Run From USB Stick or Transfer to Inter with USB Stick

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Orision

Run From USB Stick or Transfer to Inter with USB Stick

Post by Orision »

Hi. I've run Folding@home off and on for a few years now. Right now, I am living in a place where getting the internet is nigh impossible (don't ask; just don't ask or I might tell you). I currently have folding at home on my home computer. I would like to be able to transfer the work units to a computer that has an internet connection, and then upload my work units. I could install folding at home on a computer that has an internet connection if need be (but could not keep it running on that computer for various reasons). Or, if that is not possible, I would like to be able to run folding at home off of a USB stick. Heck, even if transferring the work units via USB stick IS possible, I would really like to be able to run FAH from a USB stick! Is any of this already possible? If not, would it be difficult to add such a capability? I really don't care so much about getting the credits to my score, as living longer is more important to me ;)

Oh, yeah: sorry if some of this has already been asked, I did try to find it but my search!successful
anandhanju

Re: Run From USB Stick or Transfer to Inter with USB Stick

Post by anandhanju »

Hello Orision and welcome to the forums!

This wiki link might be of use to you: http://fahwiki.net/index.php/Sneakernetting

If you have any questions or run into issues, feel free to post em here.

Fold on! :mrgreen:
él Mero

Post by él Mero »

Orision wrote:I would really like to be able to run FAH from a USB stick!
Welcome to the forum Orision! Of course you can run FAH from a USB stick!
sneakers55

Post by sneakers55 »

Orision wrote:Hi. I've run Folding@home off and on for a few years now. Right now, I am living in a place where getting the internet is nigh impossible

Or, if that is not possible, I would like to be able to run folding at home off of a USB stick. Heck, even if transferring the work units via USB stick IS possible, I would really like to be able to run FAH from a USB stick! Is any of this already possible? If not, would it be difficult to add such a capability? I really don't care so much about getting the credits to my score, as living longer is more important to me ;)
You can put the folding directories on a USB stick, start it up so it gets a WU, then control-C out when you need to get it off your machine with Internet access.

Then, put the USB stick on your machine without Internet access and crunch away. Control-C out when you're done and need something else to work on.

Then, put the USB stick on the machine with Internet access and start the F@H. It'll upload and then download. Control-C out when you need to get off your machine with Internet access.

Repeat as required... just remember to get out of F@H when you want to remove the USB stick.
AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core 4200+ (2.2 GHz)
Intel C2D 6400 (2.13 GHz)
Intel C2D T7800 (2.6 GHz)
PS3
bruce

Post by bruce »

sneakers55 wrote:You can put the folding directories on a USB stick, start it up so it gets a WU, then control-C out when you need to get it off your machine with Internet access.

Then, put the USB stick on your machine without Internet access and crunch away. Control-C out when you're done and need something else to work on.

Then, put the USB stick on the machine with Internet access and start the F@H. It'll upload and then download. Control-C out when you need to get off your machine with Internet access.

Repeat as required... just remember to get out of F@H when you want to remove the USB stick.
The only problem you forgot to mention (at least for Windows) is the UserID that needs to be in the registry of the non-internet machine. If it connects once, it'll get an entry. Otherwise you have to export the key and import it per the sneakernet instructions. For OS-X and Linux, this is not an issue.
DriveEuro

Post by DriveEuro »

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/09/28 ... n-install/

Even better. Ubuntu on a USB stick. A whole friggen OS. This is what I use on my work laptop (don't have any admin rights) for SMP at night while I sleep.
the animal

Post by the animal »

It's better to just transfer using USB, that way you can run more than one instance so you don't run out of work.