How large are the data files?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

hawkchalk

How large are the data files?

Post by hawkchalk »

Hello to all!

I have a quick question and that is how large are the data files that are being sent back after the calculations have been accomplished? The reason that I ask is that I seem to have an inordinate amount of data being transferred (50M +) off my computer and by what I can see it seems to go back to a Stanford IP. I have signed up for large problems but I just want to make sure that nothing nefarious in going on in my computer!! Any enlightment would be appreciated!!

v/r

Hawkchalk
él Mero

Re: How large are the data files?

Post by él Mero »

I think it differs from work unit to work unit.
Only thing I'm currently folding is the SMP WU:s (p2605):
2.5MB downloading
5.5MB uploading

I complete each of them in about 18 hours, so that means that each client has an average of (2.5 + 5.5) * (24 / 18) = 11 MB/day transfer.
Worst case: Me, folding VMware with two clients, suggests a total of 22 MB/day.

Maybe there are bigger WU:s or maybe you have a Skulltrail, or something, folding with 8 cores on 4 clients (= 44MB/day)? ^^
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Re: How large are the data files?

Post by 7im »

Hello hawkchalk, welcome to the forum.

Work units vary in size, and range from a few 100k to 15+ MB (that I have seen, some may be larger or smaller).

Stanford uses several security techniques to prevent any kind of problems. See the FAQ entry on Security, linked and quoted below for your convenience.

What about security?
What about security issues?
We have worked very hard to maintain the best security possible with modern computer science methodology. Our software will upload and download data only from our data server here at Stanford. Also, we only interact with FAH files on your computer (we don't read, write, or transmit any other files, as we don't need to do so and doing so would violate our privacy policy). The Cores are also digitally signed (see below) to make sure that you're getting the true Stanford cores and nothing else.

How is this possible?
We take extensive measures to check all of the data entering your computer and the results we send back to Stanford with 2048 bit digital signatures. If the signatures don't match (on either the input or the output) the client will throw away the data and start again. This ensures, using the best software security measures developed to date (digital signatures and PKI in version 3.0), that we are keeping the tightest possible security. Finally, the client/screen saver are available for download only from this web site, so that we can guarantee the integrity of the software. We do not support Folding@home software obtained elsewhere and prohibit others to distribute the software.
And in 6+ years this project has been running, no one has even hinted at starting to become "nefarious." The project is safe, and the 200,000 active users would back me up. ;)
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.