Overall F@H Stats Graph?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

screen317

Overall F@H Stats Graph?

Post by screen317 »

Hello everyone!

On the Wikipedia page for F@H there is a graph showing overall statistics for (I imagine global) F@H usage, but it stops at 2007. Is there a more up to date graphic? If not, I'm curious as to whether or not it would be possible to have one that updates itself on some sort of time basis?

Regards,

Chris

Edit: There is now a chart to plot this data!! Anyone can now edit my stats page to help:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... pY1E#gid=0

Please ask if you have any questions. Historical data is of primary interest since I'm updating it (nearly) daily with current data.
Last edited by screen317 on Thu May 17, 2012 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Re: Overall F@H Stats Graph?

Post by Jesse_V »

That image simply serves to illustrate the participation spike when the PS3 client was launched.

AFAIK, the closest you're going to get is http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegrou ... Us2010.png and then of course there's kakostats and other third-party stats reporting websites.

Glad you're checking out the article though. :D
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
screen317

Post by screen317 »

Thanks for the reply Jesse.

Would you or anyone know if the data is at least available? I could help put something together graphically if there was a way to access that sort of data over time.
bruce

Post by bruce »

If you're willing to start collecting the data yourself, you can try
http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/mai ... pe=osstats
screen317

Post by screen317 »

Cool, thanks bruce. I'll start a spreadsheet, collecting data from there. Do you know how often that updates? It says last updated today, so I think I'll collect data around the same time every day. :)

Will post back after about a week!

Question: the page isn't too clear about this: what is the difference between the Native TFLOPS and the x86 TFLOPS column?
bruce

Post by bruce »

screen317 wrote:Question: the page isn't too clear about this: what is the difference between the Native TFLOPS and the x86 TFLOPS column?
http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-flops
screen317

Post by screen317 »

This is the part I don't quite understand:
What are native FLOPS?

We refer to the FLOP count on a given hardware as the native FLOP count. For example, an exponential on a GPU is one native GPU FLOP but many native x86 FLOPS.

What does "...count on a given hardware" mean? That's the only part that's confusing. No idea what "an exponential on a CPU" means.

Edit: Here's how the spreadsheet looks! Will be able to start constructing the graph tomorrow. Suggestions are always welcome.
Adding to it will be easy now that the structure is laid out.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Computer code consists of instructions that perform specific operations like add/subtract/multiply/divide and there's a different set of instructions for integer numbers and for floating point numbers, etc. The CPU hardware has a circuit that can perform each of these operations with a single instruction.

There are more complex operations that are used less frequently like square root or sine, cosine, exponential, etc. If these functions are done very rarely, they can be done with a subprogram made up of a number of more basic operations. (The hardware is cheaper but it will run slower if you use those functions.) If the function is done frequently enough, the hardware designer can speed up the program by providing a extra hardware circuit that performs the entire calculation with a single instruction.

On one computer chip, you may need to perform 50 FLOPS to find a square root. On another computer chip, the same calculation might take one FLOP. Which way of counting FLOPS is correct?
screen317

Post by screen317 »

Thanks bruce. I understand it better now.

Here's something else that perplexes me. Two days ago the Native TFLOPS (total) and x86 TFLOPS were 5091 and 7252 respectively; today they are 5074 and 7209 respectively. How does that make sense?
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Post by Jesse_V »

screen317 wrote:Here's something else that perplexes me. Two days ago the Native TFLOPS (total) and x86 TFLOPS were 5091 and 7252 respectively; today they are 5074 and 7209 respectively. How does that make sense?
I don't see anything strange here. Participation waxes and wanes, and people add/remove hardware or reconfigure their systems over time. I've heard that participation picks up in the winter months, but seems to ebb a little bit during the summer. You can see from that page that GPU and PS3 folding adds far more to the x86 FLOPS than they do the Native FLOPS, so that affects those numbers as well. Like stocks, such fluctuation is normal, but they really should always be going up. :D
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
iceman1992

Post by iceman1992 »

bruce wrote:On one computer chip, you may need to perform 50 FLOPS to find a square root. On another computer chip, the same calculation might take one FLOP. Which way of counting FLOPS is correct?
This is a bit off-topic, but since the whole fah project is often compared to the fastest supercomputers, what type of FLOPS count do they use to measure the supercomputers (like in the top500.org website)?
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Seriously? Skim a few sentences on top500.org website. http://top500.org/project/introduction You'll quickly find...
In the present list (which we call the TOP500), we list computers ranked by their performance on the LINPACK Benchmark
Oh, that's an original list name. :lol:
Last edited by 7im on Tue May 08, 2012 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
iceman1992

Post by iceman1992 »

the computer system must be able to be used to solve a range of scientific problems
That doesn't imply that they run FAH though ;)
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

And it doesn't imply that that don't run FAH. ;)

If you want apples to apples, run the Linpack test on a computer similar to the fah benchmark computer. Then multiply by the active number of fah clients. Not accurate, but a close enough rough estimate to make it interesting...
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
iceman1992

Post by iceman1992 »

7im wrote:If you want apples to apples, run the Linpack test on a computer similar to the fah benchmark computer.
I have no idea how to run linpack on a GPU. As some supercomputers use GPUs too (I recall one using HD4870s)