2 molecules simultaneously computation

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Bandersnatch

2 molecules simultaneously computation

Post by Bandersnatch »

potentially offtopic
Most of the time client (cpu) computes 2 molecules simultaneously (or even 3), and just sometimes only 1 molecule. Is it software optimisation only/most effective cpu usage, or 2 molecules are related to each other and must be computed as conjuncted pair?
JimboPalmer

Re: 2 molecules simultaneously computation

Post by JimboPalmer »

As always, every single time, our answers would be better if we could see the 'system' portion of your log.

The current default setup for FAH is to have one CPU client running on as many threads as is wise, and one GPU client per whitelisted video card.

You CAN configure multiple CPU clients, but in general you will do less scientific work.

Each client works on one molecule. So the number of molecules worked on is the number of clients. (FAH frequently downloads the next Work Unit when 99% done with the current one, but does not start that one until the current one finishes)
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

The picture looks like 2 or 3, but it is always only one protein.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
bruce

Post by bruce »

7im wrote:The picture looks like 2 or 3, but it is always only one protein.
This is a known bug in the viewer.

Mathematically, the analysis takes place in a box, or rather an infinite number of boxes stacked up in 3 dimensions. Mathematically, the protein is in each of the boxes, but the viewer only shows one. If the protein happens to cross one or more boundaries, it also crosses the opposite boundary and any atoms that disappear (in the viewer) reappear entering the box from the opposite side.

The viewer needs to be smart enough to glue those pieces back together before it displays it.

Have you tried Folding Atomata - a 3rd-party protein viewer for F@h? I recommend it.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Post by Jesse_V »

Thanks Bruce, but my viewer doesn't piece those pieces back together because I don't have access to enough information to solve the problem. I do think my viewer looks better than the official F@h one, but then I'm biased. :)
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
bruce

Post by bruce »

:(

I knew you were working on it and that you needed more information, but I had hoped that you'd figured out a way to guess how the pieces needed to fit together. Unfortunately it looks like it's not a high enough priority for PG. :P

The proteins I fold seem to stay inside the box when I look at them.
davidcoton

Post by davidcoton »

Is this related to wrapping Christmas presents? When I fold paper round a box, the box doesn't always stay inside.... :) :lol:

D.
bruce

Post by bruce »

No, it's more like trying to wrap a new puppy/rabbit which keeps pushing its way out of the box long before you have time to get the wrapping paper. :mrgreen: :lol:

Mathematically speaking, there are prisms which make the part that has escaped the box appear like it's still inside the box.
Bandersnatch

Post by Bandersnatch »

JimboPalmer wrote:As always, every single time, our answers would be better if we could see the 'system' portion of your log.

The current default setup for FAH is to have one CPU client running on as many threads as is wise, and one GPU client per whitelisted video card.

You CAN configure multiple CPU clients, but in general you will do less scientific work.

Each client works on one molecule. So the number of molecules worked on is the number of clients. (FAH frequently downloads the next Work Unit when 99% done with the current one, but does not start that one until the current one finishes)
For example, project 6099 screenshot
Bandersnatch

Post by Bandersnatch »

bruce wrote:
7im wrote:The picture looks like 2 or 3, but it is always only one protein.
This is a known bug in the viewer.

Mathematically, the analysis takes place in a box, or rather an infinite number of boxes stacked up in 3 dimensions. Mathematically, the protein is in each of the boxes, but the viewer only shows one. If the protein happens to cross one or more boundaries, it also crosses the opposite boundary and any atoms that disappear (in the viewer) reappear entering the box from the opposite side.

The viewer needs to be smart enough to glue those pieces back together before it displays it.

Have you tried Folding Atomata - a 3rd-party protein viewer for F@h? I recommend it.
Thank you. I read about it, but there is no win porting yet. Jesse_V wrote might be it will be ported to javascript, so I'll be able to try