Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Re: Potentially offtopic: curecoins ?

Post by Jesse_V »

Silver_Pharaoh wrote:I suppose one way around this is if a server doesn't see any folding being done a WU, it could cancel it and hand that WU out again. Of course, F@H would have to implement some phone home or check up routine in the client.
The algorithm already exists. If the deadline on a workunit expires the server hands out the workunit again. There's no phone home check in the regular cores.
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
Silver_Pharaoh

Post by Silver_Pharaoh »

Jesse_V wrote:
Silver_Pharaoh wrote:I suppose one way around this is if a server doesn't see any folding being done a WU, it could cancel it and hand that WU out again. Of course, F@H would have to implement some phone home or check up routine in the client.
The algorithm already exists. If the deadline on a workunit expires the server hands out the workunit again. There's no phone home check in the regular cores.
Indeed, but I meant on say a regular basis. like if a WU hasn't had any progress in say 6 hours, the client discards it and the server hands it out again.

But, if the client wasn't finished, or say it was paused, the client could ask the servers for that WU back.
Like ther servers could hold onto it for another 6 hours just in case the user wants to finish that WU after it was deleted. :)
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Post by Jesse_V »

Silver_Pharaoh wrote:
Jesse_V wrote:
Indeed, but I meant on say a regular basis. like if a WU hasn't had any progress in say 6 hours, the client discards it and the server hands it out again.

But, if the client wasn't finished, or say it was paused, the client could ask the servers for that WU back.
Like ther servers could hold onto it for another 6 hours just in case the user wants to finish that WU after it was deleted. :)
It's possible to code that, yes, but I think it'd be difficult to argue that it's worth time/money involved with development, testing, documenting, and debugging. It's complicated behavior that would benefit only a small group of people and even then on select occasions. I mean it's a decent idea, it's just not worth it.
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
P5-133XL
Hardware configuration: Machine #1:

Intel Q9450; 2x2GB=8GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460; Windows Server 2008 X64 (SP1).

Machine #2:

Intel Q6600; 2x2GB=4GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460 video card; Windows 7 X64.

Machine 3:

Dell Dimension 8400, 3.2GHz P4 4x512GB Ram, Video card GTX 460, Windows 7 X32

I am currently folding just on the 5x GTX 460's for aprox. 70K PPD

Post by P5-133XL »

You are looking at this only from the perspective of a full-time folder and your small window doesn't work for part-timers. Many people turn off their machines at night and a 6 hour window would create lots of unnecessary duplicate WU's which would waste lots of CPU cycles. There is good reason for deadlines on the magnitude of a week to months.
Silver_Pharaoh

Post by Silver_Pharaoh »

Jesse_V wrote:
Silver_Pharaoh wrote:
Jesse_V wrote: The algorithm already exists. If the deadline on a workunit expires the server hands out the workunit again. There's no phone home check in the regular cores.

It's possible to code that, yes, but I think it'd be difficult to argue that it's worth time/money involved with development, testing, documenting, and debugging. It's complicated behavior that would benefit only a small group of people and even then on select occasions. I mean it's a decent idea, it's just not worth it.
P5-133XL wrote:You are looking at this only from the perspective of a full-time folder and your small window doesn't work for part-timers. Many people turn off their machines at night and a 6 hour window would create lots of unnecessary duplicate WU's which would waste lots of CPU cycles. There is good reason for deadlines on the magnitude of a week to months.
Ahh yes. Good points.

I didn't consider that most people are part time folders :oops:

It could be a solution, if Curecoins makes issues like that. I doubt it will cause problems though :)
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

Moreover, there are some donors who face internet issues on daily basis so having a 24/7 internet connection shouldn't be required by an average donor. Also note that some ISPs provide data cap so how much data is being transferred just for checking the WU? Not something that an average donor should care about.

However, if you consider yourself an enthusiast who can maintain 24/7 internet connectivity and fold 24/7 too, then there is a new experimental FahCore in Beta Testing (viewtopic.php?f=66&t=26218) which does require 24/7 internet connectivity. However, there isn't any ETA as to when those experimental ocores will be available for the public.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
bruce

Post by bruce »

I'm closing this topic, deeming it as, in fact, off-topic.

We have no intention of allowing all varieties of coin mining to use our FAH help forum for free advertising, nor will we allow any specific team to recruit members on our help forum.

This in no way implies that there's anything wrong with CureCoin; only that organizationally, they're completely independent of FAH. This forum is here to help you with FAH. Their forum is there to help you with their activities.
Silver_Pharaoh

Post by Silver_Pharaoh »

bruce wrote:I'm closing this topic, deeming it as, in fact, off-topic.

We have no intention of allowing all varieties of coin mining to use our FAH help forum free advertising, nor will we allow any specific team to recruit members on our help forum.
Not sure what you mean.

It's not like miners mining other coins will flock to this forum for help....

Specific team recruitment - 7im explained to me. To earn Curecoins one must fold for the specific "Curecoin" team.
Which I understand is against the forum rules. - I apologize for that.

But I do respect your stance as an Admin to close the topic.