Page 4 of 8

Re: New web site

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:42 pm
by 7im
orion wrote:Don't you guys think that it may be helpful to new people, and some of us old timers, to put the passkey information under the software button?

I found it for someone but I had to dig to find it.


On the software page...
Step 3. Follow the instructions to Start Folding.


The client installation has a prompt for a passkey, and a link to get one. It's also linked from the Install Guides, and linked from the FAQs page. And FAHControl has a link right above the Passkey field that says "Click here to get a passkey..."

Re: New web site

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:59 pm
by PantherX
Above the Search box, how about "Get a passkey to qualify for bonus points" or something along those lines. The reason being, those donors who have already set-up their systems will not read the installation guide again. Having this small box would be nice since it catches a persons attention and IMO, is better in the long run.

Re: New web site

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:18 pm
by 7im
PantherX wrote:Above the Search box, how about "Get a passkey to qualify for bonus points" or something along those lines. The reason being, those donors who have already set-up their systems will not read the installation guide again. Having this small box would be nice since it catches a persons attention and IMO, is better in the long run.



In the search box, type "passkey" ;)

Re: New web site

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:39 pm
by PantherX
Humm... I am going to pretend that I just heard passkey and searched for it. With that in mind, the results aren't making much sense to me and has overwhelmed me -> http://folding.stanford.edu/home/?s=passkey

I expected a links to the Passkey FAQ and the site to get one. Instead, what I get is a huge page with lots of "F@H Stuff" and passkey is buried inside of it.

BTW, is this new site "heavy" since it takes more than a few seconds to load on a 4094 kbit/s down and 380 kbit/s up line? Nearly every other site I visit loads within 7 seconds but the new site takes 15s to 20s to load :/

EDIT -> Had interchanged the up and down labels. Now they are corrected.

Re: New web site

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:56 pm
by 7im
The site search seems to be behaving differently than I remember. Contacting one of the site admins about it...

Re: New web site

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:32 pm
by 7im
Added a link to the Passkey FAQ on The Software page, under More Info...

Re: New web site

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:45 pm
by Jesse_V
PantherX wrote:BTW, is this new site "heavy" since it takes more than a few seconds to load on a 4094 kbit/s up and 380 kbit/s down line? Nearly every other site I visit loads within 7 seconds but the new site takes 15s to 20s to load :/

Yeah, it does seem slower than before. I think that was one advantage that the PmWiki base of the old site has over this Wordpress-powered version. I believe Wordpress does MySQL lookups when putting the page together. We installed a caching plugin a while back which seems to have helped though.

Re: New web site

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:54 pm
by 7im
7im wrote:
ChristianVirtual wrote:Sorry if it was already mentioned:

The link in Linux FAQ is dead for NVidia (AMD I thnk, too). http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-NVIDIA



What is the URL of the page with the broken link? There is no Linux FAQ. And the V7 Linux Install Guide has no video links.


Nevermind. I did a global search, and found this old link on the older client download page, and fixed all examples of it.

Re: New web site

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:22 pm
by orion
7im wrote:Added a link to the Passkey FAQ on The Software page, under More Info...

Thank you.

Re: New web site

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:04 pm
by Macaholic
orion wrote:
7im wrote:Added a link to the Passkey FAQ on The Software page, under More Info...

Thank you.


Agreed. A big thanks to both 7im and Jesse_V for all their hard work and time commitment to making these much needed improvements. That kind of commitment and dedication is what keeps on making this community a helpful and friendly place. :biggrin:

Re: New web site

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:12 pm
by VijayPande
+1 on props for 7im and Jesse_V

Re: New web site

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:17 pm
by sortofageek
VijayPande wrote:+1 on props for 7im and Jesse_V



I'll second that. Wow! :D

Edit: Sorry, Mac. Well said. May I third it? :wink:

Re: Community support page notation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:39 pm
by Stonecold
JCM3500 wrote::?: "We are scientists. Citizens. Gamers. Thinkers. Mothers. Brothers. Friends. Family."

No fathers? :?:

John

It's political correctness, you can't fight it...

EDIT: nvm didn't re-read the page.

Re: Community support page notation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:57 pm
by 7im
Stonecold wrote:
JCM3500 wrote::?: "We are scientists. Citizens. Gamers. Thinkers. Mothers. Brothers. Friends. Family."

No fathers? :?:

John

It's political correctness, you can't fight it...


No, it's not PC! And it's already changed twice since this was first posted, so you're way off base.

Re: New web site

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:38 pm
by ChristianVirtual
7im wrote:
7im wrote:
ChristianVirtual wrote:Sorry if it was already mentioned:

The link in Linux FAQ is dead for NVidia (AMD I thnk, too). http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-NVIDIA



What is the URL of the page with the broken link? There is no Linux FAQ. And the V7 Linux Install Guide has no video links.


Nevermind. I did a global search, and found this old link on the older client download page, and fixed all examples of it.

Sorry, I tried to find it again but couldn't ... :e(