Potentially offtopic: curecoins ?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

ALUCARDVPR

Re: Potentially offtopic: curecoins ?

Post by ALUCARDVPR »

My two favorite worlds mingle. Subbed for interest.
Spongebob25
Hardware configuration: Asus z490
i7 11700k
32 GB Gskill ram
Evga 2080 XC Black
1 TB Samsung 980 SSD

Post by Spongebob25 »

This seems like an interesting idea. I would like to see a break down on how this would work?
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Spongebob25 wrote:This seems like an interesting idea. I would like to see a break down on how this would work?
Google curecoin.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
VijayPande
Pande Group Member

Post by VijayPande »

Some donors have asked me to make a official statement about this. I've been talking with those proposing CureCoin, but we have not agreed to go forward with it as of yet. As many have pointed out, this is a complex situation and not one that I'd want to jump into without vetting it carefully.
Prof. Vijay Pande, PhD
Departments of Chemistry, Structural Biology, and Computer Science
Chair, Biophysics
Director, Folding@home Distributed Computing Project
Stanford University
CygnusXI

Post by CygnusXI »

I want to thank all the members of the folding forum for your interest and support / comments good and bad. Some members of the forum have reached out to me, and we are all learning from each other. Here is another Curecoin thread I just stumbled on
http://forums.evga.com/tm.aspx?m=2070770

I announced that Im currently looking for fund matching for a $5000 USD donation to the FAH servers. I have $5000 + standing by to donate, and it will be donated with no obligations, its just a donation. Its still Vijay's decision whether or not he wants to officially endorse Curecoin.

Vijay is obviously a busy man, luckily some forum members here took some time out to handle the little tasks with me that Vijay should not have to deal with. When the time comes I hope to give these members credit where credit it due. Certain members of this forum have offered great help to make CureCoin a reality. Not just some tiny project like it started out to be. Again, many thanks to the members who have supported and guided me in this project.

I raised enough money to send over $5000 to the FAH servers. If anyone is interested in helping me boost this fundraiser then lets make it happen. If we can get a good fund matching going Id be willing to donate up to 100k USD.

Im trying to be active on this forum , my own forum curecoin.us, and many others. If you have the time please join me on Curecoin.us forum where I am most active.

Thanks for your time
Joshua Smith AKA CygnusXI
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

This happens to be a good time of the year to get one last tax deductible donation in before the year ends. At least in the US, fah is a nonprofit organization and so donations are therefore tax deductible according to federal guidelines.

Also note that some employers will match their employees charitable contributions, so you may be able to stretch those funds even more.

As always, consult your financial or tax advisor or tax software beforehand to know what impact it may have on lightening your tax burden.
ChristianVirtual

Post by ChristianVirtual »

I still would like to understand how my folding contribution can be securely identified with non-unique user IDs and a supposed secret passkey.
Also right now is only one team possible; mandatory to sign up. Do we need to leave our current teams and the grown community there in order to be eligible for coins ? Not sure about others, but I like my team; without going in more details (this forum is very team neutral). If money comes into the game this might be at risk. Somehow two question I still can't find any answer to and would appreciate if CygnusXI could a bit more elaborate on.

In addition I would suggest that only fully released projects (from psummary) are eligible for coins, no beta units as those sometimes are faulty or getting finetuned with respect to points. That will just reduce potential discussions on lost coins and keep the focus on testing; and not money making.

I hope the CureCoin will not turn folding into pure business ... If it helps folding and attract new donors it's a great idea. If I can offset some of my energy cost I'm also not unhappy (and could fold more :D )
ImageImage
Please contribute your logs to http://ppd.fahmm.net
7im

Post by 7im »

For this test phase, yes, you need to fold for one specific team. That demonstrates you have control over your folding effort. There is little incentive to join their team otherwise. That is how they know you are you.

You can't just claim to be the top fah user "anonymous" and claim all that users points unless you can move all that points production over to a specific team.

Going forward, there will need to be some other kind of authentication to allow for any team membership, IMO.

Points are points, beta or not. If you run beta, you assume the risk of not getting points. If that also means you don't get coins, that's also a risk you assume, or don't assume by not running beta WUs. CureCoin has no way to determine WU type anyway, so not even feasible.
ChristianVirtual

Post by ChristianVirtual »

My point with beta WU is also: there will be even more rush on units by everyone. That might influence the feedback to the developer as committed beta tester get less units to fold. Maybe not a problem, but something to be considered from my point of view.

Determination on type of WU depend on the interface between Stanford and CC. If Stanford would disclose the finished WU data and credited points to public (donor name, WU, credit) to drive the ledger there would be a way.
Problem is : user name is not unique ...
ImageImage
Please contribute your logs to http://ppd.fahmm.net
7im

Post by 7im »

There is an untrue myth that beta WUs earn more points and that already hurts beta testing and feedback. Curecoin only increases donors. They may or may not have heard the myth.
gimpy

Post by gimpy »

Are you freaking kidding me!!!!! My (supposedly non folding by thought policy posts) deleted and THIS relevant??????
fangfufu
Hardware configuration: 4 cores on a Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K

Post by fangfufu »

I have friends who think that rather than running Folding@Home, I should be mining Litecoin, and donate part of the proceedings for charity. I have been folding for 7+ years now, so I am going to keep folding.

The reality is that quite a lot of people I know are profit driven. I have always had hard time to convince them that Folding@Home is a good idea. I think this Curecoin idea can get more people onboard with protein folding, if it is done correctly.

Personally I think the curecoin and F@H should be done as separately legal entity, and the EULA for curecoin should state that the curecoin foundation takes all the blame for every bad thing that might happen. :P
Folding with 4 cores on Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K

I first started folding back in the Google Compute days!
CygnusXI

Post by CygnusXI »

fangfufu wrote:I have friends who think that rather than running Folding@Home, I should be mining Litecoin, and donate part of the proceedings for charity. I have been folding for 7+ years now, so I am going to keep folding.

The reality is that quite a lot of people I know are profit driven. I have always had hard time to convince them that Folding@Home is a good idea. I think this Curecoin idea can get more people onboard with protein folding, if it is done correctly.

Personally I think the curecoin and F@H should be done as separately legal entity, and the EULA for curecoin should state that the curecoin foundation takes all the blame for every bad thing that might happen. :P
Unfortunately many people are jumping ship from folding to mine Litecoins. Curecoin does aim to bring balance back to this.
Personally I think the curecoin and F@H should be done as separately legal entity, and the EULA for curecoin should state that the curecoin foundation takes all the blame for every bad thing that might happen.
This is the plan exactly. Curecoin will take any blame and have its own TOS for using the system. FAH need not worry about any problems. One part that will go into my terms of service to use the curecoin folding payout system will have an agreement to the end user to let them know points or coins not rewarded by using the system is a risk they take. After all, the main goal of Curecoin is to promote more folders, the main goal is not to make folders rich (although if Curecoin paid very well the results could get interesting very fast :) ). If the coin can pay for electricity to fold and maybe an extra folding GPU or two than our goal will have been reached.

In my time zone its now new years eve. Happy new year to everyone at FAH forums!
Bill1024

Post by Bill1024 »

Why not just have PG pay a penny per 100 points (or what ever the payout rate has to be) so that all the computer power is directed at FAH and not mining?
And folders can stay on their teams and there are no lost computer cycles going to who know what all that "mining" computer power it self, is being used for.
P5-133XL
Hardware configuration: Machine #1:

Intel Q9450; 2x2GB=8GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460; Windows Server 2008 X64 (SP1).

Machine #2:

Intel Q6600; 2x2GB=4GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460 video card; Windows 7 X64.

Machine 3:

Dell Dimension 8400, 3.2GHz P4 4x512GB Ram, Video card GTX 460, Windows 7 X32

I am currently folding just on the 5x GTX 460's for aprox. 70K PPD

Post by P5-133XL »

I really don't think that PG has the income necessary to pay people to fold.