Sun Leaks 6-core Intel Xeon, Nehalem Details

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Sun Leaks 6-core Intel Xeon, Nehalem Details

Post by 7im »

http://www.dailytech.com/Sun+Leaks+6cor ... e10834.htm
excerpt from article wrote:Dunnington, Intel's 45nm six-core Xeon processor from the Penryn family, will succeed the Xeon Tigerton processor. Whereas Tigerton is essentially two 65nm Core 2 Duo processors fused on one package, Dunnington will be Intel's first Core 2 Duo processor with three dual-core banks.

Dunnington includes 16MB of L3 cache shared by all six processors. Each pair of cores can also access 3MB of local L2 cache.
Time to get a SMP client (by Q4 08) with more than 4 fahcores. ;)
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
toTOW
Site Moderator

Re: Sun Leaks 6-core Intel Xeon, Nehalem Details

Post by toTOW »

Maybe in 2017 :roll:

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
kasson
Pande Group Member

Post by kasson »

We'll have a F@H SMP core ready by that time that can handle the required number of CPU cores.
zanth

Post by zanth »

That's really cool, tho unfortunately that would mean a person like myself(I'm completely linux stupid) would have to upgrade to vista, since XP would see that as three processors.
Flathead74

Post by Flathead74 »

Windows XP Professional can support up to two processors regardless of the number of cores on the processor.
from this page.
Microsoft Windows XP Home supports one processor
alancabler

Post by alancabler »

kasson wrote:We'll have a F@H SMP core ready by that time that can handle the required number of CPU cores.
Sure you will.
Facts are not truth. Facts are merely facets of the shining diamond of truth.
Nonymoussurfer
Hardware configuration: Q6600 G0 @3.0GHz - 9657AB, OCZ600SXS 2x8800GS 1x running GPU2, VM-Notfred SMP (2), Vista 32bit
Q6600 G0 @3.0GHz -IP35V, EA430, Notfred SMP diskless
Q6600 G0 @3.0GHz -IP35E, Antec 650W. Notfred SMP diskless
X3210 B3 @3.0GHz - P5B-965 Deluxe EA430, Notfred SMP diskless
X3210 G0 @2.8GHz - GA-G31M-S2L EA380, Notfred SMP diskless
E6300 B2 @3.0GHz - GA-965P-DS3,, CP-500T, HD3870 GPU2, XP MCE
E2160@1.8GHz generic emachine, EA380, 9600GSO GPU2,1 CPU client, vista 32bit
P4@3.2GHz generic emachine, NEO380, 8800GT GPU2, XP MCE
Athlon64@2.2GHz - NFK8AB-RS, EA430, 8800GT GPU2, XP Pro 32bit

Post by Nonymoussurfer »

et tu cabler?
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

Flathead74 wrote:
Windows XP Professional can support up to two processors regardless of the number of cores on the processor.
from this page.
Microsoft Windows XP Home supports one processor
This is one physical processor, one socket if you like it better. Logical processors (Hyperthreading) and cores in the same processors are all on the same socket, so it is supported.

P.S : XP Pro supports two physical processors (I run a bi-opteron 2212 under XP Pro, which is a dual socket F system : two physical processors, four cores (2*2))

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
zanth

Post by zanth »

I was told that the Intel chips, in the case of the Quad, 2 dual cores on one socket, but still counted as two processors, each with two cores. Thus a box with two of AMD's Quad's would work under XP Pro, but two of Intel's would not. Is this actually not the case? XP just displays each core as a processor under Device Manager. If I am mistaken, I take back my previous comment. :)

Edit: Sentence didn't make much sense, still is a bit off, but meh, its comprehensible.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

zanth wrote:I was told that the Intel chips, in the case of the Quad, 2 dual cores on one socket, but still counted as two processors, each with two cores. Thus a box with two of AMD's Quad's would work under XP Pro, but two of Intel's would not. Is this actually not the case? XP just displays each core as a processor under Device Manager. If I am mistaken, I take back my previous comment. :)

Edit: Sentence didn't make much sense, still is a bit off, but meh, its comprehensible.
You were told incorrectly.

I published the list of supported processor sockets per MS operating system in the Known Bugs List sticky post at the top of the Windows SMP Beta section of the forum. MS only looks at sockets, not cores, and doesn't care about Intel vs. AMD. My list probably came from the same link Flathead74 posted above.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
uncle fuzzy

Post by uncle fuzzy »

I'm running a q6600 with XP Home- 4 cores, one socket, works fine.
Proud to crash my machines as a Beta Tester!

neilrieck
Hardware configuration: Various platforms all sporting graphics cards: two P4 system running Windows-XP with Nvidea GTX-560 graphics cards.; two core-i7 systems running Windws-7 with AMD HD-6500); lots of stuff in between including two Core2 systems running Windows-Vista.

Post by neilrieck »

7im wrote:http://www.dailytech.com/Sun+Leaks+6cor ... e10834.htm
excerpt from article wrote:Dunnington, Intel's 45nm six-core Xeon processor from the Penryn family, will succeed the Xeon Tigerton processor. Whereas Tigerton is essentially two 65nm Core 2 Duo processors fused on one package, Dunnington will be Intel's first Core 2 Duo processor with three dual-core banks.

Dunnington includes 16MB of L3 cache shared by all six processors. Each pair of cores can also access 3MB of local L2 cache.
Time to get a SMP client (by Q4 08) with more than 4 fahcores. ;)
Here are two more articles:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20 ... essor.html

http://gizmodo.com/360476/intels-6+core ... ors-leaked

Neil Rieck
Kitchener/Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.
Neil Rieck
Kitchener/Waterloo/Cambridge,
Ontario, Canada.
zanth

Post by zanth »

7im wrote:
zanth wrote:I was told that the Intel chips, in the case of the Quad, 2 dual cores on one socket, but still counted as two processors, each with two cores. Thus a box with two of AMD's Quad's would work under XP Pro, but two of Intel's would not. Is this actually not the case? XP just displays each core as a processor under Device Manager. If I am mistaken, I take back my previous comment. :)

You were told incorrectly.

I published the list of supported processor sockets per MS operating system in the Known Bugs List sticky post at the top of the Windows SMP Beta section of the forum. MS only looks at sockets, not cores, and doesn't care about Intel vs. AMD. My list probably came from the same link Flathead74 posted above.
Ah, thats very good to know, thank you for setting me straight. :) The more you know and all that.