jeremy Manier right away! jmanier@tribune.com
MoneyGuyBK

Re: A journalist reporting on F@H

Post by MoneyGuyBK »

jmanier wrote:Hi,

I'm doing a Chicago Tribune story on distributed computing, including F@H, and would like to talk with someone who has put the program on a computer at home. (I spoke today with Vijay Pande, who said it would OK for me to post here... if you have to move my post to a better location please do.)

My interest is mainly in non-scientists, though any F@H user would be a great help. If you'd like to chat please send me an email at jmanier@tribune.com, or call me at the Tribune, at 312-222-4830.

Thanks very much,
Jeremy Manier
Science and Medical Reporter
Chicago Tribune
JManier;
There are a lot of people on [my team] that would be delighted to talk to you about Folding@Home project.
Our Boards are on the following two sites:
http://forums.rampantspeculation.com/index.php
http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportfor ... h_Talk_XPS

I would suggest you use the first one and post your topic there, there are also a couple of people on our team that do fold on PS3

Mostly we do SMP_Clients on Linux and Windows.

Our team started in July 2007, and we have since moved into the Top-200, we should be in the Top_100 by Spring 2008.

I am sure we could help you.

Peace
T.E.A.M. “Together Everyone Accomplishes Miracles!”
OC, S. California ... God Bless All
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Easy does it on the team promotion stuff. That info could just have easily been sent by email or PM or phone.

This is a team-agnostic forum, so let's keep it that way! Thanks.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
MoneyGuyBK

Post by MoneyGuyBK »

7im wrote:Easy does it on the team promotion stuff. That info could just have easily been sent by email or PM or phone.

This is a team-agnostic forum, so let's keep it that way! Thanks.

Thanx 7im
I was not aware that I could not name my team, I will watch this henceforth.

Peace
T.E.A.M. “Together Everyone Accomplishes Miracles!”
OC, S. California ... God Bless All
d-con

Post by d-con »

Bruce is the right person to talk to.

-David