Folding on a Macbook Pro

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Flummoxer

Folding on a Macbook Pro

Post by Flummoxer »

I'm a bit wary of running folding on my new notebook for extended periods of time. Does anyone have any experience with folding on a Macbook Pro/Powerbook?
Macamatic

Post by Macamatic »

I run it on a MacBook (which has much more inadequate ventilation than a MacBook Pro) 24/7 and nothing bad has happened to it. I just keep it supported above the table so it does have extra ventilation.

Otherwise, no problems whatsoever.
Nefarious
Hardware configuration: Moderator for MacLife.com Forums / Folding @ Home section. Approximately 300 CPUs.

Post by Nefarious »

You could set the bigpackets to "no" in the client.cfg

This will reduce the number of proteins that is being run.

This can be set with some installers, or edit the file with TextEdit.
Last edited by Nefarious on Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moderator of the MacLife forum for Team 18.
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

It's not a mac, but I have a laptop that has been folding for almost 6 years ... it's still in good condition ;)

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
Flummoxer

Post by Flummoxer »

Thanks for the replies. :) Also, would you guys recommend running it under Leopard or Vista? Is there even much of a difference?
Nefarious
Hardware configuration: Moderator for MacLife.com Forums / Folding @ Home section. Approximately 300 CPUs.

Post by Nefarious »

Vista ? ( forum rules probably don't allow a flame war )

Anyway, back to a more basic question. If you find the heat is too high on the laptop or the fans are running too long, I'd reconsider running Folding at all.
Moderator of the MacLife forum for Team 18.
Flummoxer

Post by Flummoxer »

Nefarious wrote:Vista ? ( forum rules probably don't allow a flame war )

Anyway, back to a more basic question. If you find the heat is too high on the laptop or the fans are running too long, I'd reconsider running Folding at all.
I was just wondering if there were any performance differences between the two.
uncle_fungus
Site Admin

Post by uncle_fungus »

In general the Linux/OS X SMP clients are more efficient than the Windows version.
tmpchaos

Post by tmpchaos »

I've been running it continuously on my MBP since I received it (over a year), with no ill effects. I'd suggest getting either SMC Fan Control or iCyclone, which give you control over the fans.
codysluder

Post by codysluder »

Nefarious wrote:Vista ? ( forum rules probably don't allow a flame war )
True, in both respects.
In addition to some performance differences (already mentioned), the Windows client does have a setting which configures FAH to run at less than 100% CPU. I run my Win XP laptop at 98% and it's enough cooler to make a lot of difference. In the summer I sometimes have dialed it back to 95%.