Changing username with passkey

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Newbie1Kenobi

Changing username with passkey

Post by Newbie1Kenobi »

I am folding for someone who has had to shut down their machines for a while and I have a question. I'm running V6 of the Linux SMP client and I cannot seem to get rid of the passkey assigned to my username Newbie1Kenobi. Will this have any effect on the new user I am folding for? Can I edit some file to remove the passkey that is associated with my username? Thanks in advance!
uncle_fungus
Site Admin

Post by uncle_fungus »

If you really want to get rid of the passkey, just delete client.cfg and then reconfigure the client, omitting the passkey.
Newbie1Kenobi

Post by Newbie1Kenobi »

Could I also just edit the client.cfg, or do I need to delete it?
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Never manually edit the client.cfg file.

You have the option to keep using the same passkey with the new user name, or to request a new passkey for the new user name.

Passkeys are stored in the client.cfg, and you can update that info with the -config or -configonly switch.
Last edited by 7im on Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
uncle_fungus
Site Admin

Post by uncle_fungus »

Manually editing client.cfg can potentially result in you corrupting your configuration.
Newbie1Kenobi

Post by Newbie1Kenobi »

I just deleted it, like suggested. Thanks for the quick replies!
Adak

Post by Adak »

I'm doing something similar to Newbie1 - but on a larger scale, involving dozens of donors and hundreds of receivers.

If I change the name in client.cfg but leave the passkey the same, will the WU be credited to the folder in the name field, or to the passkey's owner?
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Adak wrote:I'm doing something similar to Newbie1 - but on a larger scale, involving dozens of donors and hundreds of receivers.

If I change the name in client.cfg but leave the passkey the same, will the WU be credited to the folder in the name field, or to the passkey's owner?
Yes.

Both.

The Passkey owner, is the email address you submitted when you requested a passkey. That passkey will get credit.

The user name will be the user name in the same client.cfg file as the Passkey. That user name will get credit also.

Passkeys and User Names have no relationship. They are independent of one another, which makes the original question somewhat unnecessary.
MoneyGuyBK

PassKey

Post by MoneyGuyBK »

If I may ask a Q re the "PassKey"

How does that help?.... do we get bonus points for it? and how do we check?

TIA

Peace
T.E.A.M. “Together Everyone Accomplishes Miracles!”
OC, S. California ... God Bless All
7im

Post by 7im »

Passkeys are a new unique identifier for the points system. It's features are not fully implimented yet.

What is known is here: http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-passkey

No bonus for using a passkey, but future bonuses will require the use of a passkey.