New web site

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Teza

Re: New web site

Post by Teza »

Under the "science" tab on your new hompage, there is a video in the section "What have we done so far and where are we going?".
In this video there is said that "we now know the structure of over 80000 proteins, in greate detail, 50 years ago we knew two!"

Is it possible to add some form of progress status for this on the web page, and do you know how many poteins there is left to calculate the folding on?
(how many is now known, how many are unknown, next step after these?)
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Post by Jesse_V »

Teza wrote:Under the "science" tab on your new hompage, there is a video in the section "What have we done so far and where are we going?".
In this video there is said that "we now know the structure of over 80000 proteins, in greate detail, 50 years ago we knew two!"

Is it possible to add some form of progress status for this on the web page, and do you know how many poteins there is left to calculate the folding on?
Welcome to the forum Teza,

It is possible I suppose. Along with the Papers page, this blog post does present some good information on how far F@h has come over the years: http://folding.typepad.com/news/2012/06 ... -come.html. However, I don't think it's possible to quantify the number of proteins left to be folded by F@h: the choice of proteins and the areas of study are all subject to the various researchers and scientists who launch projects for us to complete. If they are interested in a particular set of phenomena, they will launch projects in order to be better understand it. I believe that one of them once said that long as there are proteins and other molecular processes left to study, they plan on continuing to use F@h to study them.
Also, just so you know, that video is not from the Pande Group.
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
Zagen30
Hardware configuration: Core i7 3770K @3.5 GHz (not folding), 8 GB DDR3 @2133 MHz, 2xGTX 780 @1215 MHz, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit running 7.3.6 w/ 1xSMP, 2xGPU

4P E5-4650 @3.1 GHz, 64 GB DDR3 @1333MHz, Ubuntu Desktop 13.10 64-bit

Post by Zagen30 »

folding.stanford.edu still points to the old main page. It should probably redirect to the new folding.stanford.edu/home page.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

Zagen30 wrote:folding.stanford.edu still points to the old main page. It should probably redirect to the new folding.stanford.edu/home page.
folding.stanford.edu goes to the new main page for me. Possibly you have the old page cached in your browser?

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Jesse_V
Site Moderator

Post by Jesse_V »

Joe_H wrote:
Zagen30 wrote:folding.stanford.edu still points to the old main page. It should probably redirect to the new folding.stanford.edu/home page.
folding.stanford.edu goes to the new main page for me. Possibly you have the old page cached in your browser?
Yeah the old site shouldn't be accessible.

There are two pages here. The landing page (at folding.stanford.edu) and the home page (at folding.stanford.edu/home). "The landing pages funnels people to start folding. The homepage is for people who have already started folding. It's for scattering people to information and constantly reminding them to share this with their friends."
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
Zagen30
Hardware configuration: Core i7 3770K @3.5 GHz (not folding), 8 GB DDR3 @2133 MHz, 2xGTX 780 @1215 MHz, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit running 7.3.6 w/ 1xSMP, 2xGPU

4P E5-4650 @3.1 GHz, 64 GB DDR3 @1333MHz, Ubuntu Desktop 13.10 64-bit

Post by Zagen30 »

By old site I meant the one with the big "WHAT IF..." I figured the new home page would replace that, but evidently that's being kept. I'm not seeing the old-old page, e.g. the Ready/Set/Fold one.

Kind of odd to not have your home page be the first thing you see, but I guess I see the logic behind keeping the simple pitch.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator

Post by Jesse_V »

Zagen30 wrote:By old site I meant the one with the big "WHAT IF..." I figured the new home page would replace that, but evidently that's being kept. I'm not seeing the old-old page, e.g. the Ready/Set/Fold one.

Kind of odd to not have your home page be the first thing you see, but I guess I see the logic behind keeping the simple pitch.
Yes, the Ready/Set/Fold one was replaced.
The purpose of the two pages is to address two different audiences: 1) those who would be happy with basic information, a download link, and the ability to easily spread the word, and 2) those who are interested in a lot more information. The power-users obviously fall into the latter category, but for years Folding@home has been technical and information-heavy, and it does make sense to try to address the other audience. The trick right now is to figure out how to make the homepage (at folding.stanford.edu/home) more obvious from the landing page at folding.stanford.edu.
Tagus

Post by Tagus »

On http://folding.stanford.edu/home/, it says "The calculations are emense". It should be immense.
On http://folding.stanford.edu/home/donate/, where it says "you can help by downloading", the link leads to the same page instead of opening the download dialog.
Also on http://folding.stanford.edu/home/donate/, Stanford's seal links to its image in the browser. I don't think you want that. (Also, the file is named stanford-univesity-seal.png instead of univeRsity.)
bruce

Post by bruce »

Teza wrote:Under the "science" tab on your new hompage, there is a video in the section "What have we done so far and where are we going?".

The number of proteins left to be studied is undefinable. As more is learned, more questions are asked which need research.

Then, too, there's the question of how much can be studied. Early simulations rarely reached a microsecond and a lot can happen in that amount of time.. As hardware and software has progressed, it's now feasible to simulate a millisecond and there are still things that happen on even longer time-frames. A "long" simulations always always implicit solvent calculations and there are some important advantages in running explicit solvent simulations although they involve much more complex calculations. The bigadv projects were the only way to do those projects but FAHCore_17 and the current crop of powerful GPUs is making that possible on a new scale. Who knows what the next 10 years will bring?
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

immense has been fixed, as will the donate page very shortly.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator

Post by Jesse_V »

7im wrote:immense has been fixed, as will the donate page very shortly.
Thanks. Just so you know, I changed the link to point to stanford.edu, but I wasn't sure how to fix the download. Thanks for taking care of it.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

I updated the seal image file name, then updated the link to file name, then updated the alt text. I also added the correct download scripting link. Copy it from the Windows Install Guide page if you ever need a copy.

Code: Select all

<a class="open-download-dialog" href="#">Download</a>
Jesse_V
Site Moderator

Re: Community support page notation

Post by Jesse_V »

JCM3500 wrote::?: "We are scientists. Citizens. Gamers. Thinkers. Mothers. Brothers. Friends. Family."

No fathers? :?:

John
Good catch. I updated the sentence.
7im wrote:I updated the seal image file name, then updated the link to file name, then updated the alt text. I also added the correct download scripting link. Copy it from the Windows Install Guide page if you ever need a copy.

Code: Select all

<a class="open-download-dialog" href="#">Download</a>
Brilliant, thanks.
7im

Post by 7im »

Family includes Fathers, Uncles, Aunts, Grannies, Gramps, Nephews, Cousins, etc. We don't need to include them all.
Teza

Post by Teza »

Jesse_V wrote:I don't think it's possible to quantify the number of proteins left to be folded by F@h: the choice of proteins and the areas of study are all subject to the various researchers and scientists who launch projects for us to complete. If they are interested in a particular set of phenomena, they will launch projects in order to be better understand it. I believe that one of them once said that long as there are proteins and other molecular processes left to study, they plan on continuing to use F@h to study them.
Also, just so you know, that video is not from the Pande Group.
bruce wrote:The number of proteins left to be studied is undefinable. As more is learned, more questions are asked which need research.

Then, too, there's the question of how much can be studied. Early simulations rarely reached a microsecond and a lot can happen in that amount of time.. As hardware and software has progressed, it's now feasible to simulate a millisecond and there are still things that happen on even longer time-frames. A "long" simulations always always implicit solvent calculations and there are some important advantages in running explicit solvent simulations although they involve much more complex calculations. The bigadv projects were the only way to do those projects but FAHCore_17 and the current crop of powerful GPUs is making that possible on a new scale. Who knows what the next 10 years will bring?
Thanks for clarifying this.

I read somewhere that there was about 200000 different proteins in the body, but I guess that this number might have been taken from someones imagination.
Based on this info and the video, I believed that there was a known number of proteins to be researched in millisecond resolution and after that microsecond resolution.

Thanks