how much data has FAH generated

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

beer

how much data has FAH generated

Post by beer »

I just wondering how much data we have generated?
k1wi

Re: how much data has FAH generated

Post by k1wi »

In what measurement?
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Post by Jesse_V »

The last reliable measurement that I've heard comes from 2009.
http://en.fah-addict.net/articles/artic ... e-home.php
The Folding@Home project has been taken to an unprecedented scale. This is the first - and largest - distributed computing project in the world, in terms of raw power. On our side, we the contributors/clients have a small portion of our drive on which to store data files for the project (no more than the current WU and any pending work items), and at Stanford there is the other. Each WU and result file is carefully preserved. The results for a given project are then combined to create the videos of proteins that have been released by the project.

All of this data is kept in storage servers at Stanford. The terabytes are countless; people speak of more than 400TB of valuable scientific data. However, such storage is very expensive, and the power of the projects equipment is increasing, and the PS3 and the GPU has only increased this need for storage space.

The principle of Storage@Home is simple; data derived from the WUs of Folding clients are sent to your PC. When a server needs to access data that you are mirroring, your computer is accessed and the data uploaded.

However, this system requires some forward planning. First, redundant data must be stored on multiple clients, as it would be disastrous to lose simulation data if John Smith had a hard drive crash. Redundancy also allows load balancing, which enables better data availability for servers. The use of encryption, signature data, and a digital fingerprint ensures that the content has not been modified or damaged, and that the sender is authorised by Stanford.
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
beer

Post by beer »

k1wi: I was thinking of GB/TB etc
Napoleon
Hardware configuration: Atom330 (overclocked):
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Intel Atom330 dualcore (4 HyperThreads)
NVidia GT430, core_15 work
2x2GB Kingston KVR1333D3N9K2/4G 1333MHz memory kit
Asus AT3IONT-I Deluxe motherboard

Post by Napoleon »

Is everything since the very beginning really stored?

I have a vague recollection that some PG member (perhaps Vijay himself?) mentioned that some results have become outdated and deleted. I don't trust my memory on this one though. Could be that some people merely discussed the possibility of discarding some results.
Win7 64bit, FAH v7, OC'd
2C/4T Atom330 3x667MHz - GT430 2x832.5MHz - ION iGPU 3x466.7MHz
NaCl - Core_15 - display
bruce

Post by bruce »

My memory is vague, too, but I think I remember a discussion of remote off-line storage. Certainly Stanford has purchased a lot of RAID, but I sincerely doubt that all of the data is on-line.
kasson
Pande Group Member

Post by kasson »

The quick, approximate answer is likely PB but not EB.
The intent is to retain analyzed data, but it is not always feasible to retain all "primary" data since the start of the project. We always try to retain as many data as we think feasible and that might be useful for other scientists in the future.
I won't speak for Dr. Pande regarding his intentions for the archival practices of the Stanford scientists, though.