how do i get most ppd

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

JimboPalmer

Re: how do i get most ppd

Post by JimboPalmer »

Looks like there are three different cards called a GT 730, one has 1/4 as many shaders as the other two, so will do less than 1/4 the points. It is also only has 7/9 as fast a clock.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop ... ifications
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
kbless551

Post by kbless551 »

I will look into getting a 2nd card, thx. Also, am I able to use the -advmethods flag and get better results? I get one slot running a job that pays only 207 credits with a 2nd job getting 1000 that runs in less than 2/3 the time, pisses me off. Compare the Work Queue 00 and 01

Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

You get the most points by running a single CPU slot using as many cores as available. Running multiple CPU slots like you are showing is why you are not getting higher points. The other thing shown is that the credit is just the base points, as mentioned earlier in the responses you need to have a passkey set to get bonus points. The base points vary in relation to the size of the WU.

Please post the first 100 lines of your log file, instructions on this are part of the Welcome to the Forum topic - viewtopic.php?f=16&t=26036.

As a first step you should get and enter a passkey - http://folding.stanford.edu/home/faq/faq-passkey/#ntoc3. Then pause all but one CPU folding slot and set the slot to use as many CPU cores as available after reserving one for your GPU slot. Once finished, delete the slot and run one of the remaining slots the same way until done. Keep the last CPU slot.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
kbless551

Post by kbless551 »

Thank you, I guess I misunderstood what they were telling me yesterday. I have been folding on autopilot for a long time, but now that I am retired, I have become OCD about maximizing it. Though not a noob or dumb end user, I have found myself in a steep learning curve. I appreciate all the help, hope i can pay it forward someday..........
FAMAS

Post by FAMAS »

kbless551 wrote:I will look into getting a 2nd card, thx. Also, am I able to use the -advmethods flag and get better results? I get one slot running a job that pays only 207 credits with a 2nd job getting 1000 that runs in less than 2/3 the time, pisses me off. Compare the Work Queue 00 and 01

the correct and efficient way to set the flag is to go to configure option, then expert, then add in extra client options, set name to client-type and value to advanced. for even more advanced work units with bigger points, set flag to bigadv.
rwh202
Hardware configuration: 8x GTX 1080
3x GTX 1080 Ti
3x GTX 1060
Various other bits and pieces

Post by rwh202 »

FAMAS wrote:the correct and efficient way to set the flag is to go to configure option, then expert, then add in extra client options, set name to client-type and value to advanced. for even more advanced work units with bigger points, set flag to bigadv.
Although that is the correct way to set flags, bigadv is not applicable and long retired. 'Advanced' gets spicier WUs that may or may not get slightly more points, but comes with the risk of being less stable.
Joe_H
Site Admin

Post by Joe_H »

FAMAS wrote: the correct and efficient way to set the flag is to go to configure option, then expert, then add in extra client options, set name to client-type and value to advanced. for even more advanced work units with bigger points, set flag to bigadv.
This method may work, but is not necessarily the "correct" way. Options set in the Expert tab will apply to all work slots, sometimes persons will only want to fold using advance on one type of WU and slot and leave the other on normal F@H projects.

As mentioned, bigadv is no longer active and has not been for at least a year. When it was active it applied to systems with 24 cores or more available.

FAMAS

Post by FAMAS »

Joe_H wrote:
FAMAS wrote: the correct and efficient way to set the flag is to go to configure option, then expert, then add in extra client options, set name to client-type and value to advanced. for even more advanced work units with bigger points, set flag to bigadv.
This method may work, but is not necessarily the "correct" way. Options set in the Expert tab will apply to all work slots, sometimes persons will only want to fold using advance on one type of WU and slot and leave the other on normal F@H projects.

As mentioned, bigadv is no longer active and has not been for at least a year. When it was active it applied to systems with 24 cores or more available.
the same flag setting can be done in slots tab for individual slots. has all big advanced work units been entirely finished?
Joe_H
Site Admin

Post by Joe_H »

The Bigadv set of projects with the additional bonus they got ended January 2015. Some large WU projects that used the same A5 folding core and flags were running for a time later that year, but WU assignments ran out by early this year.

kbless551

Post by kbless551 »

I found an nVidia GTX 750 ti on craigslist for a good price, supposed to pick it up later. Anybody know the best driver version to use?
Joe_H
Site Admin

Post by Joe_H »

The latest version driver reported to work for folding is 373, do not use any of the 375 downloads as they break folding on Core_21. Others may post on what they consider best for a 750ti.

kbless551

Post by kbless551 »

Thanks, I knew there were issues