Suggested Changes to F@h Website

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

codysluder

Re: Suggested Changes to F@h Website

Post by codysluder »

GreyWhiskers wrote:re: project 7019 description page: This is a nit, but the picture overlaps the text (Internet Explorer 9 browser).
It looks fine in FIreFox and Opera but it's also wrong in IE 8.

Microsoft is probably going off on their own again rather than following the standards. [Whistles innocently . . ]
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Post by Jesse_V »

codysluder wrote:
GreyWhiskers wrote:re: project 7019 description page: This is a nit, but the picture overlaps the text (Internet Explorer 9 browser).
It looks fine in FIreFox and Opera but it's also wrong in IE 8.

Microsoft is probably going off on their own again rather than following the standards. [Whistles innocently . . ]
Works in Google Chrome v16.0.912.63m. IMHO, the only thing Internet Explorer is good for is downloading Google Chrome...

Besides, this is a bit off topic from the original purpose of this thread, since this isn't technically part of the folding.stanford.edu website. If we have problems with the descriptions, we need to contact the scientist responsible. My purpose in this thread is to suggest changes to the main website, like deadlink fixes, text updates, and other things. I've been doing so much F@h research and cross-checking that I've been finding website mistakes here and there that need correcting which I then post here and people like 7im respond one way or another. I'm REALLY hoping for a major site overhaul in line with v7's release, but we'll see what the PG has up their sleeve for that....
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

JonazzDJ wrote:Not really an error, but the diseases page hasn't been updated in over a year. It would be nice to know what progress has been made!
I asked Vijay about this during the summer months. V7 is the priority at the moment.

Note that I was able to get Dr Kasson to update a bit on this page last month about flu WUs.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator

Post by Jesse_V »

Thanks for your efforts there getting flu info on the diseases page. Have you looked at some of the past discussions/issues posted in this thread? There may have been some that you missed while you were away from the forum. Anyway, I wanted to point out that the link of Paper 49 does not work. I wasn't able to find it on Google Scholar just now so I can't provide you a quick replacement link. Perhaps your Google skills are superior to mine...
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Jesse_V wrote:Have you looked at some of the past discussions/issues posted in this thread?

Yes.
Jesse_V wrote:There may have been some that you missed while you were away from the forum.
No. I didn't read all 2500 new posts when I came back, but almost all of them. I miss very little, even when I've been gone for more than a month. Besides, Dr. Kasson and myself are not the only ones with access to update fah pages. ;)
Zagen30
Hardware configuration: Core i7 3770K @3.5 GHz (not folding), 8 GB DDR3 @2133 MHz, 2xGTX 780 @1215 MHz, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit running 7.3.6 w/ 1xSMP, 2xGPU

4P E5-4650 @3.1 GHz, 64 GB DDR3 @1333MHz, Ubuntu Desktop 13.10 64-bit

Post by Zagen30 »

On the new server status page, the description for column GP TYPE is "GP TYPE is set to 1 for ATI GPU servers and 2 for NVIDIA GPU servers," but some of the servers have a value of 3 there. Description needs an update.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator

Post by Jesse_V »

Good catch Zagen30! Also, I noticed that many of the internal page in the All Project Descriptions page (http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/allprojects) are broken. They don't go to the right spot. For example, near the top of the page, there's some links under the 100s category. Click on "100" and your taken to Projects bu_10641-10692, which is completely wrong. The "200" and "300" links all do exactly the same thing. I mean if that's the expected behavior there needs to be some indication of that, because it appears broken.
7im

Post by 7im »

Zagen30 wrote:On the new server status page, the description for column GP TYPE is "GP TYPE is set to 1 for ATI GPU servers and 2 for NVIDIA GPU servers," but some of the servers have a value of 3 there. Description needs an update.
As you likely deduced, value 3 is OpenMM. ;)
Amaruk

Post by Amaruk »

JonazzDJ wrote:Projects 7100-7158 don't have a decent project description (only the points, deadlines, server info etc.). I did some searching and appearantly dr. Kasson is managing these WU's so I'm guessing they are related to the flu/viral diseases.

http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/fah ... ned?p=7100
http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/fah ... ned?p=7158
Your guess is right, even though the reasoning is wrong. :wink:

From the links provided, Per Larsson (pela3247) is the manager.
Zagen30
Hardware configuration: Core i7 3770K @3.5 GHz (not folding), 8 GB DDR3 @2133 MHz, 2xGTX 780 @1215 MHz, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit running 7.3.6 w/ 1xSMP, 2xGPU

Post by Zagen30 »

Wait, nevermind, that was the old server status page. For some reason I thought the forum link had switched over to the new one.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator

Post by Jesse_V »

On the FAQ Index page (http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ) the "Google news archive of Folding@home press stories" link does not work as intended.

On a different issue but on the same page, I would also suggest that the core specifics (such as the number) should be removed from the page because I don't think most people really know what they mean or care. For example "Gromacs FAQ (cores 78, 79, 7a, 7b, 7c, 80, 81, a0, a1, a2, a3, a4, a5)" should be just "Gromacs FAQ" IMO. Is there a particular reason why those cores values are so explicitly listed there?
Jesse_V
Site Moderator

Post by Jesse_V »

On the Pande lab's research interests page: http://folding.stanford.edu/Pande/Projects there are a number of words that are separated by dashes that shouldn't be there because they're not doing line wrap. Examples: "challeng-ing", "fold-ing", "domi-nant", etc. Doing a page search for the dash character is probably the fastest way to identify them. On the same page, "celluar" is spelled wrong.
7im

Post by 7im »

Jesse_V wrote:On the FAQ Index page (http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ) the "Google news archive of Folding@home press stories" link does not work as intended.

On a different issue but on the same page, I would also suggest that the core specifics (such as the number) should be removed from the page because I don't think most people really know what they mean or care. For example "Gromacs FAQ (cores 78, 79, 7a, 7b, 7c, 80, 81, a0, a1, a2, a3, a4, a5)" should be just "Gromacs FAQ" IMO. Is there a particular reason why those cores values are so explicitly listed there?
Yes. FAH tries to cater to a wide variety of donors. And in that variety, people search for answers in different ways. For example, some might see a work unit with a fahcore called Gro-GPU2, and may not realize that is a Gromacs based work unit. So when they read about work units, some may find it easier to search for the fahcore number when looking for answers. Or at least, when they see the numbers, the light bulb turns on, and the association is more easily understood.

However, I can see where that list has grown to become a little unsightly over time. If you have a better suggestion, please make it. To paraphrase an old saying... when reporting a problem, also bring a solution. ;)
7im

Post by 7im »

Jesse_V wrote:On the Pande lab's research interests page: http://folding.stanford.edu/Pande/Projects there are a number of words that are separated by dashes that shouldn't be there because they're not doing line wrap. Examples: "challeng-ing", "fold-ing", "domi-nant", etc. Doing a page search for the dash character is probably the fastest way to identify them. On the same page, "celluar" is spelled wrong.
Fixed unnecessary word wrap hyphenation, and several spelling mistakes.
Zagen30

Post by Zagen30 »

7im wrote:If you have a better suggestion, please make it.
Reduce it to "(cores 7X, 80, 81, aX)"? That would assume that people know about using X to stand for any value in that digit, which may not be a good assumption. Considering the existence of core 7a, 7b, and 7c, it's not completely out there for someone to think there's a "core_7X" in use.

The passkey FAQ states that adding passkey support to the PS3 client is planned, but since the client hasn't been updated in years it's exceedingly unlikely that will ever happen. It should probably be removed to prevent anyone stumbling across it and coming here to ask if it's been implemented yet. Maybe state that it won't happen, to try to head off anyone coming here to suggest that it should be added.