Folding@Home Benchmark 1.2.0 (GUI)

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

art_l_j_PlanetAMD64

Re: Folding@Home Benchmark Beta Testing

Post by art_l_j_PlanetAMD64 »

bruce wrote:According to popular opinion, drivers 310.90 provide better FAH stability than previous versions so I have been running on them.
Not according to many of the posts on the NVidia Forums "Popular Topics" here and 38 pages of feedback on 310.70/310.90 drivers here.
From page 38:
Deadlockk wrote:I updated from the consumer preview to regular to Windows 8 saturday.
Running on a Geforce GTX 470.
After installing the 310.90 driver, my PC no longer boots. The windows loading icon is shown and then the screen flickers in tints of black.
I had the same result with the 310.70.
And there are 37 more pages with comments just like that. Some people swear by 310.90, and other people swear at it. It's just the luck of the draw.
bruce wrote:NOTE: Installing 310.90 graphics drivers includes something called NVidia Update which probably revises some of the supporting .dlls that TOOLKIT delivered.
No, it is an update service that periodically checks for updates from NVidia's website. A popup will notify you when updates are available.
NVIDIA Update
What is NVIDIA Update?
NVIDIA Update keeps your PC up-to-date with the latest NVIDIA drivers by notifying you when a new driver is available and directing you to the driver on http://www.nvidia.com.
Last edited by art_l_j_PlanetAMD64 on Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
art_l_j_PlanetAMD64
Over 1.04 Billion Total Points
Over 185,000 Work Units
Over 3,800,000 PPD
Overall rank (if points are combined) 20 of 1721690
In memory of my Mother May 12th 1923 - February 10th 2012
proteneer
Pande Group Member

Re: Folding@Home Benchmark Beta (0.4 Latest)

Post by proteneer »

PinHead wrote:Is the -platform OpenCL platformId independant? Can I run -deviceId 0,1 -platform OpenCL on a system with 1 AMD and 1 NVidia?

I get:
Explicit:
17.6456 ns/day

Implicit not supported on multiple devices.

AMD/NVidia
Win 7 64
FAHBench 0_4

I also get a no platformId specified.
Oddly enough, looks like you can :P
He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how

www.proteneer.com
proteneer
Pande Group Member

Post by proteneer »

Spongebob25 wrote:OpenCL works fine but now I'm back to having an error running cuda.--OpenMMCUDA.dll:126. I have the tool kit installed and VS.
Which version of CUDA and VS are you using? Must be CUDA 5.0 and VS 2008

www.proteneer.com
Napoleon
Hardware configuration: Atom330 (overclocked):
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Intel Atom330 dualcore (4 HyperThreads)
NVidia GT430, core_15 work
2x2GB Kingston KVR1333D3N9K2/4G 1333MHz memory kit
Asus AT3IONT-I Deluxe motherboard

Post by Napoleon »

art_l_j_PlanetAMD64 wrote:Some people swear by 310.90, and other people swear at it. It's just the luck of the draw.
OR: all the drastic changes are done for 600's / Kepler architecture. Changes, if any, related to 500 and especially 400 series Fermi GPUs probably are much more conservative.
Win7 64bit, FAH v7, OC'd
2C/4T Atom330 3x667MHz - GT430 2x832.5MHz - ION iGPU 3x466.7MHz
NaCl - Core_15 - display
PinHead
Hardware configuration: Quad Q9550 2.83 contains the GPU 57xx - running SMP and GPU
Quad Q6700 2.66 running just SMP
2P 32core Interlagos SMP on linux

Post by PinHead »

FAHBench

Is something supposed to be written to the logFile.txt file? Mine always shows zero bytes.
Spongebob25
Hardware configuration: Asus z490
i7 11700k
32 GB Gskill ram
Evga 2080 XC Black
1 TB Samsung 980 SSD

Post by Spongebob25 »

proteneer wrote:
Spongebob25 wrote:OpenCL works fine but now I'm back to having an error running cuda.--OpenMMCUDA.dll:126. I have the tool kit installed and VS.
Yes, CUDA 5.0 and VS2008 are installed.
proteneer
Pande Group Member

Post by proteneer »

Spongebob25 wrote:
proteneer wrote:
Yes, CUDA 5.0 and VS2008 are installed.
Can you run http://www.dependencywalker.com/ on OpenMMCUDA.dll?

www.proteneer.com
Evil Penguin

Post by Evil Penguin »

Just curious...
But will there be an option to benchmark different projects later on?

I wouldn't mind seeing how P6903 works on a GPU (2,533,797 atoms). :P
bruce

Post by bruce »

SolidSteel144 wrote:But will there be an option to benchmark different projects later on?
Probably not. The goal of FAHBench is to compare hardware using some kind of a standard. Tom's Hardware (or your favorite hardware review site) can't get consistent numbers for FAH because they have not had access to a predefined test. Stanford can also use it to compare the results of FahCore code optimization.

WUs from various projects are already benchmarked by Stanford for comparison with other projects to establish the Points. They use standard hardware.

A standard protein across variable hardware is one thing. Standard hardware across variable proteins is another. Variable proteins with variable hardware would produce a lot more data but there really is no way to use all that information.
proteneer
Pande Group Member

Post by proteneer »

With the new core you can pretty much rip out the .xml files and just replace files used in the benchmark out.

So yes, you can benchmark new projects (though there is some minor work on your end). Although as a FAH User, you probably won't notice too much difference, but everything underneath is being completely restructured.

www.proteneer.com
Zagen30
Hardware configuration: Core i7 3770K @3.5 GHz (not folding), 8 GB DDR3 @2133 MHz, 2xGTX 780 @1215 MHz, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit running 7.3.6 w/ 1xSMP, 2xGPU

4P E5-4650 @3.1 GHz, 64 GB DDR3 @1333MHz, Ubuntu Desktop 13.10 64-bit

Post by Zagen30 »

So, as it turns out, I had not in fact downloaded the beta Intel drivers when I was testing the HD4000. They're not the easiest thing to find, and later-versioned releases do not appear to include certain things, like OpenCL 1.2 for the GPU. I managed to find the beta drivers, which are version 9.17.10.2885, and install them. display-devices now outputs:

Code: Select all

[2] compatible platform(s):
  -- 0 --
  PROFILE = FULL_PROFILE
  VERSION = OpenCL 1.2
  NAME = Intel(R) OpenCL
  VENDOR = Intel(R) Corporation
  -- 1 --
  PROFILE = FULL_PROFILE
  VERSION = OpenCL 1.1 CUDA 4.2.1
  NAME = NVIDIA CUDA
  VENDOR = NVIDIA Corporation

(1) device(s) found on platform 0:
  -- 0 --
  DEVICE_NAME = Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
  DEVICE_VENDOR = Intel(R) Corporation
  DEVICE_VERSION = OpenCL 1.2

(2) device(s) found on platform 1:
  -- 0 --
  DEVICE_NAME = GeForce GTX 460
  DEVICE_VENDOR = NVIDIA Corporation
  DEVICE_VERSION = OpenCL 1.1 CUDA

-- 1 --
  DEVICE_NAME = GeForce GTX 460
  DEVICE_VENDOR = NVIDIA Corporation
  DEVICE_VERSION = OpenCL 1.1 CUDA
Basically, the CPU is no longer visible, and the GPU has gone from OpenCL 1.1 to 1.2 compliant. But FAHBench still fails. It gets farther than it did before, where it would crash after a couple of seconds; now, it gets as far as "Checking for accuracy...done" on the explicit test before crashing without any text output.
k1wi

Post by k1wi »

I have updated viewtopic.php?f=38&t=23440 with hopefully all of the new scores.

k1wi
k1wi

Post by k1wi »

rjbelans wrote:
proteneer wrote:no actually i do mean 2 cards working on the same WU - the problem is that kinda don't scale very well when testing internally (and they only work on explicit). I'll probably need to add another flag specifying explicit/implicit - so sorry if I end up breaking all your batch files =P
That may be a bit of an understatement. I did a small check using CUDA and my 590s. Adding one gpu increased the performance by about 33%, adding a third gpu increased the performance about another 25% of the original score, and then a fourth showed no improvement over three. This was done on the same 590s I posted about in the other thread (linked above), but I had a couple of additional things running that may have reduced scores from yesterday. I will have to run this again when I have nothing else to do on this computer to see if the reduction seen on a single gpu from yesterday to today was because of other processes or the change from v0.3 to v0.4.
It'd be quite interesting to see whether your 2 GPU result is helped/hindered by having the SLI bridge on the board. That is, what difference you would have running deviceId 0,2.
Spongebob25
Hardware configuration: Asus z490
i7 11700k
32 GB Gskill ram
Evga 2080 XC Black
1 TB Samsung 980 SSD

Post by Spongebob25 »

Did as you asked. Got--->Error: At least one required implicit or forwarded dependency was not found. Warning: A least one delay-load dependency module was not found. Warning: At least one module has an unresolved import due to missing export function in a delay-load dependent module.

CUFFT32_50_35.DLL--->Error opening file. The system cannot find the file specified.
MSVCR90.DLL--->Error opening file. The system cannot find the file specified.
IESHIMS.DLL--->Error opening file. The system cannot find the file specified.
proteneer
Pande Group Member

Post by proteneer »

Spongebob25 wrote:
Did as you asked. Got--->Error: At least one required implicit or forwarded dependency was not found. Warning: A least one delay-load dependency module was not found. Warning: At least one module has an unresolved import due to missing export function in a delay-load dependent module.

CUFFT32_50_35.DLL--->Error opening file. The system cannot find the file specified.
MSVCR90.DLL--->Error opening file. The system cannot find the file specified.
IESHIMS.DLL--->Error opening file. The system cannot find the file specified.
CUFFT is the culprit here, try to find the folder in which CUFFT32_50_35.DLL is installed, and set your windows PATH to point to that as well.

www.proteneer.com