Client Downloads

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

RAH
Hardware configuration: 1. C2Q 8200@2880 / W7Pro64 / SMP2 / 2 GPU - GTS250/GTS450
2. C2D 6300@3600 / XPsp3 / SMP2 / 1 GPU - GT240

Client Downloads

Post by RAH »

Just in case no one has noticed.

All the windows downloads (except old 5.04) have disappeared.
Linux looks messed up too.

:eo
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Re: Client Downloads

Post by 7im »

Please look again, or check out the News. http://folding.typepad.com/news/2008/04 ... o-the.html

It's not messed up. ;)

Thanks.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
RAH
Hardware configuration: 1. C2Q 8200@2880 / W7Pro64 / SMP2 / 2 GPU - GTS250/GTS450

Post by RAH »

Well it might not be messed up.
But when you can't view the Linux install proceedure page, but what do you need it for I guess.

Folding Home experts page? :lol:

Cutting out all the X1XXX folders? :eo
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

RAH wrote:Well it might not be messed up.
But when you can't view the Linux install proceedure page, but what do you need it for I guess.

Folding Home experts page? :lol:

Cutting out all the X1XXX folders? :eo
Please be more specific. The link I just clicked is working. What link is broken? It will get fixed quicker.
v00d00
Hardware configuration: FX8320e (6 cores enabled) @ stock,
- 16GB DDR3,
- Zotac GTX 1050Ti @ Stock.
- Gigabyte GTX 970 @ Stock
Debian 9.

Running GPU since it came out, CPU since client version 3.
Folding since Folding began (~2000) and ran Genome@Home for a while too.
Ran Seti@Home prior to that.

Post by v00d00 »

I think the OP is referring to the fact that the GPU1 client is no longer listed as an available download.

Has Pandegroup ceased to support GPU1 now that GPU2 is out? Is GPU2 compatible with older 19xx series ATI cards?

And RAH, if you didnt speak in so many riddles and just stated the facts without blistering amounts of bs, there wouldnt be any need to translate your mumblings. Do i really need to instruct you on how to create a good post, using decent syntax and spelling.

PS. The use of certain smileys just make the poster look retarded. Bear that in mind when posting.
PPS. If you were drunk when you posted, you're forgiven. Dont do it again.
Last edited by v00d00 on Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
7im

Post by 7im »

v00d00 wrote:I think the OP is referring to the fact that the GPU1 client is no longer listed as an available download.

Has Pandegroup ceased to support GPU1 now that GPU2 is out? Is GPU2 compatible with older 19xx series ATI cards?
7im wrote:Please look again, or check out the News. http://folding.typepad.com/news/2008/04 ... o-the.html

It's not messed up. ;)

Thanks.
v00d00
- 16GB DDR3,
Debian 9.

Post by v00d00 »

[edited to remove pointless blurb]
We've made several changes to the download page. First and foremost, we've tried to simplify it a bit for donors new to FAH by moving the high performance Windows downloads to their own page. The goal is to try to simplify the long list of possible clients new donors see. For those who are already experts at FAH, they will notice the high performance client link on the download page (although it may be nice to highlight that a bit more).

We have also updated the GPU client on the download page, with GPU client downloads pointing to GPU2 rather than GPU1. This is a major step forward for FAH, as we move to our second generation GPU client ("GPU2"). It's also an important time to note the contributions of the GPU1 client: we've been able to learn a great deal of running GPU's "in the wild," which is very different than in the lab, and what we've learned has gone into GPU2. GPU2 is much easier to run, more reliable scientifically, and has more advanced algorithms. Due to these differences, GPU1 has become obsolete. However, we are working to write a paper with what we've learned from GPU1 and acquiring data for that paper will need some more GPU1 cycles.

Thus, we will continue the GPU1 projects for a little while longer (likely a month or so), while we encourage people to transition to GPU2. We would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has run the GPU1 client and given us such useful data to advance to the second generation client.
So far, the GPU2 client has become a success, with many more people running it than GPU1, in just two days. We are also working to improve the performance of GPU2 and one should expect to see core updates on a regular basis as we improve the software. Finally, we are also considering points modifications to make sure that the compensation is reasonable.
So are old ATI cards still supported by the new client, or are they obsolete also?
Last edited by v00d00 on Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
7im

Post by 7im »

True, the wording does all run together at times. They were in desperate need of a better way to distinguish the many client types and OS combinations. Hope the page move helps more than it confuses.

I take it to mean the GPU1 clients will be gradually phased out. GPU2 client will replace them scientifically. GPU2 client will not run on 1xxx series of cards before the GPU1 client is phased out (if ever?). I don't know any more detail than that.
v00d00
- 16GB DDR3,
Debian 9.

Post by v00d00 »

I agree with High Performance page. Seperation is better.

Also:
Windows: V6 Beta SMP clients

Windows XP/2003/Vista/2008 SMP client console version 5.91 beta6

Windows XP/2003/Vista/2008 SMP client console version 5.92 beta upgrade from 5.91
They really need to rename that client to V6 or the title to V5, but please do one or the other, not both.
anandhanju

Post by anandhanju »

Another (minor) suggestion: Is it really necessary to mention v6 and SMP capabilities in the Linux 5.04 help page http://folding.stanford.edu/English/LinConsoleInstall ? The relevant info (v6/SMP) is in the help page alongside the v6 client.
7im

Post by 7im »

v00d00 wrote:...

They really need to rename that client to V6 or the title to V5, but please do one or the other, not both.
Done. v5
RAH

Post by RAH »

Geez. The linux install. You know, the question mark, next to the client download.
There is nothing there, but FAQ pages. Make it simple !

In V. Pandes own words, the X1XXX client is on its death bed.
"we will continue the GPU1 projects for a little while longer (likely a month or so)"
Is the new pages in line with this too. Other things going bye bye?
7im

Post by 7im »

RAH wrote:Geez. The linux install. You know, the question mark, next to the client download.
There is nothing there, but FAQ pages. Make it simple !
Geez. Did you READ any of the FAQ pages there? Do they contain any Linux install info?

RAH wrote:
In V. Pandes own words, the X1XXX client is on its death bed.
"we will continue the GPU1 projects for a little while longer (likely a month or so)"
Is the new pages in line with this too. Other things going bye bye?
Try reading the NEWS instead of just skimming it. You don't seem to be getting the message Vijay is sending. I don't think Vijay used the terms "death bed" so those are NOT his own words. However, phased-out gradually is probably a more correct usage. Nothing else was mentioned as going "bye bye" so NO, nothing else is going away. As Vijay said, the page change was to remove some of the clutter to make the download page less intimidating for new users, and to give conspiracy theorists more fodder. ;)
RAH

Post by RAH »

Yes, new folders.
When they have problems, they come and post. They don't read, to see if the question has already been ask.
So now they are just to click their way to an install instructions page. "Read"
Right.

OK. No problem. Already sent people their, and they came back, I can't find it.
Why link, link, link. Put the instructions where the DL and its easiest to find.
For the newbies.
anandhanju

Post by anandhanju »

Can the YouTube link on the Win console page (http://folding.stanford.edu/English/WinConsoleInstall) be moved to the GUI client HowTo page?