Confusing language on the DOWNLOAD page

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

neilrieck
Hardware configuration: Various platforms all sporting graphics cards: two P4 system running Windows-XP with Nvidea GTX-560 graphics cards.; two core-i7 systems running Windws-7 with AMD HD-6500); lots of stuff in between including two Core2 systems running Windows-Vista.

Confusing language on the DOWNLOAD page

Post by neilrieck »

First off, I must mention that I have no problems with the technical language on the client s/w download page. However, many medical professionals have told me that they find the page confusing. (So I guess medicine really is an "art" rather than a "science") :-)

So here are my suggestions for a few changes:

1) the phrase "Graphical client" should be changed to either "GUI client" or "non-text client".

2) Since "GPU" is so close to "CPU" (as in "GPU-Client" vs "CPU-Client"), "GPU" should be changed to "GPC" (Graphical Co-processor)

Just my 2-cents worth.

Neil Rieck
Kitchener/Waterloo/Cambridge,
Ontario, Canada.
http://www3.sympatico.ca/n.rieck/docs/GHLE.html
Neil Rieck
Ontario, Canada.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Re: Confusing language on the DOWNLOAD page

Post by 7im »

An incomplete diagnosis would seem to be the problem. The "types" of clients are explained at the bottom of the download page.
What are the different types of clients? The Consoles run in the background and are launched from a terminal window (command line), to which they output text messages about the simulation's progress. The Graphical client runs in the background and has a graphics window available that allows you to see the protein being simulated. The screensaver runs just like any other screensaver, except that it also runs our calculation in the background.
Feel free to suggest any additions to that language you think might help our poor misguided medical friends. Or maybe that paragraph should be moved up the page, now that the list of clients is so very long. I do see how that might get missed. :(

I agree with the CPU vs. GPU confusion, but "co-processor" is somewhat inaccurate. GPGPU is more accurate, less confusing, but just too much extra typing to say the same thing. And changing the name kinda kills the CPU and GPU naming symmetry. ;)
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
neilrieck
Hardware configuration: Various platforms all sporting graphics cards: two P4 system running Windows-XP with Nvidea GTX-560 graphics cards.; two core-i7 systems running Windws-7 with AMD HD-6500); lots of stuff in between including two Core2 systems running Windows-Vista.

Post by neilrieck »

The reason I was thinking "co-processor" is this: back in the day, an 80x86 CPU could only do Integer math in hardware. All floating point math had to be simulated in software until Intel introduced the 80x87 FP Co-processor. In later generations this FP logic was moved on die with teh CPU but I digress.

As I understand it, your FAH client software utilizes the ATI card as a vector (or even tensor?) co-processor.

But I get your point. :-)

Neil Rieck
Neil Rieck
Ontario, Canada.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

The ATI card does all of the processing for the GPU client. The CPU usage you see with that client is a function of DX9 polling for data. The CPU feeds the GPU with data, but does not process work unit data, so co-processor does not fit the description quite like the 387 co-processor I added to my 386 SX-25. ;)

What do you think about moving that description paragraph, or updating any of that text?
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
anko1
Hardware configuration: Old Faithful CPU: Windows Graphical 5.03; Intel Pentium 4 Processor 540
(3.2GHz) HT;Windows XP
Big Red: Windows SMP Console 6.29; Windows GPU console 6.20r1; Intel Q9450 2.66G; ASUS P5Q 775 P45; [BFG 9800GTX+ old graphics card] NVidia GeForce 8800 GTX [as of 5/9/09]; Windows XP Pro SP3
Lenovo Think Pad: Windows 6.29 w/ SMP; Windows GPU Console 6.20r1 systray; Intel QX9300; NVIDIA Quadro FX-3700M; Windows XP Professional

Post by anko1 »

I think your suggestion of moving the description to the top before the list of clients is a very good one, especially since the list is so long. If I'm a new and not very sophisticated user (which I was and still am [not sophisticated, that is]), I'm not going to go very far past the "recommended" downloads, especially when I start seeing betas. I might add a line that the graphical client is more user friendly, especially in configuring it.
neilrieck

Post by neilrieck »

7im wrote:The ATI card does all of the processing for the GPU client. The CPU usage you see with that client is a function of DX9 polling for data. The CPU feeds the GPU with data, but does not process work unit data, so co-processor does not fit the description quite like the 387 co-processor I added to my 386 SX-25. ;)

What do you think about moving that description paragraph, or updating any of that text?
Sure. Try moving it first then get a non-technical person (like a medical doctor or dentist) to see if the page is less confusing. If moving some lines doesn't help much then you'll have to tweak some words.

p.s. You poll the card? I just assumed it was all interrupt driven.
Neil Rieck
Ontario, Canada.
neilrieck

Post by neilrieck »

neilrieck wrote:
p.s. You poll the card? I just assumed it was all interrupt driven.
One of the fah people sent me a private message stating that polling the graphics card is something that is done by the DirectX-9 API (which means that the polling "feature" was put in by Microsoft). He also mentioned that MS fixed this in DirectX-10 under Windows-Vista (at least for PCI-E cards).

Now I know that fah requires DX9 but I do have the fah-GPU software running on a Vista machine with an ATI card in a PCI-e slot "and the CPU associated with that process is not maxed out at 100%". Just food for thought.
Neil Rieck
Ontario, Canada.