Overall F@H Stats Graph?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

VijayPande
Pande Group Member

Re: Overall F@H Stats Graph?

Post by VijayPande »

PS We also now are keeping better track of the Fermi (and later) class of NV GPUs. We were under-reporting their FLOP count and that alone was what make a huge difference in the FLOPs reported.
Prof. Vijay Pande, PhD
Departments of Chemistry, Structural Biology, and Computer Science
Chair, Biophysics
Director, Folding@home Distributed Computing Project
Stanford University
mdk777

Post by mdk777 »

Glad to hear it is resolved.
Transparency and Accountability, the necessary foundation of any great endeavor!
VijayPande
Pande Group Member

Post by VijayPande »

PS blog post up
Prof. Vijay Pande, PhD
Departments of Chemistry, Structural Biology, and Computer Science
Chair, Biophysics
Director, Folding@home Distributed Computing Project
Stanford University
Risme
Hardware configuration: Enclosure:Antec P180
PSU: Seasonic S12 430W
Motherboard: Asus P5B Deluxe
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 @ 2.13Ghz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce 7600GT with Forceware 94.24 drivers
Memory: G.Skill F2-6400CL4D-2GBHK @ 800Mhz 4-4-3-5 2.1V
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-U12F
Enclosure cooling: 3 casefans + Noctua NF-S12 1200 on front panel

Post by Risme »

I updated the google spreadsheet, here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... sp=sharing I assumed that OS-X PowerPC is now finally EOL. Folding@Home computing power is increasing nicely. There's only 3 supercomputers on top500.org list that are capable of over 10 petaflops of sustained computing power.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Post by Jesse_V »

Risme wrote:I updated the google spreadsheet, here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... sp=sharing I assumed that OS-X PowerPC is now finally EOL. Folding@Home computing power is increasing nicely. There's only 3 supercomputers on top500.org list that are capable of over 10 petaflops of sustained computing power.
Thanks. To continue your comparison, all of BOINC is at 8.697 petaFLOPS: http://boincstats.com/en/stats/-1/project/detail

Edit: looks like the blog post has been changed and no longer compares F@h to the other supercomputers.
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
Rattledagger

Post by Rattledagger »

Jesse_V wrote:Thanks. To continue your comparison, all of BOINC is at 8.697 petaFLOPS: http://boincstats.com/en/stats/-1/project/detail
The problem with looking on BoincStats is, if you example looks on Einstein@home they've got roughly 490 GFLOPS according to BoincStats. But, if you looks on Einstein@home's own stats-pages (and even going by news-post on the front-page), Einstein@home has roughly 980 TFLOPS.

Meaning, BoincStats reports 1/2 of what Einstein@home themselves reports and my guess is Einstein@home knows better how many FLOPS their application really produces.

If it's similar disrepancies with the other projects, BOINC is sitting nicely at roughly 17 PetaFLOPS.

If you're also going to make a "similar to 32-bit floating-point-operations on an i386-computer" like Folding@home is doing to come-up with their 12 PetaFLOPS-number, under BOINC you'll example need to multiply Milkyway@home's numbers with 8, 1st. the 2x disrepancy similar to Einstein@home, and when atleast 4x due to Milkyway demands double-precision GPU and Amd-cards has roughly 1/4 the double-precision compared to single-precision. For the Nvidia-cards you'll need to multiply with an even higher factor... If you do this, Milkyway alone has over 5 PetaFLOPS, while BoincStats reports "only" 642 TFLOPS.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator

Post by Jesse_V »

Thanks Risto keeping the new chart updated. I made my own chart, appended your data to the old set, and then pulled in some supercomputer performance information from the Top500.org lists.
This was the result: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... Powers.png
I think the results are interesting, and I wonder how our numbers will change from here. We lost the first place position back in April 2011, come on, let's take it back! :D
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Have no fear, R2 is here, JIT is near, a new Cloud may appear.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
bruce

Post by bruce »

As I'm sure you know FLOPS is not a well-defined measurement. Are DP operations and SP operations both a single operation? If the hardware can perform SQRT in a single operation, is that one operation or does it represent the equivalent of many x86 operations required to calculate the same value? Suppose some project (say Einstein@home, but it could be any) were able to re-code their software to achieve their computational objectives using Single Precision instead of Double Precision, they'd get much more work done due to the limitations of DP on current GPUs. Would that be an advantage or a disadvantage?

[Insert a well-known joke about the role of accountants in annual business reports here]
Jesse_V
Site Moderator

Post by Jesse_V »

You're right, there are problems here. One of them is that LINPACK isn't a realistic benchmark from what I've read. It scales very well to all available cores, does relatively simple mathematics, and isn't IO bound. Real-world programs may have all of these problems, or only some of them, depending on the problem at hand. Here, I simply reported the x86 FLOPS for FAH. For CPUs, native FLOPS is x86 FLOPS, but GPUs are a different story and we need to convert to an x86 equivalent so more accurate (not perfect) comparisons can be made. I'm not entirely certain how double-precision would change things, though despite the problems with FLOPS, I think this is about as accurate as one can get. FLOPS might not be the best measurement, but they certainly are widely-accepted and are relatively easy to understand.
dharmaturtle

Post by dharmaturtle »

I updated the googledoc with today's stats in a brand new worksheet for 2016 (duplicated from 2014). I'm not sure how Participation and Efficiency are calculated, so I left those blank.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =156098615
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Post by foldy »

Nice! How do you fill the table with data, is it automatically? I only see data for 09/08/2016.

Looks like PARTICIPATION shows
Active CPUs = Windows+MacOS+Linux
Active GPUs = ATI GPU+NVIDIA GPU+NVIDIA Fermi GPU

Looks like EFFICIENCY shows
x86 GFLOPS/Active processor = Total x86 TFLOPS / Total Active CPUs

I think the Efficiency would be more interesting if we had different entries for CPUs and GPUs like at participation.

Is my description understandable or should I put examples?
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Post by foldy »

I put a request on reddit how to access the "Client statistics by OS" as excel sheet to generate a graph over time
https://www.reddit.com/r/foldingathome/ ... _as_graph/
FAMAS

Post by FAMAS »

7im wrote:Have no fear, R2 is here, JIT is near, a new Cloud may appear.
what are R2 and JIT?
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

bruce wrote:
7im wrote:Have no fear, R2 is here, JIT is near, a new Cloud may appear.
You got a recent response and you should be the one to explain what you said.
The memory brain cells for that are just as dead as this thread was. 3 years, really?

Probably about the same time as the new Star Wars movie was announced. There was talk of Just In Time core compiling to take advantage if certain processor features across various hardware types (never happened, but we see AVX support coming now). And cloud likely refered to the streaming client mentioned in the blog.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.