Recommended software / Download Section

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

goose

Recommended software / Download Section

Post by goose »

Hi,

seems that there is something wrong with the "recommended software furnished by your browser" function. My browser / os is Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; de; rv:1.8.1.12) Gecko/20080129 Iceweasel/2.0.0.12 (Debian-2.0.0.12-1) and i got the Windows client as recommendation. It would make sense to recommend the linux client for windows users but not the other way around, thats just disgusting :-)
sneakers55

Re: Recommended software / Download Section

Post by sneakers55 »

goose wrote:seems that there is something wrong with the "recommended software furnished by your browser" function.
Yes, it recommends the Windows version for a PS3.
AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core 4200+ (2.2 GHz)
Intel C2D 6400 (2.13 GHz)
Intel C2D T7800 (2.6 GHz)
PS3
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

goose wrote:Hi,

seems that there is something wrong with the "recommended software furnished by your browser" function. My browser / os is Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; de; rv:1.8.1.12) Gecko/20080129 Iceweasel/2.0.0.12 (Debian-2.0.0.12-1) and i got the Windows client as recommendation. It would make sense to recommend the linux client for windows users but not the other way around, thats just disgusting :-)
They do try to support the most common browsers. How many FireFox step children are there? ;)
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
susato
Site Moderator

Post by susato »

Browsing with Firefox on a G4 (PPC) Mac I found the downloads page recommending Windows software for me too. :rofl:

So, yeah, the detection system is not perfect. Which is the second reason that all the other clients are displayed further down on the same window. (the first reason being that you might be checking for a client that would run on your other computer)

But at some point you have to trust the user to know what operating system is running, and trust to their sense of humor if the recommendation doesn't quite match it.
Flathead74

Post by Flathead74 »

Maybe it's a matter of which side of the pond you live on but,
I don't think that it quite rises to the level of "disgusting". :lol: