NOVA: Genetically Engineering Almost Anything

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Alan C. Lawhon

NOVA: Genetically Engineering Almost Anything

Post by Alan C. Lawhon »

While giving some thought to writing a letter to Paula S. Apsell, the Senior Executive Producer of PBS's long running "Nova" science program, (including a suggestion that she consider commissioning a program on protein folding - which might have the beneficial side effect of generating a great deal of new interest in FAH), I ran across this fascinating article:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/next/evolu ... ne-drives/

It's not hard imagining the possibilities for eradicating virtually all genetically transmitted diseases, (i.e. Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, Multiple Sclerosis, AIDS, sickle cell anemia, various forms of cancer, cystic fibrosis, you name it ...), if this rapidly maturing technology bears fruit. On the other hand, it's not too hard imagining the nightmare that could be unleashed if this technology is misused or someone with evil intent decides to try and wipe out a population. (An obvious nightmare scenario would be another Adolph Hitler coming to power and deciding that "gene drives" are a much more efficient means - than death camps or crematoriums - for committing genocide.) I'm not sufficiently educated to understand all this, but I wonder if (and how) gene drives can be applied to protein folding/misfolding and whether these techniques can be applied to the general problem of protein misfolding?

On the question of approaching Paula Apsell concerning the possibility of a program on protein folding, I would be grateful for any suggestion(s) any of you might have that I could include in a formal letter. Two thoughts I have right off the bat would be to suggest that Ms. Apsell have her producers get in touch with Dr. Pande as well as Dr. Shaw. (If there is interest in producing a program for nationwide broadcast, I would think NOVA's producers would be interested in highlighting the two different approaches to molecular biology and folding simulation - supercomputer modeling versus distributed computing - and how each approach complements the other. Also, if NOVA's producers do extended interviews with Dr. Pande and Dr. Shaw, that can only help to attract more participants/folders to FAH.)

The one problem/concern I can envision being expressed by Ms. Apsell and her staff might be whether a 50 to 55 minute program on protein folding might be "too complicated" for the lay public to understand or be interested in. Therefore, any suggestions on how to make this "interesting" and appealing to NOVA's viewership - which I can include in the letter to Ms. Apsell - would be greatly appreciated. If you would feel more comfortable sending your suggestions to me privately, fire your email off to me at: aclawhon@hiwaay.net.

I'll take all suggestions into consideration and start working on a draft. As my letter begins taking shape, I'll periodically post the draft here in this thread for comments. When we (working as a team) eventually have a presentable draft, I'll dot all the "i's", cross all the t's, send it off to Ms. Apsell - and hope for the best. (The worst that can happen is Ms. Apsell turns us down. On the other hand, the best that can happen is a decision to go forward with an eventual broadcast program that airs nationwide on PBS. Who knows, in one fell swoop, Vijay might have those one million new folders that he/we are looking for ...)
Kurtis200200

Re: NOVA: Genetically Engineering Almost Anything

Post by Kurtis200200 »

See also the University of Washington's Institute for Protein Design (which incidentally feeds work to the BOINC Rosetta@Home project); while not affiliated with Folding@Home or Stanford University, any current discussion of genetic engineering should at least acknowledge the work being done there, and it doesn't hurt that the IPD also touts computational biology as a scientifically- and socially-worthwhile effort.