Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

rwh202
Hardware configuration: 8x GTX 1080
3x GTX 1080 Ti
3x GTX 1060
Various other bits and pieces

Using a charity to run folding?

Post by rwh202 »

Has anyone here already considered (or indeed created) a United Kingdom charity for the purpose of volunteering computing resources to F@h or other medical research projects? After a brief read of the UK Charity Commission’s website it seems possible that such a charity would meet their requirements for ‘purpose’ and ‘public benefit’.

There could be several large financial benefits if folding was being run as a charitable endeavour. For each £1000 donated to a charity, they could claim back £250 gift aid from HMRC and a further £1000 as charity matching from eligible employers and then purchase computer equipment zero VAT rated to give an equivalent of £2700 spending power on hardware (or £2250 on energy since I don’t think there is a VAT saving over what consumers already pay).

Does anyone see an obvious flaw in this arrangement? If not, I’m tempted to give it a go on an individual scale, but I could also see potential for a larger scale ‘colocation’ type service that others could donate to.
ChristianVirtual

Re: Using a charity to run folding?

Post by ChristianVirtual »

a nice idea, but is there any indication that a charity must benefit a domestic receiver ? With F@H being a project from US based Stanford University I would not be sure that the UK would support that. Hope for you I'm wrong ;-)
ImageImage
Please contribute your logs to http://ppd.fahmm.net
rwh202
3x GTX 1080 Ti
3x GTX 1060

Post by rwh202 »

ChristianVirtual wrote:a nice idea, but is there any indication that a charity must benefit a domestic receiver ?
A UK registered charity can work internationally provided that the benefit is legal under UK law and there are plenty of examples such as disaster funds, providing medical assistance to other countries, mosquito nets etc. that are currently operating. Also, diseases like Alzheimer's and cancers don't seem to respect geographic boundaries so I don't think that should be a blocker...

Right now, I'm tempted to give it a go - the worst they can do is say no!
fangfufu
Hardware configuration: 4 cores on a Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K

Post by fangfufu »

I live in York (in England), if there is anything I could do to help, please let me know.
Folding with 4 cores on Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K

I first started folding back in the Google Compute days!
benji

Post by benji »

Same offer here, I live in Somerset UK, willing to offer a hand if need be!
rwh202
3x GTX 1080 Ti
3x GTX 1060

Post by rwh202 »

Thanks for the offers.
My free time is being stretched by overrunning renovations and decorating at the moment. Once that's done I'll kick off the paperwork and see where it goes...
Anton Thynell
Pande Group Member

Post by Anton Thynell »

Interesting! I look foward to see this evolve.