Using AWS to increase productivity

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

kmkelleher

Using AWS to increase productivity

Post by kmkelleher »

I know very little about cloud computing, but those with whom I have spoken highly recommend Amazon Web Services. Does anyone know how I might install the F@H client on AWS servers to increase processing power? I need to absolute 'for Dummies' approach.
Zagen30
Hardware configuration: Core i7 3770K @3.5 GHz (not folding), 8 GB DDR3 @2133 MHz, 2xGTX 780 @1215 MHz, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit running 7.3.6 w/ 1xSMP, 2xGPU

4P E5-4650 @3.1 GHz, 64 GB DDR3 @1333MHz, Ubuntu Desktop 13.10 64-bit

Re: Using AWS to increase productivity

Post by Zagen30 »

It's no different than installing it on a computer you have physical access to. Go to the main F@h page and find the installation guide for the OS you plan to use; they're pretty hold-your-hand. Linux will be cheaper than Windows, so if you go that route, you may have to follow the Terminal Installation instructions in the guide, as the AWS instance might not have a GUI.

One thing to keep in mind- if you were thinking of folding on the free Micro tier they give out for a year, it's probably not worth it. I tried that about a little over a year ago, thinking that anything I contributed through it was better than nothing, but I stopped once I saw that most WUs were missing the deadlines. The micro tier doesn't get you even one dedicated CPU core, just whatever time is available on any cores that happen to be free. This can be extremely sporadic, and I don't think the FAH software does too well on such inconsistent processing power.
ChristianVirtual

Post by ChristianVirtual »

... Plus if you go with spot-instance you need a good backup methodology for your running WU in order to be ready to move to a new instance once your current got terminated due to bidding limits. Happen easy.
Once you started a WU it is expected to finish it; failing so will increase the risk to disqualify your passkey for Quick Return Bonus.
ImageImage
Please contribute your logs to http://ppd.fahmm.net
kmkelleher

Post by kmkelleher »

Wow! Thanks!