Dumb Question - New Computer

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

johnph77

Dumb Question - New Computer

Post by johnph77 »

It's got to be on this site somewhere but I can't seem to find it - how can I add a new computer so as to generate results that would be credited to my existing account? What parameters to what file(s) need to be changed? Damn, I feel stupid.....
Given sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Re: Dumb Question - New Computer

Post by 7im »

Use the same (oops -- not: UserID) User Name and Team # when answering the setup questions.

Edit by Mod:
User Name is correct. UserID means something else.
-b
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
johnph77

Post by johnph77 »

7im wrote:Use the same UserID (user name) and Team # when answering the setup questions.
Thanks for the quick response. I'd downloaded the console version previously but it indicated that I would be starting from "0" again with the same donor name on the new computer only. What seemed to be the key was editing the "Advanced" options and assigning the new computer a different machine number. This should work - I'll let you know.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

The "0" part was the local work unit count on that computer. And the Machine ID setting is for running more than one client on a single computer (when you have multiple processors). It is not necessary to change the MachineID on each computer. Each computer gets its own System ID (Called the "UserID" in FAHlog.txt) from Stanford automatically.

Edit by Mod
uncle fuzzy

Post by uncle fuzzy »

Even when the WU finishes, each new machine will start its "local count" at 1. Actually, that's each new client will start a seperate count with 1. The total for your user name will be additive from all machines/clients.
Proud to crash my machines as a Beta Tester!

7im

Post by 7im »

See John, even us old timers can't keep this stuff straight. No dumb questions here, but maybe a few dumb answers. ;)
johnph77

Post by johnph77 »

There's no such thing as a dumb answer when someone learns something, and I'm learning.

OK, all systems running hot, straight and normal - the first work unit on the new computer has been credited to the proper account. One last question then I'll try to leave you fine busy folks alone. Should I re-edit my "config" file on the new computer to adjust the Machine ID back to "0" (zero)? It's a quad core Intel, if that would make any difference.
bruce

Post by bruce »

johnph77 wrote:There's no such thing as a dumb answer when someone learns something, and I'm learning.

OK, all systems running hot, straight and normal - the first work unit on the new computer has been credited to the proper account. One last question then I'll try to leave you fine busy folks alone. Should I re-edit my "config" file on the new computer to adjust the Machine ID back to "0" (zero)? It's a quad core Intel, if that would make any difference.
No. We strongly discourage editing config files. The proper way to adjust the configuration is to use restart the client with the -config or the -configonly command like flag.

Any MachineID that's within the allowable range is equally good as long as it doesn't conflict with another client running on the same computer. Don't bother changing it.
Ren02

Post by Ren02 »

johnph77 wrote:OK, all systems running hot, straight and normal - the first work unit on the new computer has been credited to the proper account. One last question then I'll try to leave you fine busy folks alone. Should I re-edit my "config" file on the new computer to adjust the Machine ID back to "0" (zero)? It's a quad core Intel, if that would make any difference.
The highlighted part really caught my eye. Are you by any chance using a single uniprocessor client (5.03 or 5.04) on your brand new quad-core PC? If you are then.. well.. You could run four uniprocessor clients (one for each core) provided you have enough memory (2 GB should do the trick). In that case there should be a separate directory for each client and each one should get a different Machine ID as well.
Another much more lucrative possibility would be running one beta SMP client, which is able to use multiple cores. It has a few quirks but if you can make it past them then it is very productive.