Flags

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Uturnaroun

Flags

Post by Uturnaroun »

I noticed in the FAQ on the site, it mentions a few times about using flags in the console clients. How exactly do you type in the flags though?
uncle fuzzy

Re: Flags

Post by uncle fuzzy »

Right click the shortcut for the client, click Properties. In the Target line of the Properties popup, put the curser at the right end of the line and type a space, then a dash, then the flag you want to use. For multiple flags, add another space and another dash and another flag.

"C:\folding\fah6-win-x86-console.exe" -verbosity 9 -forceasm -local -advmethods
Proud to crash my machines as a Beta Tester!

uncle_fungus
Site Admin

Post by uncle_fungus »

uncle fuzzy wrote:Right click the shortcut for the client, click Properties. In the Target line of the Properties popup, put the curser at the right end of the line and type a space, then a dash, then the flag you want to use. For multiple flags, add another space and another dash and another flag.

"C:\folding\fah6-win-x86-console.exe" -verbosity 9 -forceasm -local -advmethods
One other thing. Make sure that the flags are put outside the quotes around the path.
noorman
Hardware configuration: Folders: Intel C2D E6550 @ 3.150 GHz + GPU XFX 9800GTX+ @ 765 MHZ w. WinXP-GPU
AMD A2X64 3800+ @ stock + GPU XFX 9800GTX+ @ 775 MHZ w. WinXP-GPU
Main rig: an old Athlon Barton 2500+ @2.25 GHz & 2* 512 MB RAM Apacer, Radeon 9800Pro, WinXP SP3+
Location: Belgium, near the International Sea-Port of Antwerp

Post by noorman »

In most cases, these flags are called 'switches'.

They 're used to tell a program to take this or that in to account or f.e. do this or that to a certain degree, like the -verbosity switch followed by a number.
It tells FaH to give info on what it 's doing and the number indicates how much it needs to output (to screen/session window & to the log file) ...

- stopped Linux SMP w. HT on i7-860@3.5 GHz
Folded since 10-06-04 till 09-2010
MstrBlstr

Post by MstrBlstr »

May be helpful.

How do I know what the client flags (-switches) are and what they do?

See the "See Also" links at the bottom of the page for further details.
-=MB=-
Uturnaroun

Post by Uturnaroun »

Ok, thanks everyone.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

MstrBlstr wrote:May be helpful.

How do I know what the client flags (-switches) are and what they do?

See the "See Also" links at the bottom of the page for further details.
Hey, good example. And a well written wiki wentry woo. ;)
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
MstrBlstr

Post by MstrBlstr »

Yes it was, on both counts. Even for a "rough draft". ;)
-=MB=-
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

A rough draft is when the bar wench doesn't tilt the stein enough. ;)
Akuma16

Post by Akuma16 »

Uturnaroun wrote:I noticed in the FAQ on the site, it mentions a few times about using flags in the console clients. How exactly do you type in the flags though?
I've often wondered, does the graphical client respond to the same set of flags? For example, I would like to use the advmethods flag with my GUI clients.
MstrBlstr

Post by MstrBlstr »

I believe that it does. But there should also be an option in the configuration options that would do the same thing.

To change the GUI client settings, right click on the red protein in the sys. tray, select configure, and find the line that says something about running advmethods, place a check mark in that box, save.

I only run one GUI client, and it is not handy ATM. I could check it tomorrow sometime though to be more precise.
-=MB=-
7im

Post by 7im »

Yes, you can use the same switches with the GUI as with the console client.

BigWU is an option in the GUI configuration, but not advmethods (v5.x). To run adv, you'd need to add the switch to the shortcut that launches the client.
Phred15

Post by Phred15 »

of the 8 to 10 times I've tried to use the -oneunit flag it has only worked once. This is running the client in a command window and not as a service which will restart the the command. I am going to have to shut down 3 smp clients tomorrow as I am leaving on vacation for a couple of months. I'll be giving it a try again then.
uncle fuzzy

Post by uncle fuzzy »

A refresher.
1- stop the client
2- right click your start shortcut and click properties
3- in the Target line, at the right end, add a space, a dash, and oneunit, click OK
4- restart the client
5- look for this in the command window/FAHlog:

Code: Select all

Launch directory: C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\2nd cpu
Executable: C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\2nd cpu\fah6-win-x86-console.exe
Arguments: -local -verbosity 9 -forceasm -advmethods -oneunit 
Proud to crash my machines as a Beta Tester!

bruce

Post by bruce »

uncle fuzzy wrote:A refresher. . .
6- Be aware of one known bug: The -oneunit flag only works if the WU finishes normally. If there is an error in the WU, the client will process the error and then download a new WU rather than stopping. (There's not much you can do about that but it's on the bug list.)
7- Be aware that the -oneunit flag is not useful with a service install. It's processed correctly and shuts down FAH, but Windows sees that the service has stopped and restarts it. You can either stop the service and use -oneunit interactively or you can change the properties of the service. (I don't expect this to be fixed. The batch client doesn't support command line switches and Stanford has no responsibility to deal with problems caused by 3rd party tools or by registry edits.)