4GB Ballistix Tracer DDR2 1066mHz
2X 9800 GX2s
ASUS Striker Extreme / Maximus Formula
2x 150GB Raptors 10,000RPM in RAID 0
850W CoolerMaster PSU.

Software not working correctly?

Post by PurePunjabi »

Hi, Guys.

I have a fairly powerful PC (I'm a overclocker and a benchmarker/nerd) the following are my PC specs:

Motherboard: Asus P5N32-E SLI PLUS LGA775 nVIDIA Dual X16 SLI 4xDDR2 ATX Motherboard.
CPU..........: Processor - 1 x Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 / 2.4 GHz ( 1066 MHz )
GPU..........: X2 BGF 8800 GTX OC (768MBPCI) running both with SLI bridge.
Ram:........: 4X Corsair - Dominator Xtreme Performance TwinX Matched 2048 MB DDR II SDRAM (8 gigs of ram installed but only 3.4 is usable windows restriction I think)
Hadrives:...: X2 Raptor X WD1500AHFD - Hard drive - 150 GB - internal - 3.5" - SATA-150 - 10000 rpm - buffer: 16 MB
PCU.........: Power supply PCP&C Turbo-Cool 1200W.

But the folding software is not taking full potential of my PC. Its just pitiful the results I am getting.
butc8

Re: Software not working correctly?

Post by butc8 »

What results are you getting?
What client did you download?
What is your CPU usage?
PurePunjabi
Hardware configuration: Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 @ 3.4gHz
2X 9800 GX2s
850W CoolerMaster PSU.

Post by PurePunjabi »

butc8 wrote:What results are you getting?
What client did you download?
What is your CPU usage?
Very poor recentls, something like as if I am running a 1ghz celeron. But the point is, it should be processing on the GPU not on the CPU, the GPU is far more powerful then the CPU.
I downloaded the vista client. CPU usages am not sure about. I am using my laptop to post from, I am doing some hardware updates on the actual computer.
butc8

Post by butc8 »

Due to technical reasons only ATI's are supported at this stage, make sure you downloaded the SMP version or run 4 normal clients. Download fahSMP Affinity Changer, gives a 10% boost in performance.
uncle fuzzy

Post by uncle fuzzy »

If you're an OCer, what are you doing with stock clocks on the quad? Mine is running @ 3.3GHz on stock air. I'll take it back up to 3.5 this weekend when I get the new cooler on it. I was at 3.6 on stock air in an unheated room a couple months ago.

Q6600 @ 3.3GHz running 5.91 SMP at 100% makes about 3000 PPD.

A quad will run 4 cpu clients or, depending on your nerd level, one or two copies of the SMP.
Proud to crash my machines as a Beta Tester!

PurePunjabi
2X 9800 GX2s
850W CoolerMaster PSU.

Post by PurePunjabi »

uncle fuzzy wrote:If you're an OCer, what are you doing with stock clocks on the quad? Mine is running @ 3.3GHz on stock air. I'll take it back up to 3.5 this weekend when I get the new cooler on it. I was at 3.6 on stock air in an unheated room a couple months ago.

Q6600 @ 3.3GHz running 5.91 SMP at 100% makes about 3000 PPD.

A quad will run 4 cpu clients or, depending on your nerd level, one or two copies of the SMP.

I'm waiting for my water cooling system to come through. But its my first time OC a Intel Quad. Always preferred AMDs. Currently I have a problem with fitting the graphics cards and the after market cooling the CPU cooling just does not seem to fit. I will have to cut somethings. I'm not a super Geek I've only recently started getting into OC and benchmarking.
uncle fuzzy

Post by uncle fuzzy »

My quad is my first Intel since I had a P II. It's a dedicated folder, so it has a "just put an image on the screen" video card. It's also my first attempt at serious OCing, but I guess I'm just more aggressive, or reckless, or stupid, than most people. At first boot, the mobo set it at 3GHz, so I just went up from there.

Back on topic. You never said which client you tried. The "Vista client" doesn't exist. We're looking for something like "running the 5.04 as a service in Vista". That choice on a quad would give very low points. Give us that kind of detal and we'll try to help you choose a better setup.

PurePunjabi
2X 9800 GX2s
850W CoolerMaster PSU.

Post by PurePunjabi »

Why make the folding software use CPU? makes no sense to me. The graphics cards are far more powerful to do such calculations.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXwOJyHdqbo
PurePunjabi
2X 9800 GX2s
850W CoolerMaster PSU.

Post by PurePunjabi »

uncle fuzzy wrote:My quad is my first Intel since I had a P II. It's a dedicated folder, so it has a "just put an image on the screen" video card. It's also my first attempt at serious OCing, but I guess I'm just more aggressive, or reckless, or stupid, than most people. At first boot, the mobo set it at 3GHz, so I just went up from there.

Back on topic. You never said which client you tried. The "Vista client" doesn't exist. We're looking for something like "running the 5.04 as a service in Vista". That choice on a quad would give very low points. Give us that kind of detal and we'll try to help you choose a better setup.
I downloaded this one I think:
Windows 2000/XP/Vista Graphical client
uncle fuzzy

Post by uncle fuzzy »

ATI cards are the only ones supported. there are several threads that go into the current problems with nVidia folding. GPUs are faster at certain things, but not as powerful or versitile as CPUs. GPUs fold fastly, CPUs fold muchly. I stole that from either 7im or Bruce from the old forum.

If you can get into the quad, check in the FAHlog.txt file for client number, but I'd say you have the v5.03. That is the (fractionally) slowest client there is and made for single core processors. It will only use 1/4 of your CPU. Your q6600 will be barely faster than my XP 3000+ @ 2.3GHz with that single client.

Here's the wiki for running multiple clients. http://fahwiki.net/index.php/FAH_%26_SM ... le_Clients Add 2 more beyond the wiki steps to fully use a quad. The SMP would be more efficient. With multiple clients, only the first can be the GUI version. The rest have to be console versions.

PurePunjabi
2X 9800 GX2s
850W CoolerMaster PSU.

Post by PurePunjabi »

Damn it! I wanted to run the software so it would use my GPU. And don't have any ATIs. I hate them. :|
uncle fuzzy

Post by uncle fuzzy »

That client uses the cpu and "wastes" a few cycles putting up the pretty pictures. It's a GUI client, not a GPU client.