Teams in Folding@Home

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

fangfufu
Hardware configuration: 4 cores on a Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K

Teams in Folding@Home

Post by fangfufu »

I have been folding for a team for the past 4 years. I am wondering if it is time for a change. How does everyone select their team? Is it worthwhile to change my team?
Folding with 4 cores on Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K

I first started folding back in the Google Compute days!
ChristianVirtual

Re: Teams in Folding@Home

Post by ChristianVirtual »

By interests outside of folding in my case ... The team I'm folding with consists mainly of members of a regular forum having a certain category of computer and technology in mind. Not allowed to tell you which one here :roll:

If you folded until now for one team just stick there; your ranking remain there and you can't carry over points to a new team. So you start by zero. Your overall points of course remain under your user.

You can also make your own team ...
Last edited by ChristianVirtual on Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Please contribute your logs to http://ppd.fahmm.net
sortofageek
Site Admin

Team Neutral Policy

Post by sortofageek »

Just a gentle reminder to all to keep any discussion team neutral. Site forum policies are here.

TIA for cooperation.
sorto'
fangfufu

Post by fangfufu »

Hmm, since points from the current team does not carry over to the new team, I think I am going to move to another team when I graduate from university / get a new laptop. I think changing a team would be a useful way to commemorate changes in my life.

I am currently folding using some 4-year old hardware. I think I definitely want to have a permanent record of the amount of WUs it folded after I replace it.

PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

fangfufu wrote:...I think I definitely want to have a permanent record of the amount of WUs it folded after I replace it.
It depends on how you define permanent record. If you want an actual list of WUs that were assigned to your system, you may use a third party application for that. HFM.NET is a popular one (https://code.google.com/p/hfm-net/) but there are others too (viewtopic.php?f=14&t=52).

If you are interested only in the total WUs and the points, you can either take a screenshot of the official Stats (or third party if you want) and/or generate a certificate from the provided link before you start folding on the new hardware. The reason is that the official stats are cumulative so all WUs submitted under the same Username/Passkey combination is seen as one entry in the WU Database. Alternatively, you could use the same username but a new passkey for the new system. However, it is common amongst donors to only use a single passkey and username for folding but some choose different usernames but same passkeys for various reasons.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
kiore

Post by kiore »

Even though you cannot transfer your points you will have a combined points individual rank within the project.
I have folded for 4 teams including the inevitable default team when I failed to enter my team number on a system once.
People chose teams for various reasons, for technical support, for competition, for shared interest etc etc. Starting your own team may be a way of inviting friends to join in. As noted before retiring your old system you can take a screen shot and award it an honourable retirement..
i7 7800x RTX 3070 OS= win10. AMD 3700x RTX 2080ti OS= win10 .

Team page: http://www.rationalskepticism.org
fangfufu

Post by fangfufu »

Is there a place full of FAH team adverts? I find it slightly weird that you can just join any team by typing in their team number, without having to ask the people in the team.

ChristianVirtual

Post by ChristianVirtual »

Enjoy the freedom of choice ... Combined with the pain of choice :roll:

Eventually there is no process in place to manage team memberships. But I also would make it meaningful selection an not just join any team coming in mind.
The only official place to find references to teams and their home pages is here: http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/mai ... =teamstats
Each team can have their homepage mentioned; you can visit them and decide if you want to fold for that team. How they manage their own homepage/forum etc is up to them.
ImageImage
Please contribute your logs to http://ppd.fahmm.net
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

While you can join any team by typing in the team number, please note that incorrect team numbers would be mapped to default team.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
J_M_Ward

Post by J_M_Ward »

I have just been instrumental in starting a new team, DavesComputerTips (226448), and I would like to credit it with my points earned so far. Unfortunately it looks as though that cannot be done, but could you confirm that please?
bruce

Post by bruce »

Points cannot be moved from one person to another, from one passkey to another, or from one team to another. You have to be using the team number when the WU is downloaded and uploaded for them to go to that team.