New web site

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Re: New web site

Postby 7im » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:42 pm

orion wrote:Don't you guys think that it may be helpful to new people, and some of us old timers, to put the passkey information under the software button?

I found it for someone but I had to dig to find it.


On the software page...
Step 3. Follow the instructions to Start Folding.


The client installation has a prompt for a passkey, and a link to get one. It's also linked from the Install Guides, and linked from the FAQs page. And FAHControl has a link right above the Passkey field that says "Click here to get a passkey..."
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
User avatar
7im
 
Posts: 15237
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:30 pm
Location: Arizona

Re: New web site

Postby PantherX » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:59 pm

Above the Search box, how about "Get a passkey to qualify for bonus points" or something along those lines. The reason being, those donors who have already set-up their systems will not read the installation guide again. Having this small box would be nice since it catches a persons attention and IMO, is better in the long run.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Chrome Folding App (Beta) Ӂ Troubleshooting "Bad WUs" Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
User avatar
PantherX
Site Moderator
 
Posts: 6614
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:33 am

Re: New web site

Postby 7im » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:18 pm

PantherX wrote:Above the Search box, how about "Get a passkey to qualify for bonus points" or something along those lines. The reason being, those donors who have already set-up their systems will not read the installation guide again. Having this small box would be nice since it catches a persons attention and IMO, is better in the long run.



In the search box, type "passkey" ;)
User avatar
7im
 
Posts: 15237
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:30 pm
Location: Arizona

Re: New web site

Postby PantherX » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:39 pm

Humm... I am going to pretend that I just heard passkey and searched for it. With that in mind, the results aren't making much sense to me and has overwhelmed me -> http://folding.stanford.edu/home/?s=passkey

I expected a links to the Passkey FAQ and the site to get one. Instead, what I get is a huge page with lots of "F@H Stuff" and passkey is buried inside of it.

BTW, is this new site "heavy" since it takes more than a few seconds to load on a 4094 kbit/s down and 380 kbit/s up line? Nearly every other site I visit loads within 7 seconds but the new site takes 15s to 20s to load :/

EDIT -> Had interchanged the up and down labels. Now they are corrected.
User avatar
PantherX
Site Moderator
 
Posts: 6614
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:33 am

Re: New web site

Postby 7im » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:56 pm

The site search seems to be behaving differently than I remember. Contacting one of the site admins about it...
User avatar
7im
 
Posts: 15237
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:30 pm
Location: Arizona

Re: New web site

Postby 7im » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:32 pm

Added a link to the Passkey FAQ on The Software page, under More Info...
User avatar
7im
 
Posts: 15237
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:30 pm
Location: Arizona

Re: New web site

Postby Jesse_V » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:45 pm

PantherX wrote:BTW, is this new site "heavy" since it takes more than a few seconds to load on a 4094 kbit/s up and 380 kbit/s down line? Nearly every other site I visit loads within 7 seconds but the new site takes 15s to 20s to load :/

Yeah, it does seem slower than before. I think that was one advantage that the PmWiki base of the old site has over this Wordpress-powered version. I believe Wordpress does MySQL lookups when putting the page together. We installed a caching plugin a while back which seems to have helped though.
User avatar
Jesse_V
 
Posts: 2893
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:44 am
Location: USA

Re: New web site

Postby 7im » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:54 pm

7im wrote:
ChristianVirtual wrote:Sorry if it was already mentioned:

The link in Linux FAQ is dead for NVidia (AMD I thnk, too). http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-NVIDIA



What is the URL of the page with the broken link? There is no Linux FAQ. And the V7 Linux Install Guide has no video links.


Nevermind. I did a global search, and found this old link on the older client download page, and fixed all examples of it.
User avatar
7im
 
Posts: 15237
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:30 pm
Location: Arizona

Re: New web site

Postby orion » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:22 pm

7im wrote:Added a link to the Passkey FAQ on The Software page, under More Info...

Thank you.
iustus quia...
User avatar
orion
 
Posts: 436
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:45 pm
Location: neither here nor there

Re: New web site

Postby Macaholic » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:04 pm

orion wrote:
7im wrote:Added a link to the Passkey FAQ on The Software page, under More Info...

Thank you.


Agreed. A big thanks to both 7im and Jesse_V for all their hard work and time commitment to making these much needed improvements. That kind of commitment and dedication is what keeps on making this community a helpful and friendly place. :biggrin:
Fold! It does a body good!™
User avatar
Macaholic
Site Moderator
 
Posts: 942
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:57 pm
Location: 1 Infinite Loop

Re: New web site

Postby VijayPande » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:12 pm

+1 on props for 7im and Jesse_V
Prof. Vijay Pande, PhD
Departments of Chemistry, Structural Biology, and Computer Science
Chair, Biophysics
Director, Folding@home Distributed Computing Project
Stanford University
User avatar
VijayPande
Pande Group Member
 
Posts: 2662
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:25 am
Location: Stanford

Re: New web site

Postby sortofageek » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:17 pm

VijayPande wrote:+1 on props for 7im and Jesse_V



I'll second that. Wow! :D

Edit: Sorry, Mac. Well said. May I third it? :wink:
User avatar
sortofageek
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3125
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:06 pm
Location: Team Helix

Re: Community support page notation

Postby Stonecold » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:39 pm

JCM3500 wrote::?: "We are scientists. Citizens. Gamers. Thinkers. Mothers. Brothers. Friends. Family."

No fathers? :?:

John

It's political correctness, you can't fight it...

EDIT: nvm didn't re-read the page.
Last edited by Stonecold on Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stonecold
 
Posts: 411
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:20 pm

Re: Community support page notation

Postby 7im » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:57 pm

Stonecold wrote:
JCM3500 wrote::?: "We are scientists. Citizens. Gamers. Thinkers. Mothers. Brothers. Friends. Family."

No fathers? :?:

John

It's political correctness, you can't fight it...


No, it's not PC! And it's already changed twice since this was first posted, so you're way off base.
User avatar
7im
 
Posts: 15237
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:30 pm
Location: Arizona

Re: New web site

Postby ChristianVirtual » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:38 pm

7im wrote:
7im wrote:
ChristianVirtual wrote:Sorry if it was already mentioned:

The link in Linux FAQ is dead for NVidia (AMD I thnk, too). http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-NVIDIA



What is the URL of the page with the broken link? There is no Linux FAQ. And the V7 Linux Install Guide has no video links.


Nevermind. I did a global search, and found this old link on the older client download page, and fixed all examples of it.

Sorry, I tried to find it again but couldn't ... :e(
ImageImage
Please contribute your logs to http://ppd.fahmm.net
User avatar
ChristianVirtual
 
Posts: 1458
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 12:14 pm
Location: 日本 東京

PreviousNext

Return to Discussions of General-FAH topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron