fahcore priority

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

IngerAlHaosului

fahcore priority

Post by IngerAlHaosului »

I want to change the fahcore priority from "low" to "above normal", and i now how to do it manually using the task manager.
The problem i am having is that the priority resets to "low" every time the fahcore executable is executed (like when i re/start my computer), I want to know if there is a way to automate the task of setting process priority every time the software starts.
toTOW
Site Moderator

Re: fahcore priority

Post by toTOW »

In most situations, you don't have to bother about priorities ... ;)

Do you have a special need to do that ?

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
bruce

Post by bruce »

IngerAlHaosului wrote:I want to change the fahcore priority from "low" to "above normal", and i now how to do it manually using the task manager.
The problem i am having is that the priority resets to "low" every time the fahcore executable is executed (like when i re/start my computer), I want to know if there is a way to automate the task of setting process priority every time the software starts.
If you set it to above normal, you will succeed in making your computer nearly unresponsive and it won't make FAH run any faster. Don't do it.

Of course it can be automated if you write a program that makes the appropriate operating system calls.
alancabler

Post by alancabler »

Bruce wrote:If you set it to above normal, you will succeed in making your computer nearly unresponsive and it won't make FAH run any faster. Don't do it.
Au contraire.
If you are a bone- headed adventurer and must learn everything the hard way, go ahead and do it.
I'm sure you'll enjoy the challenge of trying to get your computer back after FAH takes control and runs it at 100%.
Don't ask me how I know this.
Facts are not truth. Facts are merely facets of the shining diamond of truth.
IngerAlHaosului

I beg to differ i know from experience that "real time" makes the computer unresponsive and that "high" can make the computer run like crap.And yes i know that "above normal" doesn't make the FAH run faster however "above normal" gives FAH dedicated processor time making sure that even if i am using 100% of my processor(idle process 0%) doing different things like gaming the FAH will get a significant shear(FAH will work even if there is no idle).Furthermore because it is "above normal"
and all the other applications are usually set to "normal" FAH will have priority over them.
P.S. Its set to "above normal" right now and my pc is running perfectly.
Galahad
Hardware configuration: Intel Core i7-920 @3350MHz
Foxconn Renaissance
3x2048 Samsung M378B5673FH0-CH9 @9-9-9-19
Gainward GTX470 1280M GDDR5 320B (was 1024MB DDR3 Gigabyte GV-N250OC-1GI)

E-MU 1212M
St-Lab A-400 PCI-E SATA RAID
TP-LINK TG-3468 Gigabit NIC
2xSamsung HD752LJ (RAID0)
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-H42N ATA
Thermaltake ToughPower 600W <W0103RE>

Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Post by Galahad »

Try "Process Master" from octopod.org, IMHO a "must have" for every folder@home.
I know the pieces fit
IngerAlHaosului

Galahad wrote:Try "Process Master" from octopod.org, IMHO a "must have" for every folder@home.
Finally a solution that works.TX