Working on Giving Russians Opium May Alter Current Situation

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

RU_Hil
Hardware configuration: Home PC: Intel Core 2 Q6600@3500 (1,46 V), Asus P5K Premium, cooler IceHammer IH-4400A, EVGA 8800GTS-512 (KO), 4x1024 DDR2-800@1040 Crucial Ballistix, 2x1 TB WDC (RAID0), case Hiper Anubis, PSU Corsair 520 Wt (modular) etc.

Main work: AMD Phenom x4 9750@3060 (1,475 V), GigaByte GA-MA790FX-DQ6, cooler IceHammer IH-4400B, HIS ATI HD 3870 IceQ3 Turbo (@890), 2x1024 MB Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800@1020, HDD Samsung LJ753 (750 GB) SATA2, case Antec P182 + PSU Hiper Type-R 880 Wt etc.

And 4 PCs more ranging from Х2 5000+ BE@3100 to Core 2 E8400@3950.

Re: Working on Giving Russians Opium May Alter Current Situa

Post by RU_Hil »

OMG, that's fun. Well, nothing changed since that time year ago...
jonsku

Post by jonsku »

Sidicas wrote:My dad called me over today saying that Russians hacked into his computer and was making it send bogus data to folding@home.. So he hasn't been running folding@home anymore. Checked the logs and sure enough.. "Giving Russians Opium May Alter Current Situation" was one of the last things in the logs before he shut it down.
I thought the Folding@home servers were compromised when I first saw one of these messages.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

No compromised servers in over 10 years, and none now. The clent server communicatios are encrypted, so not likely to happen soon. :)
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
Stonecold

Post by Stonecold »

Why would hackers try to compromise FAH servers? They can't issue updates to FAHClient or FAHControl, and as far as I know there is no backdoor in them, so all compromising the servers could do would be to give out bogus work units. I suppose a hacker could use an advanced technique like a buffer overflow, but even then why FAH? Not only is Stanford's servers quite secure, but the amount of FAH users that would get successfully infected and become part of an (involuntary) botnet would be too low to be profitable. It would be much more likely for a hacker to break into a news site or forum, and install an exploit kit in it than to compromise FAH assignment/collection servers.

1. Try to hack into a site with very good security
2. Somehow send a WU that acts as malware or use an undisclosed backdoor in FAH
3. Possibly infect a low number of FAH users (many of which will clean their computers of the malware)
4. ???
5. Don't profit...

The bottom line is that hackers don't care about something with such a poor botnet-recruitment potential like FAH, and they'd have no reason to go to all the trouble just to get a few more slaves in their net.

7im wrote:The clent server communicatios are encrypted, so not likely to happen soon. :)
If a hacker were to successfully compromise the actual servers and were to gain root access (with a rootkit, etc) then encryption wouldn't matter, and it would be trivial to bypass it. Plus, SSL is only to prevent eavesdroppers from reading the data, if the server is compromised then the encryption doesn't matter, they could easily get the SSL certificate. And most hackers/botmasters will use SSL for their own security. Furthermore, SSL is usually uses the RC4 algorithm, which is extremely trivial to brute-force (it's old and insecure). The only thing protecting the servers is its own security, not SSL encryption.
Last edited by Stonecold on Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Stonecold wrote:The bottom line is that hackers don't care about something with such a poor botnet-recruitment potential like FAH, and they'd have no reason to go to all the trouble just to get a few more slaves in their net.
True, but Stanford is going to continue to be vigilant about security.

Why do hackers write viruses? That's about like the famous question about why would someone want to climb Mount Everest . . . "Because it's there" . . . not necessarily because the target is an easy target for botnet-recruitment.
Stonecold

Post by Stonecold »

bruce wrote:True, but Stanford is going to continue to be vigilant about security.
Yeah, and I doubt most hackers would possess the skills to break into it even if they tried.
bruce wrote:Why do hackers write viruses? That's about like the famous question about why would someone want to climb Mount Everest . . . "Because it's there" . . . not necessarily because the target is an easy target for botnet-recruitment.
Actually the majority of viruses are for profit. Only a few trojans made by bored programmers are just "for the lulz". Like Windows Optimizer is just to destroy data as an (evil) prank. Otherwise, you can name every major virus/worm/trojan/bot/RAT etc and they're virtually all for profit, whether because the programmer wants to use it themselves or (more likely) to sell them to script kiddies who will then use it to make money (e.g. Zeus and SpyEye for credit card theft). Or the Optima bot (for selling DDoS services), or even the $10,000 Chaos RAT (for personalized and highly FUD attacks against Macs). The "why do people make viruses" question has been answered long ago when it shifted from nasty hobby to huge for-profit deep web services. Now days its more of a myth that viruses have no purpose.

These days hacking and malware is either financially motivated (e.g. Zeus's creator and deep web "pay-per-hack" services) or especially recently, politically motivated (Anonymous, LulzSec, UGNazi, Cult of the Dead Cow, etc).
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

There are lots of fringe hacking the media doesn't cover, so be careful about generalizing too much. DC projects have always been "hacking" targets at one level or another. Google it. Money is not the only motivation. Fame, ideology, even points are also strong motivations. You know what they say about assuming...
Stonecold

Post by Stonecold »

7im wrote:There are lots of fringe hacking the media doesn't cover, so be careful about generalizing too much. DC projects have always been "hacking" targets at one level or another. Google it. Money is not the only motivation. Fame, ideology, even points are also strong motivations. You know what they say about assuming...
I know. I'm just saying it's far less likely that Stanford's FAH servers would be hacked then anything else.
7im

Post by 7im »

Thank you for clearing that up, because parts of your earlier posts carried a different message.
Stonecold

Post by Stonecold »

Oh OK. Sorry.
Fritschenstien
Hardware configuration: "Fritschenstien"
Intel Celeron 3400 dual core (2.60Ghz) - 2.73Ghz oc
Intel DP43BF main board
4Gb PNY ram
Nvidia PNY GTX 560 Ti
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit

"Shambler"
Stock E-machine guts in a home built custom aluminum case.
Intel Celeron 450 2.20 GHz
2Gb ram
Nvidia PNY GT 430
Win 7 Home 64bit

Post by Fritschenstien »

I got "Working on Good ROcking Metal Altar for Chronical Sinners" its funny cause I play heavy metal and rock guitar!
SeyfertR
Hardware configuration: ASUS P6T7 Supercomputer, I7 990x, 18GB RAM and 2 ea GTX 590.

Post by SeyfertR »

Good evening.

I just received this tag line on PRCG 8072 (0, 1284, 56). What ever happened to removing this tag line from the code, as indicated by the early thread?

Take care and have a good day.

Rich Seyfert
Qinsp

Post by Qinsp »

I think they switched it to Rabbits, but then PETA protested them.

And when they switched Opium with Orange, Anita Bryant threw a rock through their window.
Quality Inspection - Corona, CA, USA
Dimensional Inspection Laboratory
Pat McSwain, President
7im

Post by 7im »

SeyfertR wrote:Good evening.

I just received this tag line on PRCG 8072 (0, 1284, 56). What ever happened to removing this tag line from the code, as indicated by the early thread?

Take care and have a good day.

Rich Seyfert
Please understand this has nothing to do with the functionality of the client and is thus low on the priority list of things to get resolved. Second, Folding@home has no direct control over the working of status messages that are added to the Gromacs.org coding used by FAH. Lastly, there is a 2 year upgrade cycle while gromacs updates, and while FAH incorporates that update code with the "marginally less offensive" language.

Also note that older fah projects running the current fahcores will not be ending for several additional years. Don't hold your breath. This change is in the "not soon" category. ;)
proteneer
Pande Group Member

Post by proteneer »

New FAHCore will not have any of this.
He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how

www.proteneer.com