Potentially offtopic: curecoins ?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

ChristianVirtual

Potentially offtopic: curecoins ?

Post by ChristianVirtual »

This might be (or is certainly) offtopic of regular folding but I saw this and wanted to check if legit ...

http://curecoin.us/index.php?topic=4.0

Something like this ante portas ?

Mods/Admin: feel free to move/remove if not appropriate ...
Last edited by ChristianVirtual on Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Please contribute your logs to http://ppd.fahmm.net
P5-133XL
Hardware configuration: Machine #1:

Intel Q9450; 2x2GB=8GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460; Windows Server 2008 X64 (SP1).

Machine #2:

Intel Q6600; 2x2GB=4GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460 video card; Windows 7 X64.

Machine 3:

Dell Dimension 8400, 3.2GHz P4 4x512GB Ram, Video card GTX 460, Windows 7 X32

I am currently folding just on the 5x GTX 460's for aprox. 70K PPD

Re: Potentially offtopic: curecoins ?

Post by P5-133XL »

It reminds me of this thread: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=24206&p=241896&hilit=bitcoin#p241888
ChristianVirtual

Post by ChristianVirtual »

I'm actually not sure if it's a good idea to get (virtual) money into the world of folding. Sure, everyone (or many) would like to get some support on the power bill associated with folding; but not sure what is the right way beside using disposable regular income.
Today with the clear concept of donation the things are easy and we can focus on getting science done without worry about virtual coins.
Or can someone explain me what the benefit would be ?
Last edited by ChristianVirtual on Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Please contribute your logs to http://ppd.fahmm.net
P5-133XL

Intel Q9450; 2x2GB=8GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460; Windows Server 2008 X64 (SP1).

Machine #2:

Intel Q6600; 2x2GB=4GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460 video card; Windows 7 X64.

Machine 3:

Post by P5-133XL »

The benefit is to get a whole bunch of people folding that wouldn't do so for free.

I see a bunch of potential problems. The biggest is what happens if something goes wrong. If there is a actual monetary value to WU's then PG/Stanford will get sued. Things like changing the point system, releasing a new core, closing down a core, or even releasing a new project that gives more or less PPD can become a problem for them when points mean money.

When money becomes involved, people make purchasing plans. If those plans do not pan out they look for someone responsible to blame. When a core become decommissioned then the HW that uses it may not be capable of folding any more and that means money out of someones pocket: Whos to blame? What happens if there is a big Stat server error and people don't get credited enough or worse a bunch of points get removed then PG gets sued. Lots of bad things can happen and where is the money coming from that pays for the lawsuits?
orion
Hardware configuration: 4p/4 MC ES @ 3.0GHz/32GB
4p/4x6128 @ 2.47GHz/32GB
2p/2 IL ES @ 2.7GHz/16GB
1p/8150/8GB
1p/1090T/4GB

Post by orion »

P5-133XL wrote:When money becomes involved, people make purchasing plans.
True enough but we've also seen people make purchasing plans just on the prospect of getting more points alone.

What I found interesting is this if it's true.
CygnusXI wrote:New 11/14/2013 - Conference call with devs of curecoin and Stanford university on Tues 19th of Nov
iustus quia...
P5-133XL

Machine #2:

Machine 3:

Post by P5-133XL »

orion wrote:
True enough but we've also seen people make purchasing plans just on the prospect of getting more points alone.
But they are much less likely to sue when their plans get messed up if they can't monetize the value of points.
orion
4p/4x6128 @ 2.47GHz/32GB
2p/2 IL ES @ 2.7GHz/16GB
1p/8150/8GB
1p/1090T/4GB

Post by orion »

P5-133XL wrote:
orion wrote:
But they are much less likely to sue when their plans get messed up if they can't monetize the value of points.
Maybe, maybe not. If I buy gold because a broker says that it will only go up but then it goes down can I sue the broker? Will I win?

But still if the quote I quoted is true and Stanford is going to talk with them :wink:
iustus quia...
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Post by Jesse_V »

F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
codysluder

Post by codysluder »

For the purposes of this topic, put me down as a novice. I've done fah for several years, but have never delved into bitcoin/altcoin.

In the past, early in April there have always been questions deducting donations to fah on your taxes. The general thrust of the answers has been: no which is consistent with saying your donation cannot be monetized to satisfy the IRS. Looking at the new concept from the other side, do people have to declare their bitcoin income on their taxes? Can it truly be monetized?
P5-133XL wrote:But they are much less likely to sue when their plans get messed up if they can't monetize the value of points.
jimerickson
Hardware configuration: Parts:
Asus H370 Mining Master motherboard (X2)
Patriot Viper DDR4 memory 16gb stick (X4)
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 gpu (X16)
Intel Core i7 8700 cpu (X2)
Silverstone 1000 watt psu (X4)
Veddha 8 gpu miner case (X2)
Thermaltake hsf (X2)
Ubit riser card (X16)

Post by jimerickson »

i doubt bitcoins are declared on taxes as they supposedly can't be traced.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Post by Jesse_V »

jimerickson wrote:i doubt bitcoins are declared on taxes as they supposedly can't be traced.
I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure taxes apply somewhere when you convert them back to native currency. Could be wrong about that though.

This is getting a bit off topic, but BTC transactions are recorded in the public ledger, (called the blockchain) which anyone can look at. It shows X BTC were transferred from wallet Y to wallet Z. For example, here's a random transaction that just appeared on blockchain.info: https://blockchain.info/tx/1c62166e758b ... d912037019 Figuring out the original owner is the trick. :)
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
bruce

Post by bruce »

I'm no expert either, <humor> but if I were the judge, I'd look the plaintiff straight in the eye and say "You claim that FAH has defrauded you. Submit your last three year's tax returns and we'll see how much income you lost in actual dollars." :D</humor>
orion
4p/4x6128 @ 2.47GHz/32GB
2p/2 IL ES @ 2.7GHz/16GB
1p/8150/8GB
1p/1090T/4GB

Post by orion »

Until the government, at least here in the states, figures out that there's something in it for them and can find a way to lighten your wallet even more (tax) of bitcoin or curecoin I wouldn't worry about it.
iustus quia...
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Except if you have been keeping up with current events, the US government has been moving in that direction, trying to add Bitcoin currency to the list of other monetary vehicles that it regulates.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
CygnusXI

Post by CygnusXI »

7im wrote:Except if you have been keeping up with current events, the US government has been moving in that direction, trying to add Bitcoin currency to the list of other monetary vehicles that it regulates.
Yes, I have been watching the BTC senate hearings ( as much as i can stand to hear a bunch of senators talk about cryptocurrency when they clearly have a lot to learn). In fact, many people may not be aware of this yet too

federal-judge-rules-bitcoin-is-real-money
http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill ... eal-money/

The Curecoin Foundation is being built in fully legal manner, and we already have lawyers working on the paperwork to make Curecoin Foundation its own entity, which will be solely responsible for any loss that might occur. Meaning that if someone decides to sue someone because they did not get paid on a WU, then the only entity they can sue will be my foundation. This will protect Stanford and FAH from any problems.

Also, to put everyone at peace with the project, if it is determined that Curecoin is impossible to launch without adverse effects to FAH, then I will halt the project completely. Currently the Curecoin Dev team has many great devs, and investors all ready to make Curecoin a real innovation. This project has the aid of many CS experts. Recently someone trained in CS by NASA has expressed their desire to join the dev team :D . Expect good things.

I dont have much time to reply to all the posts on the forum curecoin.us , but my team will likely answer any questions in a timely manner. Feel free to read over the info there. Some of the info is outdated as the project is still making changes to ensure security of the system.

Thanks all for you interest and your time
CygnusXI