New web site

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

VijayPande
Pande Group Member

New web site

Post by VijayPande »

We've been working behind the scenes on a revamp of our web site. It went live today (http://folding.stanford.edu/home). This is part of our larger plan to make FAH more friendly and easy to use, especially to non-experts.

With that said, we're now thinking about next steps to make FAH more fun and appealing to experts, such as computer enthusiasts and gamers. We're in the early stages of deciding what would be useful there. If you have ideas, please do give us some feedback. As always, we can't implement everything, but we are curious to see what people think.

http://folding.typepad.com/news/2013/07 ... -site.html
Prof. Vijay Pande, PhD
Departments of Chemistry, Structural Biology, and Computer Science
Chair, Biophysics
Director, Folding@home Distributed Computing Project
Stanford University
billford
Hardware configuration: Full Time:

2x NVidia GTX 980
1x NVidia GTX 780 Ti
2x 3GHz Core i5 PC (Linux)

Retired:

3.2GHz Core i5 PC (Linux)
3.2GHz Core i5 iMac
2.8GHz Core i5 iMac
2.16GHz Core 2 Duo iMac
2GHz Core 2 Duo MacBook
1.6GHz Core 2 Duo Acer laptop

Re: New web site

Post by billford »

I'm sure this isn't quite what you intended, but better proof-reading on (at least some) of your web pages wouldn't do any harm!

Maybe I'm picky (actually, I know I am :wink: ), but a few examples that leapt out at me on this page:

http://folding.stanford.edu/home/guide/ ... ion-guide/

"We'll get their a lot faster ..."

Should be "We'll get there a lot faster ..."

" While SMP and GPU folding is much more scientifically productive compared to their uniprocessor counterpart, they should not be run on machines which can tolerate heavy use."

Should be "While SMP and GPU folding is much more scientifically productive compared to their uniprocessor counterpart, they should only be run on machines which can tolerate heavy use." ?

Under Next Unit Percentage:

"99% is the default."

No it isn't (not on mine anyway), the default is 98%

Seriously, I'll give it some thought.
dc_coder_84

Post by dc_coder_84 »

On this page http://folding.stanford.edu/home/commun ... port/#faqs under the FAQ section these links are not working:
- Introduction to V7 (current software)
- Intermediate V7 FAQ

Please update this. Thank you.
JCM3500

Community support page notation

Post by JCM3500 »

:?: "We are scientists. Citizens. Gamers. Thinkers. Mothers. Brothers. Friends. Family."

No fathers? :?:

John
Helrich

Post by Helrich »

With that said, we're now thinking about next steps to make FAH more fun and appealing to experts, such as computer enthusiasts and gamers.
I moderate a PC hardware/enthusiast forum with just over 25,000 subscribers, and I've tried selling the idea of F@H somewhat unsuccessfully for the following reasons:
Enthusiasts love comparing benchmarks of their hardware (see:http://hwbot.org/, http://www.3dmark.com/hall-of-fame-2/) and not only that, but arguing over which parts are the best based on the results of these benchmarks :roll: . As it stands, I've come across some third-party databases of user-submitted content that shows relative performance of various parts for folding such as PPD, but the manual nature of these services leads to sparse, and sometimes incomparable, data. It would be cool if you could "opt-in" to have the FAHClient submit statistics along with the WUs containing your hardware IDs and PPD/TPF stats, which would then get entered into a query-able database on the site. Now I would imagine this would require additional resources on the back-end to implement, but it's just a suggestion.

Along those lines, it would also be neat to have a "benchmarking mode" that would simulate a fold (yes, a simulation of a simulation :P) for a minute and extrapolate PPD, in a standardized way. This would further aid in hardware comparisons, because I know that some WUs/projects fold better/faster than others.

As a last thought, have you considered contacting Steam (http://store.steampowered.com/about/)? That's the mecca for PC gamers today. You would get a lot more traffic if you got them to publicize F@H. Not too long ago, when they released their Linux client, they had an offer where if you installed Steam on Linux and played one of their games, they'd give you a Tux penguin hat to wear in it. I'm not sure what the numbers are at now, but shortly after the Linux client released, Linux users made up just over 2% of the total user-base (which when you consider that there's over 3 million players in-game on Steam at a single time, is no small number!).
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

billford wrote: Under Next Unit Percentage:

"99% is the default."

This is a known bug with the current 7.3.6 version of the client. It worked correctly in the prior version and hopefully will be fixed.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

billford wrote:I'm sure this isn't quite what you intended, but better proof-reading on (at least some) of your web pages wouldn't do any harm!

Maybe I'm picky (actually, I know I am :wink: ), but a few examples that leapt out at me on this page:

http://folding.stanford.edu/home/guide/ ... ion-guide/

"We'll get their a lot faster ..."

Should be "We'll get there a lot faster ..."

" While SMP and GPU folding is much more scientifically productive compared to their uniprocessor counterpart, they should not be run on machines which can tolerate heavy use."

Should be "While SMP and GPU folding is much more scientifically productive compared to their uniprocessor counterpart, they should only be run on machines which can tolerate heavy use." ?

Under Next Unit Percentage:

"99% is the default."

Seriously, I'll give it some thought.

2nd and 3rd points fixed. Didn't see the "faster" comment on that same page.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

dc_coder_84 wrote:On this page http://folding.stanford.edu/home/commun ... port/#faqs under the FAQ section these links are not working:
- Introduction to V7 (current software)
- Intermediate V7 FAQ

Please update this. Thank you.

Should be fixed. Please give time for the cached version to update the live version.
billford

2x NVidia GTX 980
1x NVidia GTX 780 Ti

Retired:

3.2GHz Core i5 iMac
2.8GHz Core i5 iMac
2.16GHz Core 2 Duo iMac
2GHz Core 2 Duo MacBook

Post by billford »

Ta.
7im wrote:Didn't see the "faster" comment on that same page.
It's in the "Help us reach 1,000,000!" box at the top right.
bollix47

Post by bollix47 »

We'll get their a lot faster if you tell your friends about our project.
http://folding.stanford.edu/home/community-support/
billford

2x NVidia GTX 980
1x NVidia GTX 780 Ti

Retired:

3.2GHz Core i5 iMac
2.8GHz Core i5 iMac
2.16GHz Core 2 Duo iMac
2GHz Core 2 Duo MacBook

Post by billford »

VijayPande wrote:we're now thinking about next steps to make FAH more fun and appealing to experts, such as computer enthusiasts and gamers.
How about completing the current step for Mac users before going on to the next one?

http://folding.stanford.edu/home/guide/#ntoc8
A mature beta version of V7 for OSX is available, and an Install Guide is in progress.
My bold :(
7im

Post by 7im »

bollix47 wrote:
We'll get their a lot faster if you tell your friends about our project.
http://folding.stanford.edu/home/community-support/
Thanks, will get to this shortly. I only checked the page contents last time. That sidebar box is a separate item.
7im

Post by 7im »

billford wrote:Ta.
7im wrote:Didn't see the "faster" comment on that same page.
It's in the "Help us reach 1,000,000!" box at the top right.

The Primary Sidebar box has been fixed. Give it 30 minutes to cache out.
Zagen30
Hardware configuration: Core i7 3770K @3.5 GHz (not folding), 8 GB DDR3 @2133 MHz, 2xGTX 780 @1215 MHz, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit running 7.3.6 w/ 1xSMP, 2xGPU

4P E5-4650 @3.1 GHz, 64 GB DDR3 @1333MHz, Ubuntu Desktop 13.10 64-bit

Post by Zagen30 »

@Helrich:

There is a separate folding benchmarking program called FAHBench. It reports ns/day instead of estimated PPD, and it only runs one particular protein, but otherwise I think it's what you're looking for. It's not actually GPU-only, though to benchmark a CPU you have to download additional stuff, and it's not entirely accurate for them because CPU folding uses a different code base. Perhaps it should be linked to from somewhere on the new webpage, as I didn't see it in a cursory search.

As to an automatic benchmark repository, you'd have to account for hardware that doesn't fold 24/7, as that will skew the PPD figures a great deal. That's hardly a show-stopper, but it would need to be taken into account. I imagine that's more work than they want to do at this time on something that doesn't improve the science.
7im

Post by 7im »

Zagen30 wrote:
Perhaps it should be linked to from somewhere on the new webpage, as I didn't see it in a cursory search.
Added to the Utilities Download page, where Memtest and StressCPU are also located. http://folding.stanford.edu/home/download-utilities (Again, give it a little time to propagate out...)