FAH client Dload page recommends Windows clients 4 Macintosh

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Scott_Waugh

FAH client Dload page recommends Windows clients 4 Macintosh

Post by Scott_Waugh »

I didn't really know where to put this one, so I'm dropping it here - this has to do with the FAH client download site. I finally had some time to get an updated beta for my Mac (Intel) and went to the Download page on my Mac browser.

It says the "Recommended software (based on information furnished by your browser)" are the Windows clients (5.03 and 5.04) - in pink background. This is completely wrong of course, and would seem to setup new Mac users for total frustration/errors and make many give up before they started folding successfully. I don't know if this browser behavior is shown for Linux browsers or not - perhaps someone using Linux could weigh in on this.

It does this Windows client recommendation for all three Mac native browsers I have installed:

Camino
Firefox
Safari

I do not have any of the browsers set to spoof (say they are from Windows or are another browser to fool websites that try to serve errors purposely to Mac clients). I'm running a Mac Pro with OS X 10.4.11 on it. I'm also running the latest versions of the different browsers.

Till this gets fixed you might want to update the text in that area saying this only works for Windows browsers so Mac users know to ignore it or rip it out completely.

Scott
VijayPande
Pande Group Member

Re: FAH client Dload page recommends Windows clients 4 Macintosh

Post by VijayPande »

We've looked into this and it looks like Stanford is doing some caching between our servers and people's browsers. Since most people run windows, odds are the windows browser version is the cached copy, resulting in what people are seeing. We are looking into how to work around this caching. If that's not possible, we will not try to do browser identification anymore and just list clients as we did before.
VijayPande
Pande Group Member

Re: FAH client Dload page recommends Windows clients 4 Macintosh

Post by VijayPande »

PS I think I see how to avoid caching just the download page. Based on a test on a few platforms I have at on hand right now (Win, OSX, PS3), it seems to work, but we'll keep an eye on it.