Confused

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Matress_of_evil

Re: Confused

Post by Matress_of_evil »

Excessively long? It only took 2 minutes to read and follow what it says. :P

...But it wouldn't work. I got an error message when I tried to stop the service:

Did you read note 3 as well in that link?
Note 3 wrote:The -local flag is implied by -svcstart, so adding it is useless.
The -svcstart flag was already there in the registry so I changed it to -local...was this the right thing to do?

Once I did that, I tried restarting the service, and I got the error message AGAIN. Anyone know what the problem is? :?
John Naylor
Hardware configuration: Q9450 OC @ 3.2GHz (Win7 Home Premium) - SMP2
E7500 OC @ 3.66GHz (Windows Home Server) - SMP2
i5-3750k @ 3.8GHz (Win7 Pro) - SMP2

Post by John Naylor »

I was referring to the length of the URL... as you say, the page itself is quick and easy to follow :)
Folding whatever I'm sent since March 2006 :) Beta testing since October 2006. www.FAH-Addict.net Administrator since August 2009.
Matress_of_evil

Ah k...thanks for the link anyways. :)

Any idea about the cause of my problems though?
anandhanju

Post by anandhanju »

Is there a reason that you've got FAH in the temp directory? Some applications are designed to clean the temp files and this can cause your Folding data to get deleted. I'd rerun the config to delete the service and install it a-fresh from a safe location. Also, AFAIK, services need the -svcstart flag. The -local flag doesn't make any difference.
Matress_of_evil

The service didn't ask me where to install to, I just downloaded it, Winzip opened, and I installed it. It NEVER asked me where to install to, so I just assumed it was in Program Files or something. Is this why I can't find the files for the service?

Anyways, I ran the installation again (I again wasn't asked where to install it to) and once I finished entering all the information, Folding@home started running in an MS-DOS box. And the box stayed on screen. Is it supposed to do that? I left it running overnight, and when I got back on my computer the MS-DOS box was still there - if I minimise it, it stays on the taskbar, and I find that REALLY annoying.

What will happen if I close the box? Will it just close the screen and leave the program running? What will happen if I restart Windows? It managed to complete 20% of the unit overnight so I don't want to lose all that work...

I just want to be able to run the graphical client on my CPU AND the graphical client on my GPU...
v00d00
Hardware configuration: FX8320e (6 cores enabled) @ stock,
- 16GB DDR3,
- Zotac GTX 1050Ti @ Stock.
- Gigabyte GTX 970 @ Stock
Debian 9.

Running GPU since it came out, CPU since client version 3.
Folding since Folding began (~2000) and ran Genome@Home for a while too.
Ran Seti@Home prior to that.

Post by v00d00 »

You might have got more replies had you posted in the correct section.

This is General Folding (ie annoying errors, weird things, computer meltdowns, etc), not GPU.

GPU section is: Running Win Beta client v6.0 (Text or GUI) on a GPU

Im not sure if you can run two GUI apps side by side, and since i dont run GPU, i'll leave it to someone who has better knowledge.
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

Matress_of_evil wrote:The service didn't ask me where to install to, I just downloaded it, Winzip opened, and I installed it.
Did you run it for the Winzip window ? :shock:

It's always better to select extract and to put it in it's own folder ...

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

v00d00 wrote:Im not sure if you can run two GUI apps side by side, and since i dont run GPU, i'll leave it to someone who has better knowledge.
I'm affraid that they'll both try to use Machine ID 1 ... and this wil result in a conflict between the two :(

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
Matress_of_evil

Well seeing as my original post was a mini-rant about the download links being out-of-date on the downloads page, I thought this was a better place to put it, v00d00. :P

My sister annoyingly turned off my computer after I made the last post, and when I restarted Windows, the MS-DOS box did NOT come up, so i'm not sure if it's even running the GPU client at the moment. I don't understand why it wasn't intended for people to run two copies of folding though - it seems the most obvious thing in the world to me. Surely using both the CPU and the GPU - whether separately to fold two different units or combine them to fold the same unit - would mean more proteins can be folded? Not having a client that can do that just seems to be a waste of a lot of computing power to me... :(