Folding movies

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Mikhail M

Folding movies

Post by Mikhail M »

Is there any tool for storing video during the calculation? I think it would be nice to see the folding process 100x or 10000x faster than during the calculation?
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Re: Folding movies

Post by 7im »

Hello Mikhail M, welcome to the forum.

If there is one, it would be listed in the 3rd Party Software, Tools section. I don't recall one...
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Post by Jesse_V »

The closest I've ever seen is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFcp2Xpd29I but that's a rendering of a folding pathway after all the WUs are collected.
V7's FAHViewer has yet to show a non-demo protein to most people, but they're working on that.
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Fahviewer works great with the fahcore_78, but all the other fahcores need an update to show the actual protein data.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
iceman1992

Post by iceman1992 »

What about using a screen/window recorder to record the fahviewer window?
codysluder

Post by codysluder »

iceman1992 wrote:What about using a screen/window recorder to record the fahviewer window?
That would be nice if FAHViewer actually worked on the WU we're folding. We have to wait for that to happen unless you happen to have a PS3.

The real disadvantage is that each WU is only a small part of a trajectory. We would need to concatenate Gen 0, Gen 1, Gen 2, ....up to however many Gens are simulated to get the rest of the movie. Some of the movies included with the technical papers incorporate many years worth of folding by hundreds of people before there's enough movie to be scientifically interesting.
Mikhail M

Post by Mikhail M »

Ok then, I will try to develop a tool for writing/playing of such movies just for fun. It's a pity that it will not provide any sensible results, but at least...

Actually it already works with Folding@Home-GPU 6.41. I have found some FaH Viewer's source code and have modified it. Atoms coordinates are stored so you may rotate and zoom the model during playback. This is very nice. It looks as if some compression is necessary because one minute of video may take 100 MB now. I haven't found suitable file format so I will try to invent something.

I was unable to connect to the latest 7-th version nor find suitable sources. Is it possible to get them anywhere?
Mikhail M

Post by Mikhail M »

Please try my program that can write and play folding movies. You may download it from http://refplane.com/folding/Viewer.exe. I have optimized data storage format a bit, but a real compression still awaits.

For the GUI commands listing press ‘H’. In order to start you don’t need to specify anything in the command line. But some options are only available through the command:

Code: Select all

Viewer.exe <file to play>: the specified file will be played when you press <P>,
  or
  Viewer.exe [<options>]
Options:
  -play <file name>: the specified file will be played when you press <P>,
  -address <URL>: Folding@Home client's address from which to download the current data. Localhost by default,
  -port <port number>: Folding@Home client's port. 61469 by default
  -writeFreq <iterations count>: approximately every N-th iteration's result will be written to file when you press <W>. 5000 by default. If you have a fast machine (GeForce GTX 580 for example), you may set –writeFreq say to 50000.
You may download a couple of sample videos from
http://refplane.com/folding/video/1982_2.fhm,
http://refplane.com/folding/video/1982_4.fhm.

For every file above there is .zip version. I didn’t test the program on ATI videocards. On an intel graphic card it crashes as well as the source Viewer.
compdewd
Hardware configuration: [1] Debian 8 64-bit: EVGA NVIDIA GTX 650 Ti, MSI NVIDIA GTX 460, AMD FX-8120
[2] Windows 7 64-bit: MSI NVIDIA GTX 460, AMD Phenom II X4

Post by compdewd »

I ran it, but I don't think I quite understand what it is or should be doing. Currently it seems to be showing a predefined molecule, but is counting frames as if it were loading still even though it appears to be already fully loaded. Same for the supplied sample videos. If it is loading more of the molecule, the ETA of 7 hours it shows isn't very appealing and I don't feel like slowing my currently folding WU down by running the viewer for 7 hours. Also I don't have v6 of the client to test if it works for me or not in that regard and plus I don't even know how I would do that.

Looks like a lot more work to get this to where you want it. I think this may be something the FAH developers have the best shot at doing though
Mikhail M

Post by Mikhail M »

compdewd, if you see something like this

the program cannot connect to the Folding@Home calculation process and to get the current data. This is what I saw with version 7. But if you specify the file in the command line (viewer.exe c:\downloads\1982_2.fhm) and press 'P', you should be able to see molecule that moves relatively fast. And the "Playback" inscription.

... I haven't implemented printing of the extended information on ATI videocards... I will better give such opportunity to somebody else :)
compdewd
Hardware configuration: [1] Debian 8 64-bit: EVGA NVIDIA GTX 650 Ti, MSI NVIDIA GTX 460, AMD FX-8120

Post by compdewd »

Ahh I see now! Thank you for the explanation
Mikhail M

Post by Mikhail M »

One more movie :) : http://refplane.com/folding/video/1982_21.fhm (or http://refplane.com/folding/video/1982_21.zip). Each frame in it corresponds to 5000 iterations. In the previous movies - 500 iterations.

What is interesting, is that this movie doesn't differ considerably. Each frame was calculated by averaging many states so termal-motion is mainly filtered out. And nothing serious has happened during the calculated time interval.

Publish your movies, let's collect a set of them. If you do not have file hosting, you may send movie to me, I have a bit of space on a server (refplane at mail.ru).
Last edited by Mikhail M on Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
compdewd

Post by compdewd »

Since they are all .fhm extensions, how do we go about making these movies? If I were to send you something, what would I send?
Mikhail M

Post by Mikhail M »

The video is saved in this fhm custom format. When you press W in the Viewer, a new Folding....fhm file is created in the current folder (where you started Viewer from) and is appended during calculation. So if you send me new .fhm files, everybody who would download them will be able to see your movie.

One trick: when frames count is multiple of 8 you can copy .fhm file. And for example open it in the second instance of the Viewer. You will not need to stop writing in the first one.
Mikhail M

Post by Mikhail M »

I have created a small site about the program :) http://www.refplane.com/folding