Estimates of Dual Cores to Quad Cores

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

socceronly wrote: But should I run the SMP on my dual-core laptop?
This may seem counterintuitive, but yes, the project says it is accpetable to run the SMP client if you only have a dual core system.

It's not so much a question to fold, or not to fold, it's a question of following the project recommendations, or not following the recommendations. To turn in WUs as fast as your are capable, or to turn in WUs just fast enough to meet the deadlines while increasing your Points production.

It's a fine line, but a distinct line in the eyes of the project.
7up1n3

Post by 7up1n3 »

socceronly wrote:LOL! Ok.

1 Q6600 = 1 SMP Client. This is what is wanted?

But should I run the SMP on my dual-core laptop? (or any dual-core machine?)
That seems to be one of the questions here, although perhaps less of one as quad core becomes more prevalent. When the SMP client was released, very few people had quad core processors, so nearly all of the people beta testing SMP were doing so with dual core hardware. I suspect that continues to be the case.

From a testing perspective, I'd assume that a higher number of testers is preferable. And perhaps that's just it. If you have the 'recommended' hardware, the request is to use it as intended (if you have a quad, please use the one core per thread recommendation). But I'm not certain that its also being said to please not use dual core processors for SMP Folding IF you're able to do so and still meet the preferred deadlines.

EDIT: looks like 7im beat me to the punch, and was more succinct to boot. :p
Rage3D Admin ~ The Fighting 300 ~ Team Rage3D Folding
socceronly

Post by socceronly »

I quit running the SMP on my lappie because it didn't like being turned off and on all the time.

When I was at work and just left it on, it completed WU's just fine within deadlines.

I will have the Quad reconfigured back to a single SMP client.

Thanks
JM
7up1n3

Post by 7up1n3 »

socceronly wrote:I quit running the SMP on my lappie because it didn't like being turned off and on all the time.
If your laptop has the proper specs, you might consider running LinuxSMP in VM to address the stability issues. But if you're turning it off frequently, make sure that you're still making the preferred deadlines. Otherwise, you're better off running standard clients on that machine.
etchells

so is two instances of the single cpu code better

Post by etchells »

7up1n3; so is two instances of the single core code running in a dual core cpu better than running the smp code in a dual core cpu? i'm running the smp in my AMD oced 4800+, seems to run well, but, the chatter back and forth here leads me to believe I should reconsider. advice please.
AMD 4800+ OCed to 2.8, 2xRaptors in Raid 0, Swiftech 3x120 water// HP Core Duo Laptop 2.0// PS3
bruce

Post by bruce »

socceronly wrote:I quit running the SMP on my lappie because it didn't like being turned off and on all the time.

When I was at work and just left it on, it completed WU's just fine within deadlines.
I like to look at it differently. You quit running the Beta client on your laptop because it didn't like being turned off and on all the time. It may be a semantic difference, but it's an important one.

You should seriously consider running the released client on your laptop. It's a lot more robust and the deadlines are a lot more forgiving. (If it's a duallie, you might want to read about running two clients.) Your points will be lower, but you won't be repeating work because the bugs in the Beta client dumped your work. ...and all donations are appreciated.

Keep an eye on future developments. We all know that eventually the SMP client will be released. We don't know when that will be or what will change by then. It will certainly be more robust and my guess is that it will be be more suited for a wider variety of hardware. You'll probably know whether it does make sense to switch back to the SMP client then or not.
bruce

Re: so is two instances of the single cpu code better

Post by bruce »

etchells wrote:7up1n3; so is two instances of the single core code running in a dual core cpu better than running the smp code in a dual core cpu? i'm running the smp in my AMD oced 4800+, seems to run well, but, the chatter back and forth here leads me to believe I should reconsider. advice please.
The SMP Beta was specifically designed to accomodate a 4-core machine but in order to get enough people testing, the requirements were specifically relaxed to allow it to run on most dual-core cpus. As long as it runs well for you, keep doing it.

This was answered in the second and third post on the previous page of this thread.
socceronly

Post by socceronly »

bruce wrote:

I like to look at it differently. You quit running the Beta client on your laptop because it didn't like being turned off and on all the time. It may be a semantic difference, but it's an important one.

You should seriously consider running the released client on your laptop. It's a lot more robust and the deadlines are a lot more forgiving. (If it's a duallie, you might want to read about running two clients.) Your points will be lower, but you won't be repeating work because the bugs in the Beta client dumped your work. ...and all donations are appreciated.

Keep an eye on future developments. We all know that eventually the SMP client will be released. We don't know when that will be or what will change by then. It will certainly be more robust and my guess is that it will be be more suited for a wider variety of hardware. You'll probably know whether it does make sense to switch back to the SMP client then or not.
I am running the standard release client on my laptop.

I tried the SMP and it wasn't working out. I have subsequently learned that there are graceful ways apparently to shut it down. I will keep track and look for an SMP release client.

Till then it is churning away on whatever the standard client feeds it.
7up1n3

Post by 7up1n3 »

socceronly wrote:I am running the standard release client on my laptop.

I tried the SMP and it wasn't working out. I have subsequently learned that there are graceful ways apparently to shut it down. I will keep track and look for an SMP release client.

The Linux SMP client, while also in beta, is rock stable compared to the Windows SMP client. So if stability is the only thing keeping you from running SMP on that laptop, and you have the hardware specs to allow Linux SMP Folding in VMware, I'd certainly give it a shot. I do the same on one of my laptops (T7200 w/ 2GB DDR2-6400) and the production is virtually identical to what I obtained via WinSMP, the difference being that it now handles the stop/start cycling that comes w/ being a laptop.
socceronly

Post by socceronly »

7up1n3 wrote:
socceronly wrote:I am running the standard release client on my laptop.

The Linux SMP client, while also in beta, is rock stable compared to the Windows SMP client. So if stability is the only thing keeping you from running SMP on that laptop, and you have the hardware specs to allow Linux SMP Folding in VMware, I'd certainly give it a shot. I do the same on one of my laptops (T7200 w/ 2GB DDR2-6400) and the production is virtually identical to what I obtained via WinSMP, the difference being that it now handles the stop/start cycling that comes w/ being a laptop.

Interesting. I will have to explore that. Of course first I have figure out what it even is....