New web site

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Tagus

Re: New web site

Post by Tagus »

The Stanford seal on http://folding.stanford.edu/home/donate/ is not there, though the link does go to http://www.stanford.edu/. Though stanford-university-seal.png doesn't seem to exist, stanford-univesity-seal.png (no R) does.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

I updated all the necessary links for the seal. Not sure why the page hasn't caught up with all the changes yet.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
mdk777

Post by mdk777 »

We are scientists. Citizens. Gamers. Thinkers. Parents. Friends. Family.
Got the inclusiveness correct now.

However, why the use of periods in a list?

Also mixed caps.

Edit: Parents and Family is redundant. :wink:

Options:

We are scientists, gamers, friends and family; anyone civic minded.

Who are we? Scientists Gamers Family Friends Citizens

We are Scientists, Gamers, Family, Friends, Citizens.
Last edited by mdk777 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Transparency and Accountability, the necessary foundation of any great endeavor!
calxalot
Site Moderator

Post by calxalot »

I'd vote for # 3.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

mdk777 wrote:
We are scientists. Citizens. Gamers. Thinkers. Parents. Friends. Family.
Got the inclusiveness correct now.

However, why the use of periods in a list?

Also mixed caps.

Edit: Parents and Family is redundant. :wink:

Options:

We are scientists, gamers, friends and family; anyone civic minded.

Who are we? Scientists Gamers Family Friends Citizens

We are Scientists, Gamers, Family, Friends, Citizens.

It's not a list. It's statement, hence the periods. And is formatted correctly as is, although I would prefer to Caps the Scientist item as well, even if technically incorrect. It just looks more consistent.

Which items to include is always debatable. Parents could be dropped IMO. Maybe there is another better replacement? Writers? Doers? Geeks?
mdk777

Post by mdk777 »

t's not a list. It's statement, hence the periods.

No statement after the first period. Hence, no need for more periods...even if you are simply leaving out correct punctuation(semicolon) and assuming an implied redundancy...We are...Simple spacing would be cleaner than using periods where they are incorrect(commas for separating items in a list, even if they are independent clauses following a semicolon)
Transparency and Accountability, the necessary foundation of any great endeavor!
VijayPande
Pande Group Member

Post by VijayPande »

I know the first line is a bit different in this version of the site and, by being the first line, is probably important as people see it first of course. However, considering it's so different in style, I suggest we leave it as is for a week or two to let the new style sink in and then see from there.
Prof. Vijay Pande, PhD
Departments of Chemistry, Structural Biology, and Computer Science
Chair, Biophysics
Director, Folding@home Distributed Computing Project
Stanford University
JiniHammerer

Post by JiniHammerer »

page
http://folding.stanford.edu/home/donate/

I underlined the phrase that I feel needs to be reworded.

I would think they want it to read something like :
In general, we have needs, both large (e.g. servers, graduate ) and small (memory, hard drives, backup).

Anyway just trying to help.

What would the donation go to?

We are currently raising funds for new servers, to increase server reliability. In general, we have needs large (e.g. servers, graduate students, etc) and small (memory, hard drives, backup).
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Post by Jesse_V »

JiniHammerer wrote:page
http://folding.stanford.edu/home/donate/

I underlined the phrase that I feel needs to be reworded.

I would think they want it to read something like :
In general, we have needs, both large (e.g. servers, graduate ) and small (memory, hard drives, backup).
What would the donation go to?

We are currently raising funds for new servers, to increase server reliability. In general, we have needs large (e.g. servers, graduate students, etc) and small (memory, hard drives, backup).
Fixed. That whole paragraph was pretty old. I'll ask around and see about updating that with more current information as well.
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
N0OA
Hardware configuration: CPU:4 AMD Phenom II X4 910 @ 2.6GHz
CPU:2 Intel Core Duo T2600 @ 2.13GHz
CPU:4 Intel Core i5
CPU:4 Intel Core i5 M520 2.40 GHz
CPU:8 Intel Core i7-2600K @ 3.40GHz
CPU:8 Intel Core i7-3720QM @ 2.6GHz
CPU:7 Intel Core i7-3770 @ 3.40GHz
CPU:8 Intel Core i7-3820QM @ 2.7GHz
CPU:12 Intel Core i7-3930K @ 3.20GHz
CPU:10 Intel Core i7-3960X Hexa-Core 3.3GHz
CPU:10 Intel Core i7-3960X Hexa-Core 3.3GHz
CPU:2 Intel Pentium® D @ 2.80GHz
CPU:30 Intel XEON CPU E5-2687W @3.1GHz (2x)
GPU NVIDIA GT 640
GPU NVIDIA GT218 [NVS 3100M]
GPU NVIDIA GTX 570 HD EVGA
GPU NVIDIA GTX 660 Ti Zotac
GPU NVIDIA GTX 680 EVGA
GPU NVIDIA GTX 680 EVGA
GPU NVIDIA GTX 680 GeForce
GPU NVIDIA GTX 680 GIGABYTE
GPU NVIDIA GTX 680 GIGABYTE
GPU NVIDIA GTX Titan EVGA
GPU NVIDIA GTX Titan EVGA
GPU NVIDIA Tesla K20c

Random thought

Post by N0OA »

I like the new web site... Well done.

See this thread for T-shirt and other incentive comments.

N0OA
7im

Post by 7im »

billford wrote:
VijayPande wrote:we're now thinking about next steps to make FAH more fun and appealing to experts, such as computer enthusiasts and gamers.
How about completing the current step for Mac users before going on to the next one?

http://folding.stanford.edu/home/guide/#ntoc8
A mature beta version of V7 for OSX is available, and an Install Guide is in progress.
My bold :(

Like they said, the OSX Install Guide was in progress. It still is a work in progress, but it's good enough to publish now.

http://folding.stanford.edu/home/guide/ ... all-guide/
orion
Hardware configuration: 4p/4 MC ES @ 3.0GHz/32GB
4p/4x6128 @ 2.47GHz/32GB
2p/2 IL ES @ 2.7GHz/16GB
1p/8150/8GB
1p/1090T/4GB

Post by orion »

Don't you guys think that it may be helpful to new people, and some of us old timers, to put the passkey information under the software button?

I found it for someone but I had to dig to find it.
iustus quia...
bruce

Post by bruce »

The proteen simulation starts out at sub-microsecond resolution and runs until something enlightening happens. Certain things happen in a short period of time; other things don't happen so quickly. If there isn't enough computer power to run the simulation long enough to observe things that happen for, say, a millisecond, either more donors need to join FAH or software must be improved or the world has to wait for computer technology to be improved to provide more computer simulation power to study those things that take longer than can currently be studied.
ChristianVirtual

Post by ChristianVirtual »

Sorry if it was already mentioned:

The link in Linux FAQ is dead for NVidia (AMD I thnk, too). http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-NVIDIA
ImageImage
Please contribute your logs to http://ppd.fahmm.net
7im

Post by 7im »

ChristianVirtual wrote:Sorry if it was already mentioned:

The link in Linux FAQ is dead for NVidia (AMD I thnk, too). http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-NVIDIA

What is the URL of the page with the broken link? There is no Linux FAQ. And the V7 Linux Install Guide has no video links.